6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 09, 2022, 01:13:12 PM
Trailer I'm curious to know would you back the current leader and if not, who would you like to see replace him?

I like Colum and I think he's a fantastic politician but he needs to recognise that internally the party is a mess. If he can bring in someone or appoint a team to sort out structures and organisation then I'd be happy if he stayed on. But he's wrong that SDLP voters lent votes to SF. You don't need to lend votes in a PR election. People went out and chose to vote SF 1,2,3. We need to change that.

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 09, 2022, 10:45:25 AM
Quote from: marty34 on May 09, 2022, 09:05:42 AM
Yeah, it's totally a symbolic thing.  I think that's the main reason the DUP will not go in again.  They set their stall up a few months re: protocol when they saw the series of opinion polls and they were lagging behind SF. This was when they made the statement about protocol must be sorted. 

They don't see nationalists as equals.
They only do equality on their terms.
Nationalists must call them out on this and use this mantra to the media.

Aoife Moore was on RTÉ yesterday saying SF were driving the re-united Ireland theme and that it was ironic that FFG etc. in the 26 counties have no interest...and them so called republican parties.

SF must be pleased about their move in Derry to replace their two mla's there with new candidates.  Worked out really well for them.

DUP, after losing votes, but holding a lot of seats will be happy enough I think.  They'll be delighted that Allister is just back in himself.

Alliance got a lot of the 4th and 5th seats and will be delighted. Be interesting to see will this replicate into council seats at the next local elections.

SDLP will be shocked. Typical Derry city bluster under Eastwood. He needs to be asked the hard questions.

UUP didn't get much from the Beattie bounce but always said they have to shrink before they grow. Maybe he's right to stick at it.

Aontú - the mirror opposite to the TUV. With the backing of the bishops and the CC, they haven't made much inroads. Be interesting to see will you see their candidates stand again in the local elections.

Green Party - lost two seats and everyone disappointed about that, whatever political party you support. Again, they'll have to build from the bottom up.

PBP - Carroll the single mla again. Squeezed out again.

Whats does Derry City bluster  mean? is that a comment in general about Derry or what is it?

Educate yourself also about Aontú, TUV, catch yourself on, starting to sound like Allison Morris, disgraceful how she and others were trying to push this narrative.

Colum, Derry Ciry bluster like you saying people were told to vote Alliance in the Creggan...lol...were told to!

Like stopping Brexit and going to the birthday party in Armagh...bluster feom the city men.

Aontú are a one issue party - mirror image of TUV with Peadar as leader. Right wing, as loads of others on here have said but you argue with everyone.
I gave all shades of green a vote/preference last Thursday and was delighted to do so. 

Join us in an effort to move the re-unifacation of our country on in the short term. Whatever shade of green you are - don't stand on the sidelines sniping.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/53592270-98aa-4030-812a-dc019461b8d7

Unionists pointed out the DUP, together with the Ulster Unionist party and the Traditional Unionist Voice, actually garnered some 17,000 more votes than nationalist groups in Thursday's elections. They increased their vote share to 42 per cent, while the nationalist proportion slipped fractionally to just over 39 per cent.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 09, 2022, 11:21:53 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 09, 2022, 10:50:22 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 09, 2022, 09:57:28 AM
I think Aontú done "ok". Considering the first nationalist FM at stake it was always going to be hard to make inroads.
They beat PBP who are an established party now. Weren't too far behind the greens either. They were not the complete write off that many predicted.
The right candidate in the right area (West belfast?) With a fleshed out policy document could have a chance of a seat in the future.

Aontú done ok, lots of second and third preferences but need to get into a dog fight with high first preferences to make them worthwhile. I think you are right but, an analysis of the spread of votes going forward would be good.

SF getting 2 seats in Derry is no surprise but the fact that they done it with 2 untested and unknown individuals probably points more to the electorate buying quite a bit into the FM thing.

Im not happy that McLaughlin got in SDLP, nasty piece of work

Looking forward to seeing the NW get its share of investment, it could be a long wait

What have you got against McLaughlin? You've not a kind word to say about anyone Fear lol

Lol.

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 09, 2022, 12:26:32 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on May 09, 2022, 12:22:11 PM
Fear just because you disagree with Abortion doesn't mean you have to take a dislike to everyone/every party that doesn't go along with that. They had a vote in the south and bar Donegal they voted it in.
Think whatever side you come down on re abortion you need to have respect for the other because it is such an emotive and divisive issue. That video is disgraceful tbh.

Agree Armagh - emotive issue.

marty34

Quote from: Eire90 on May 09, 2022, 12:29:45 PM
so is will eastwood stay as sdlp leader becuase the dont have anyone else good enough.

Mallon would be a good choice. Replicate O'Neill.

Comes across well and is well respected.

Not sure if she's not an mla would help but would be a safe pair of hands.

Heard it mentioned a few times over the week-end on tv and radio that people thought, because she was a minister etc. that she was safe and voted for other candiates.

Very plausible.

yellowcard

So the DUP have confirmed that they will block the formation of a new executive by refusing to nominate ministers. Disgraceful, anti-democratic yet not surprising. They continue to think that they run the place. 

keep her low this half

Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2022, 01:46:58 PM

Unionists pointed out the DUP, together with the Ulster Unionist party and the Traditional Unionist Voice, actually garnered some 17,000 more votes than nationalist groups in Thursday's elections. They increased their vote share to 42 per cent, while the nationalist proportion slipped fractionally to just over 39 per cent.

The overall unionist vote was down compared to the last assembly election by about 3.5%. Nationalist vote was down about 0.5%

marty34

Quote from: yellowcard on May 09, 2022, 01:52:27 PM
So the DUP have confirmed that they will block the formation of a new executive by refusing to nominate ministers. Disgraceful, anti-democratic yet not surprising. They continue to think that they run the place.

Unionism doesn't do equality.

trailer

I think Alliance are harbouring some soft Nationalist votes. We need to win those back. Obv they hold some Unionist votes as well.
Alliance have got a pretty free run. The lovely middle ground. We don't offend anyone. All is great. Lets all get along. I'd say they'll have a target on their backs from now on.

NAG1

Quote from: keep her low this half on May 09, 2022, 01:58:37 PM

The overall unionist vote was down compared to the last assembly election by about 3.5%. Nationalist vote was down about 0.5%

Dont be playing into the Unionists hands on this one, this vote share makes absolutely no difference in a PR election.

Pengelly was out trotting out this exact stat, trying to giving it some credence.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: yellowcard on May 09, 2022, 01:52:27 PM

Stop their pay with immediate effect. No other job in the work can you not turn up for work and still get paid. Won't impact wee Jeff as he'll be back in London this time next week getting Parliamentary salary and expenses. Maybe Colum can point that out to him given how big his voice is in Westminster.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: marty34 on May 09, 2022, 01:45:45 PM
Yeah, it's totally a symbolic thing.  I think that's the main reason the DUP will not go in again.  They set their stall up a few months re: protocol when they saw the series of opinion polls and they were lagging behind SF. This was when they made the statement about protocol must be sorted. 

Aoife Moore was on RTÉ yesterday saying SF were driving the re-united Ireland theme and that it was ironic that FFG etc. in the 26 counties have no interest...and them so called republican parties.

SF must be pleased about their move in Derry to replace their two mla's there with new candidates.  Worked out really well for them.

DUP, after losing votes, but holding a lot of seats will be happy enough I think.  They'll be delighted that Allister is just back in himself.

Alliance got a lot of the 4th and 5th seats and will be delighted. Be interesting to see will this replicate into council seats at the next local elections.

SDLP will be shocked. Typical Derry city bluster under Eastwood. He needs to be asked the hard questions.

UUP didn't get much from the Beattie bounce but always said they have to shrink before they grow. Maybe he's right to stick at it.

Aontú - the mirror opposite to the TUV. With the backing of the bishops and the CC, they haven't made much inroads. Be interesting to see will you see their candidates stand again in the local elections.

Green Party - lost two seats and everyone disappointed about that, whatever political party you support. Again, they'll have to build from the bottom up.

Whats does Derry City bluster  mean? is that a comment in general about Derry or what is it?

Educate yourself also about Aontú, TUV, catch yourself on, starting to sound like Allison Morris, disgraceful how she and others were trying to push this narrative.

Colum, Derry Ciry bluster like you saying people were told to vote Alliance in the Creggan...lol...were told to!

Like stopping Brexit and going to the birthday party in Armagh...bluster feom the city men.

Aontú are a one issue party - mirror image of TUV with Peadar as leader. Right wing, as loads of others on here have said but you argue with everyone.
I gave all shades of green a vote/preference last Thursday and was delighted to do so. 

Join us in an effort to move the re-unifacation of our country on in the short term. Whatever shade of green you are - don't stand on the sidelines sniping.

What are your republican credentials. PM if you like. I have never ever given a first preference to a non republican party and I am voting republican since SF were on 10% when we were still wakening up to Brits standing over our beds. I have seen people brutalised and shot by both the army and RUC and have been attacked myself by both them and loyalists.  I certainly don't need you to tell me anything about what Derry City men have or havent done for a UI.

Aontú are a left wing party on economics but described as socially conservative on the question of abortion. This seems beyond your ability of understanding, I cant help with that

Franko

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 09, 2022, 02:05:15 PM

What are your republican credentials. PM if you like. I have never ever given a first preference to a non republican party and I am voting republican since SF were on 10% when we were still wakening up to Brits standing over our beds. I have seen people brutalised and shot by both the army and RUC and have been attacked myself by both them and loyalists.  I certainly don't need you to tell me anything about what Derry City men have or havent done for a UI.

Aontú are a left wing party on economics but described as socially conservative on the question of abortion. This seems beyond your ability of understanding, I cant help with that

;D ;D ;D

My da's in the ra

I'll have you shat

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Franko on May 09, 2022, 02:08:14 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 09, 2022, 02:05:15 PM

;D ;D ;D

My da's in the ra

I'll have you shat

I think a bit too old for my da to be in the Ra lol