Children no longer to be taught heading a football

Started by GetOverTheBar, February 24, 2020, 05:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Am I stuck in the mud? I don't really agree with this however it is just in training.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51614088

dec

There has been something similar in the US now for a couple of years.

https://ayso.bluesombrero.com/Default.aspx?tabid=935720

"Safety is very important to AYSO as a whole. In 2016, the policy was revised to ban heading for divisions U-12 and below to ensure that players are older and more developed when attempting heading to avoid preventable head injuries. (Previously, heading was banned through U10, but this was revised to include U-12's.)"

Eamonnca1

Hacking, or kicking in the shins, was once considered an integral part of the game. Times change.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 24, 2020, 05:31:55 PM
Hacking, or kicking in the shins, was once considered an integral part of the game. Times change.

Fair point, but you could never score a goal by hacking the man in front of you. It's a skill of the game taken away from the youth. With the relative light modern balls....is it too little too late in this instance?

Rossfan

A mate of mine always reckoned the levels of stupidity in soccer arose from heading the ball.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orior

The people suffering most are those that played when the ball was twice the weight.

Garrison sports, harrumph!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rudi

Great idea, not a soccer man, played centre half in a few charity games. Opposition goalkeeper kicks ball as far as he can, my job is to head the ball with interest back to him. Its completely f#cktarded & couldn't be good for your health. The English invented this game, just saying.

mrdeeds

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 24, 2020, 05:42:33 PM

Fair point, but you could never score a goal by hacking the man in front of you. It's a skill of the game taken away from the youth. With the relative light modern balls....is it too little too late in this instance?

Research done on new lighter balls actually showed heading same affect as they travel at a much faster speed so force is essentially the same.

J70

Makes perfect sense to me with all the research coming out in the past ten years.

I shudder when I think back to my regular playing days in midfield or centre back. Got the bell rung quite a few times.

One coach when I went to uni used to make me stand in the centre of the field and have the keeper kick the ball out to teach me to get up and get a good head on it. I hadn't worked on that part of my game up until that point. Was a lot of fun on a freezing, miserable winter's night with a cold, hard, heavy ball.

seafoid

If heading is banned maybe players should be allowed to hold the ball in their hands. The EPL could be rearranged on a county basis

https://youtu.be/BC7Xv7kHiZ4
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omaghjoe

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 24, 2020, 10:50:01 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 24, 2020, 05:42:33 PM

Research done on new lighter balls actually showed heading same affect as they travel at a much faster speed so force is essentially the same.

Wud be very dependant on trajectory, if your heading a big ole wet leather ball that has been hoofed up in air its always gonna have more more force behind it

Pearse Blue

Not make a whole pile of difference to us, when was the last time a header was scored in GAA?

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

J70

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: J70 on February 25, 2020, 12:59:58 PM
Quote from: Orior on February 25, 2020, 12:16:37 PM
But boxing is still okay?

Is it?

I don't know any kids who box.

Age is irrelevant. Boxing always goes on weight....so you can start anytime once your about 5-6 stone (36ish kg)