The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Angelo on April 07, 2021, 11:11:53 AM
I wouldn't agree that SF have lost voters to the SDLP at all.

They grew their vote in the last assembly election. They went down in the Westminister elections but SF run on an abstentionist ticket so their vote drive is never as strong as it is on an Assembly election. It was also notable the context in Brexit and bombastic claims made by Eastwood and how he would stop Brexit.

I expect SF will probably stay steady in the next Assembly election whereas the SDLP could be in for a rude awakening.

The big issue is how will unionism hold up, will the TUV run more candidates and can they tap into the discontent with the UUP/SDLP now.
The only thing preventing me from voting SDLP again is current leadership of Eastwood and our local SDLP representative, they express no policy other than a but SF. If they can change that and become a progressive nationalist party I would vote for them. There is a lot of what SF do that I don't like, such as the storey funeral, but they have a lend of my vote for now. To keep it they need new leadership and a bit of sense.

Milltown Row2

They grew their vote in the last assembly election. They went down in the Westminister elections but SF run on an abstentionist ticket so their vote drive is never as strong as it is on an Assembly election. It was also notable the context in Brexit and bombastic claims made by Eastwood and how he would stop Brexit.

I expect SF will probably stay steady in the next Assembly election whereas the SDLP could be in for a rude awakening.

The big issue is how will unionism hold up, will the TUV run more candidates and can they tap into the discontent with the UUP/SDLP now.

Do you think that stupid SF voters sided with SDLP on these claims of stopping brexit? Id have thought the voters on SF to be very smart
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 07, 2021, 11:59:08 AM

Do you think that stupid SF voters sided with SDLP on these claims of stopping brexit? Id have thought the voters on SF to be very smart

I think there are a number of people who are not party attached and voted for Colum on his pledge to stop Brexit the last time out.

I think those people won't be voting for Colum again.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

johnnycool

All politics are local and you get the impression that some of the SF candidates in the North West weren't exactly picked on merit if you know what I mean..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on April 07, 2021, 12:03:18 PM

I think there are a number of people who are not party attached and voted for Colum on his pledge to stop Brexit the last time out.

So are they floaters? So just vote whatever the wind blows in their favour
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 07, 2021, 12:07:08 PM

A certain element absoluteley. When the GFA was signed the SDLP voting base began to make the move to SF in significant numbers.

6th sam

Quote from: Angelo on April 07, 2021, 12:08:24 PM

A certain element absoluteley. When the GFA was signed the SDLP voting base began to make the move to SF in significant numbers.

That's fair but in realty  SF vote has increased mainly on that basis. The overall UI vote hasn't really increased in the way expected from the demographics. I'd like to see the anti-DUP vote harnessed more. Unionists are never going to vote SF but may vote alliance . If "Green🇨🇮" vote can increase in keeping with demographics and soft unionists are attracted by Alliance and greens, then we could see a different dynamic .

Angelo

Quote from: 6th sam on April 07, 2021, 01:02:13 PM
Quote from: Angelo on April 07, 2021, 12:08:24 PM

That's fair but in realty  SF vote has increased mainly on that basis. The overall UI vote hasn't really increased in the way expected from the demographics. I'd like to see the anti-DUP vote harnessed more. Unionists are never going to vote SF but may vote alliance . If "Green🇨🇮" vote can increase in keeping with demographics and soft unionists are attracted by Alliance and greens, we'll make progress .

Absolutely. SF just need to worry about solidifying their base. The rest needs to be more of a case of the demographics shifting towards a more central point away from staunch unionism.

Parties like the Alliance and Greens won't be a barrier to a UI. The voting base of the likes of PBP probably overwhelmingly support it.

It's all about diluting the stranglehold of intransigent 1950s Unionism.

Angelo

Embarrassing stuff from Mallon in Stormont today. Not a hint of awareness of their own little contribution to the events that are happening now.

smelmoth

Quote from: Angelo on April 08, 2021, 02:00:00 PM
Embarrassing stuff from Mallon in Stormont today. Not a hint of awareness of their own little contribution to the events that are happening now.

Which was?

Angelo

Quote from: smelmoth on April 08, 2021, 02:28:30 PM

Which was?

Calling the Assembly together over the refusal to accept the Bobby Storey verdict. They jumped into the bed with the DUP and unionists to ratchet up tensions because they could score some political points over a funeral that happened 9 months ago.

tiempo

Quote from: Angelo on April 08, 2021, 02:31:01 PM

Which was?

Calling the Assembly together over the refusal to accept the Bobby Storey verdict. They jumped into the bed with the DUP and unionists to ratchet up tensions because they could score some political points over a funeral that happened 9 months ago.

SF going well on all fronts at the minute, largest party on the island, something the quislings on this site also refuse to accept

Milltown Row2

Which was?

Hold on, the events at Storeys funeral should have and where looked at, they were wrong on so many levels. The results came back from that report and the DUP were outraged, which is fair enough considering the rule breaking that went on. Storey having that send off while we had limited numbers at my dads sticks in my throat.

The issues of the protocol and sea border are just other issues that have been stoked up to send these halions out onto the streets.

If the SDLP stepped out of line regarding a funeral, SF would have reacted with same comments.

You're no different to sticking the boot into political parties than Sid.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 08, 2021, 04:19:16 PM

Which was?

Hold on, the events at Storeys funeral should have and where looked at, they were wrong on so many levels. The results came back from that report and the DUP were outraged, which is fair enough considering the rule breaking that went on. Storey having that send off while we had limited numbers at my dads sticks in my throat.

The issues of the protocol and sea border are just other issues that have been stoked up to send these halions out onto the streets.

If the SDLP stepped out of line regarding a funeral, SF would have reacted with same comments.

You're no different to sticking the boot into political parties than Sid.

The SDLP did step out of line regarding a funeral.

They did this purely for political point scoring.

SF could easily have whipped up the frenzy over the Sean Graham bookies incident. They did not, they calmed a tense situation down.

What the SDLP did was despicable, it was chance opportunism, they jumped into bed with the DUP and should take responsibility for some of the consequences this week.

Milltown Row2

News flash, SF have been in bed with unionist/policing board since the gfa