3 retirements announced

Started by Declan, September 09, 2010, 09:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Browne, Kavanagh & Ryall retire from Inter-County Hurling
Written by: Oisin Kearns on 9th September 2010

Three of the Longest serving Hurlers have announced their retirement -Tony Browne from Waterford along with Kilkenny defensive pair of Michael Kavanagh and James Ryall have decided to hang up their boots.

Deise hurler Browne made his championship debut for Waterford in 1992 and went on to win four Munster senior hurling titles, scoring a important goal in the first of those victories for Waterford. He collected the first of his three All Star awards and the Hurler of the Year award in 1998. He joins fellow Deise stall-worth Dan Shanahan into retirement.

Kilkenny hurlers Michael Kavanagh(31) and James Ryall(29) have brought their inter-county careers to a close after last Sunday's All-Ireland final defeat to Tipperary where neither saw any action.

Kavanagh was the right corner-back for Kilkenny four in row, but Ryall has only been used from the bench since the 2006 All-Ireland final.

After stunning playing careers Kavanagh has 7 & Ryall 6 All-Ireland senior medals, with Kavanagh holding the record for the most Leinster medals ever won with the one county, having won 12.

Best of luck to the lads and thanks for the memories. Would have loved to have seen Browne get that elusive celtic cross but like many great players before him it wasn't to be.

Minder

Is it right about Ryall and Kavanagh because there was a thread on Kkcats.com that was removed as they quoted KCLR as the source. KCLR asked them to remove the thread as it hadn't come from them?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AFS

Apparently Browne says he won't make up his mind til December.

gallsman

If true, Micky Kavanagh will go down as one of the greatest hurlers in history.

johnneycool

Quote from: Minder on September 09, 2010, 10:06:51 AM
Is it right about Ryall and Kavanagh because there was a thread on Kkcats.com that was removed as they quoted KCLR as the source. KCLR asked them to remove the thread as it hadn't come from them?

Those were the three names given on 2FM this morning, so there might be a grain of truth in them.

Kavanagh didn't get much game time this year but he's some medal haul to look back on even by Kilkenny standards.

I didn't think Ryall was that old, what age is he?

Disappointed Browne didn't get his celtic cross as that crop of Waterford lads had their chances but didn't get the luck that you sometimes need.

gallsman

Quote from: johnneycool on September 09, 2010, 10:43:44 AM
Quote from: Minder on September 09, 2010, 10:06:51 AM

Those were the three names given on 2FM this morning, so there might be a grain of truth in them.

Kavanagh didn't get much game time this year but he's some medal haul to look back on even by Kilkenny standards.

I didn't think Ryall was that old, what age is he?

Disappointed Browne didn't get his celtic cross as that crop of Waterford lads had their chances but didn't get the luck that you sometimes need.

Ryall only 30 odd I think, if that. Hasn't seen much action over the last few years but was more than capable when coming on against Cork.

Browne was an unreal hurler, to think he was Hurler of the Year as long ago as 1998 (Kavanagh's first season) makes you appreciate the service he gave all the more.

Minder

According to AFR, Ryall and Kavanagh have both denied retiring and the Examiner and Rte are using an Internet forum as their source.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lilpaulie85

Browne himself said on the radio this morning he won't even consider his future till at least December. Also the KK county board have stated that both players in question had no desire to quit the panel.
Chase the dream not the competition.

saffron sam2

Quote from: gallsman on September 09, 2010, 10:41:01 AM

If it's false will he not?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

gallsman

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 09, 2010, 02:47:11 PM

If it's false will he not?

Poor choice of words perhaps, you know what I meant.

imtommygunn

He was a good solid corner back but he wasn't (or won't be) an all time great.

Players like Martin Hanamy, Eddie O'Connor, Ollie Canning (and the list goes on) were every bit as good as him and better.

Excellent player no doubt but not all time great material.

Reillers

It's sad to see great players go, best of luck to whichever of these are true, if not all, as they've been tremendous for the county and the game itself.

If it's not true, the people who come up with is, I mean really people, get a life.

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 10, 2010, 09:59:16 PM

He was a good solid corner back but he wasn't (or won't be) an all time great.

Players like Martin Hanamy, Eddie O'Connor, Ollie Canning (and the list goes on) were every bit as good as him and better.

Excellent player no doubt but not all time great material.

I have to respectfully disagree. The only thing Kavanagh lacked was that little bit of pace. I've rarely seen a hurler who can read the game as well as he could or hurl in some of the tight spots he made getting out of easy. Went into the starting 15 straight out of minor (before any of the current crop) and seven All-Irelands later will go down as one of the best. The only contemporary you've offered is Canning and I think Kavanagh was every bit as good and then some.