Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Where was McCurry? Thought he was back in the fold?

youhavenofans

Quote from: tyroneman on January 07, 2019, 11:26:38 AM
Where was McCurry? Thought he was back in the fold?

away on holidays in Oz

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on January 06, 2019, 09:00:45 PM
Ah the new handpass rule is a pile of tripe. It's going to encourage negativity if anything. Gallen had two efforts and I thought he didn't look comfortable with either, really seemed to force it. However it was a horrible day for off the ground. I would question his presence around the area, feel like the goal shouldn't have happened. I think O'Neill is in bother, he is well down the pecking order but the absence of Bradley might just save him.

The intention behind the new handpass rule is presumably to discourage the slow build up play and to encourage teams to leave more forwards in position. Yesterday we saw that this did not happen. Instead both teams set out as they otherwise would have, except that when building the play up around the 45s they kicked more shorter passes where they would previously have handpassed, in order to save their handpasses for when they were needed. You also had instances of lads turning around and kicking backwards or sideways when an attack was building nicely, simply because the 3 handpass limit was reached, the opposition had extra men behind the ball so no kickpass was on, and the player in possession was afraid of being caught.

Therefore the rule has resulted in more inconsequential kicking around the middle third in order to meet the requirements of the rule, but hasn't encouraged teams to launch more ball into the full forward line (why would they) or keep more men up the pitch, as per the spirit of the rule.

This could have been easily predicted before the rule was ever trialed. I have no qualms about writing this rule off at this early stage and hope the trial does not continue into the League.

Therealdonald

Just enquiring if anyone heard any interesting tit-bits from the holiday? Specifically the absence of the backroom team and a possible player in a spot of bother? I heard a bit of info at work today but wouldn't read much into it unless someone else had heard the same.

LeoMc

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 07, 2019, 06:06:24 PM
Just enquiring if anyone heard any interesting tit-bits from the holiday? Specifically the absence of the backroom team and a possible player in a spot of bother? I heard a bit of info at work today but wouldn't read much into it unless someone else had heard the same.
FFS. What goes on tour stays on tour. Leave the lads some space to unwind.

GetOverTheBar

I'd be more disappointed if a group of 30 or so lads went away to a place like that and didn't get themselves into bother.

Let them bate away, soon they'll be locked up with no social lives for however many months. Get it out of the system. I'd have went to Vegas personally.

omaghjoe

f**k that lads

What happened Thereadonald?

superstar_

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 07, 2019, 06:06:24 PM
Story doing the rounds that the player in bother was abducted?

TwoUpTwoDown

1 N Morgan,
 2 L Rafferty, 3 HP McGeary, 4 C McLaughlin,
 5 B McDonnell, 6 R Brennan, 7 P Harte, 
8 C. Grugan, 9 B. Kennedy,
10 N Sludden, 11 C McCann, 12 R Gray
13 D. Mulgrew, 14 C. McShane,  15 R O'Neill,

Interesting team for tonight. There's am opportunity for some and a sprinkle of experience also. Although he kicked the odd score, I thought young Gray was a weak enough link. One time in particular he gave away a silly free and Mickey near lost it. Good to see a bit of continuity in the midfield and I'll be keen to see how  both McDonnell and McLaughlin go, as both impressed in their last games.

TyroneOnlooker

No sign of matty donnelly or padraig mcnulty to date. Presume matty is being rested for mckenna cup. Has mcnulty left the panel? will do well to keep his place with big kennedy and crugan going well.

southtyronegael

According to Sean cavanaghs book, canavans winning free against Armagh in 05 semi was kicked into the canal end. That's news to me!

TwoUpTwoDown

I imagine that both could be taking time away. I'd be surprised if McNulty has walked but maybe he has? Just recently married so he could be taking some time to himself, which nobody could hold against him.

omagh_gael

Pretty crap fair tonight. At half time there were more scores in the Man City game than in Healy Park!

It was a nothing game and this dynamic was clear to see in the player's attitude. Just doing enough to get over the line.

Some points of interest:

- Niall Morgan had some excellent kick outs and found some great footpasses up the field from open play. Was brave stopping a Fermanagh goal chance and put over an Excellent free from behind the 45 out towards the stand.

- Kyle Coney done well when he came on. Some nice foot passes and added more directness to our play. Scored an absolute beauty off the outside of the left from around the 45.

- don't know how HP got man of the match. He done alright but hardly had a pile to do and rarely was on the ball imo. Would have given it to Brian Kennedy myself. He might be a great find this year. Big lad and can tackle very well. Grugan also played well.

- handpass rule is an utter ball of shite. First time I've seen it live and it stiffles the game completely. Adds no extra fluidity and encourages silly short sideways kick passes or long kick passes back into defence to 'reset.'

bigpackiechestout

Team for Sunday:

1. Gallen
2. A. McCrory
3. HP McGeary
4. McKernan
5. M. Cassidy
6. R Brennan
7. B. McDonnell
8. McClure
9. Kennedy
10. C McCann
11. Coney
12. McShane
13. L. Brennan
14. R. O'Neill
15. R. Sludden

omagh_gael

Mickey showing massive faith in Ronan O'Neill. Am I right in thinking he started every match? Didn't show a pile on Wednesday night.