AFL threaten GAA over future player recruitment

Started by Tubberman, August 01, 2007, 08:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

These AFL guys are really annoying me now  >:(
They are so arrogant, treat the GAA like dirt and as if they can walk all over them.

Any decision to permanently scrap the International Rules series would lead to AFL clubs launching a mass recruitment drive in Ireland, Sydney Swans coach Paul Roos has warned.

As Mayo's Pierce Hanley prepares to become the latest young GAA star to try his hand in Aussie Rules, Roos has claimed that respect for the International Rules series is the only thing that has prevented AFL clubs from launching a full-scale recruitment raid before now.

But with the future of the hybrid game in grave doubt, wealthy clubs Down Under are preparing to plunder the cream of young Irish talent to get around the AFL's restrictive draft and salary cap rules.

"One of the things that has probably stopped teams tapping into Ireland with a lot of finance is respect for the hybrid game of International Rules," said Roos, who counts Listowel's Tadhg Kennelly among his star players.

"If that's not going to go on, I'd say there's going to be a massive approach by all clubs to get the best kids out of Ireland."

The GAA and AFL are due to discuss the future of the Rules series sometime after next month's All-Ireland finals.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Balboa

the procastenator

TacadoirArdMhacha

There was no widespread loss for the years in the late 80s and 90s when there was no Compromise/ International Rules, would it be much different? Can understand how tempting it for any promising GAA player though. I have to be honest and say that if I was in the same position as the lads that have gone down under, I'd do the same thing.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Tankie

I really dont see what can be done here, the gaa can do nothing to stop these players from going over and the Aussies are taking anyone willing to go at the mo anyway.
Grand Slam Saturday!

stephenite

Not a thing anyone can do about it,  It's only going to get worse, every promising underage player in the country will be getting someone to video their matches and stick the best bits up on Youtube and send the link to AFL clubs to see if they'll sign them up.

This attitude of blaming the AFL is ignorant to say the least, the players are here and are willing to go - why wouldn't the Aussies take them.

We'd be a lot better off trying to figure out how we ( the GAA ) can try and address the problem than whinging about the situation as it stands.
Every player that has come out to Oz has said that the offer to be a full time professional sportsman was too much to turn down, every young persons dream etc. Fact of the matter is that the cream of our talent will not be satisified with the honour of pulling their County jersey , and not getting anything in return.

The only answer I can see is for the association to be in a position to offer a professional contract to players - now hands up everyone here who wants to go that road?

pintsofguinness

We'd be a lot better off trying to figure out how we ( the GAA ) can try and address the problem than whinging about the situation as it stands.
But you're after saying there's not a thing that can be done about it.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

stephenite

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2007, 10:11:18 AM

And if you read my entire post you'd have noticed that I went onto give an opinion on how best to stop them, do you have an opinion yourself or are you too busy half reading other posts so you can jump in an offer some meaningless, non entity of a comment.
::)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: stephenite on August 19, 2007, 11:35:30 AM

And if you read my entire post you'd have noticed that I went onto give an opinion on how best to stop them, do you have an opinion yourself or are you too busy half reading other posts so you can jump in an offer some meaningless, non entity of a comment.

Oh I'm sorry was this a serious proposal?  I thought you were joking.
QuoteThe only answer I can see is for the association to be in a position to offer a professional contract to players - now hands up everyone here who wants to go that road?

I've offered my opinion on this before.  There aren't to many Martin Clarkes in the GAA and there aren't to many with the talent and ability to suceed at Aussie Rules.  They may coax our best youngsters away but very few will make it and will return in a few years better players than when they went.  The Aussies will soon get sick of this and you'd imagine youngsters would start to think long and hard about the move if they see a lot not making it. 
Now I'm not particularly worried about the Aussies and maybe I'm wrong but the one thing we can't do do is start offering contracts. 

neilthemac

GAA players are members of their clubs - they sign a membership form.

by rights they need a transfer to leave that club for another GAA club.

The GAA should negotiate a deal with AFL clubs that any player that does go to Oz, then his club must get compensated for losing that player??

stephenite

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2007, 12:00:48 PM
Quote from: stephenite on August 19, 2007, 11:35:30 AM

Oh I'm sorry was this a serious proposal?  I thought you were joking.
QuoteThe only answer I can see is for the association to be in a position to offer a professional contract to players - now hands up everyone here who wants to go that road?

I've offered my opinion on this before.  There aren't to many Martin Clarkes in the GAA and there aren't to many with the talent and ability to suceed at Aussie Rules.  They may coax our best youngsters away but very few will make it and will return in a few years better players than when they went.  The Aussies will soon get sick of this and you'd imagine youngsters would start to think long and hard about the move if they see a lot not making it. 
Now I'm not particularly worried about the Aussies and maybe I'm wrong but the one thing we can't do do is start offering contracts. 

I don't agree with going professional either, but I see the rate of young players going over as something the association should be worried about, and fear it might only continue. I hope your right, and there is nothing to worry about.

As it is over the last few years Laois, Down, Mayo have lost their best young prospects, Cork lost it's brightest hurling star and if the rumours are true then there are even more to follow over the next few months, a sustained flow of our best talent is not exactly good for the association, and something will have to give.

stephenite

Quote from: neilthemac on August 19, 2007, 12:08:07 PM
GAA players are members of their clubs - they sign a membership form.

by rights they need a transfer to leave that club for another GAA club.

The GAA should negotiate a deal with AFL clubs that any player that does go to Oz, then his club must get compensated for losing that player??

But what happens when AFL refuse to pay. It's not like anyone can stop a player from still going, but that opens up a can of worms regarding inter-club transfers as they stand, but at least that's within the GAA.

Might be possible for the AFL to agree a nominal fee for each player, but they couldn't be forced.

pintsofguinness

As it is over the last few years Laois, Down, Mayo have lost their best young prospects, Cork lost it's brightest hurling star and if the rumours are true then there are even more to follow over the next few months, a sustained flow of our best talent is not exactly good for the association, and something will have to give.

And how many have made it?  Martin Clarke?  O'Hailpin?   

But the GAA have nothing to negotiate with.  The GAA can ask the AFL to compensate clubs and they say no, the gaa say "uuum...ok". 

Surely if there is an influx of Irish players to the AFL they will look at changing their rules?

stephenite

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2007, 12:18:06 PM

And how many have made it?  Martin Clarke?  O'Hailpin?   

But the GAA have nothing to negotiate with.  The GAA can ask the AFL to compensate clubs and they say no, the gaa say "uuum...ok". 

Surely if there is an influx of Irish players to the AFL they will look at changing their rules?

Martin Clarke, Setanta, Colm Begley and Kennelly. Quigley from Laois came out with Begley but went back homesick. Now, I'm not aware of any others that have been out and failed? So if 4 out 5 can make it, that's says to me that most other Irish lads can do well and earn plenty of money as long they don't get homesick.

Why would the AFL look at changing their rules? It's a professional sport - they're already scouting in South Africa also and tying to sell the game to kids over there. These boys want to go to see the game and the money increasing, and as such it won't matter a damn what country you're from.

pintsofguinness

QuoteMartin Clarke, Setanta, Colm Begley and Kennelly. Quigley from Laois came out with Begley but went back homesick. Now, I'm not aware of any others that have been out and failed? So if 4 out 5 can make it, that's says to me that most other Irish lads can do well and earn plenty of money as long they don't get homesick.
And sean cavanage refused a contract.  You're also taking about a period when they were recruiting our best, to me they're hinting that for now any half decent player will be recruited and do you think three quarters of those will suceed?  We'll just have to wait and see but I doubt it. 

QuoteWhy would the AFL look at changing their rules? It's a professional sport - they're already scouting in South Africa also and tying to sell the game to kids over there. These boys want to go to see the game and the money increasing, and as such it won't matter a damn what country you're from.
Well not knowing much about the game I assume they have drafting rules for a reason and if clubs are getting around these by recruiting Irish players than surely it's not impossible that they may consider looking the rules?