Meteor abolish roaming charges

Started by Tubberman, May 05, 2011, 11:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Great for anyone travelling abroad, and might be very useful for those living in the border region where you might go 'roaming' even when still in the Republic

To opt-in text 'Europe' to 50104

QuoteMobile Phone company Meteor has abolished its roaming charges for Europe.

The provider said customers would now pay the same for voice and text calls if travelling in Europe, Norway or Iceland, as they would at home.

Meteor says it is the first Irish operator to abolish roaming charges and the first operator in Europe to do so.

Meteor's head of consumer marketing Bill Blake said the new rules would mean a saving of 47% for customers on the EU regulated rate.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/meteor-abolishes-roaming-charge-503788.html#ixzz1LTOBJceZ
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

armaghniac

Good as far as it goes, but misleading advertising as they have not abolished their huge charges for data roaming and as Bill Pay customers cannot use the minutes they have already aid for.
It should say only "Meteor abolish most roaming charges for calls and texts for prepaid customers"

Hopefully it will lead to other initiatives, though.

Vodafone Ireland have actually recently introduced data roaming charges in NI, which didn't exist before. So much for progress, one wonders what campaigns those who paint postboxes green have in this case.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bogball XV

3 have had pretty much free roaming for years - as long as you connect to their network (if available, if not then it's still free).  I think it covers, UK, Spain, Italy, Oz, HK and Ire at least.  And you can use up to half your billpay minutes whilst abroad.  Data roaming used to be free on a 3 network, but not sure if that's still the case

armaghniac

QuoteData roaming used to be free on a 3 network, but not sure if that's still the case

it is free and this is great, but only in a few countries.

Sandino

What are the chances of the other provider following this lead. It would help solve a query I had on another thread. I am often caugh for roaming charges near the border.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

armaghniac

it seems that they will reduce data charges
http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/21663-meteor-to-cut-mobile-broadb

but this will still be a huge multiple of what they charge at home, about 70 times, but this is still better than 700 times, I suppose.  >:(

Bogball XV

Apparently this is only a promotion until November at this stage, it may be retained after that, but no committments.

Tubberman

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 05, 2011, 05:06:31 PM
Apparently this is only a promotion until November at this stage, it may be retained after that, but no committments.

That's a pretty standard inclusion in T&Cs though I think.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."