Who's your GAA cult hero?

Started by From the Bunker, March 21, 2020, 05:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: Rudi on March 21, 2020, 09:45:59 PM
In my own county Dermot Early & Tony Mc.

Outside Willie Joe & Ciaran Mac were special.

Anthony Tohill , around that time Derry had an exceptional corner back who's name escapes me.

Westmeath had Mike Spike Fagan.

Louth had Stefan White.

In hurling Sylvie Linnane, Ger McInerery, Duignan for Offaly and Limericks Ciaran Carey were special.

Tony Scullion or Kieran McKeever

tbrick18

For me there are a couple....Ciaran McDonald without doubt has to be number 1.
There was always an air of anticipation when he was on the ball that he was about to do something extraordinary.
He had a style that was uncommon at that time too with the socks up and the hair.

Joe Brolly - purely for the antics he'd get up to after scoring. Blowing kisses to the crowd. We loved him, everyone else hated him.

Paddy Bradley - one of the best forwards in the game never to win anything (perhaps an ulster...).

Dessie Dolan - the Westmeath equivalent of Paddy Bradley

Tommy Dowd of Meath - a real warrior who led by example.

Charlie Redmond - only player I've ever seen staying on a pitch after being sent off.

five points

Paul Donnelly - the best man ever to lay scoreable balls into Peter Cavavan. If Tyrone had him on the field for the full 1995 final, they would have won it.

Kevin O'Neill - John Maughan inexplicably left him on the bench in 1996. 8 years later he scored two goals in the All Ireland for a much inferior Mayo team.

Greg Blaney.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 23, 2020, 07:02:45 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on March 23, 2020, 02:29:06 PM
Diarmuid Connolly.

;)

Why the smiley?
Diarmuid was one of the finest players of his time and is (probably) still able to compete with the very best. Okay, he may be a wee bit temperamental at times but that doesn't take from his footballing genius or his ability to inspire those around him.

Its a wink, i agree with you.

Rudi

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 24, 2020, 10:05:58 AM

Anthony Tohill , around that time Derry had an exceptional corner back who's name escapes me.

Louth had Stefan White.

In hurling Sylvie Linnane, Ger McInerery, Duignan for Offaly and Limericks Ciaran Carey were special.

Sean Marty Lockhart,

TheGreatest

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 23, 2020, 08:09:33 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 23, 2020, 07:02:45 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on March 23, 2020, 02:29:06 PM
Diarmuid Connolly.

;)

Why the smiley?
Diarmuid was one of the finest players of his time and is (probably) still able to compete with the very best. Okay, he may be a wee bit temperamental at times but that doesn't take from his footballing genius or his ability to inspire those around him.

Cult hero basically means someone greatly admired by a relatively small audience  despite limited success.  Connolly would not fall under that category.

I believe he would, a man who is castigated for everything he has done on and off the field of play, some times deserved and sometimes not, a villain to some if you like and was always up against it playing, constantly  targeted by players, pundits and the media, in most cases, but not all, his true skill and performance shown through and got us over the line for club and county.

tbrick18

Quote from: Rudi on March 24, 2020, 11:25:22 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on March 24, 2020, 10:05:58 AM

Louth had Stefan White.

Sean Marty Lockhart,

Ah yes, a bit more recent than the other two.
Regularly kept Canavan at bay, some player.

magpie seanie

Johnny Kenny of Shamrock Gaels and Sligo.

GetOverTheBar

No fans of Rory Woods here? Gave a younger, slightly rounder version of myself hope I could make it (I did not).

GetOverTheBar

Seamy Quigley should be worth a mention also from the Fermanagh ones. I'm not too far away that I heard the stories about him....true or not, not for me to comment.

I did hear once that he was booked into a hotel for 10 days before a championship game so they could keep an eye on what he ate. I hope that is true  ;D ;D

rosnarun

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 24, 2020, 02:02:33 PM
No fans of Rory Woods here? Gave a younger, slightly rounder version of myself hope I could make it (I did not).

there was another monaghan lad at the same time as Nudie hughes that took it a bit too far . was he 'audie ' something but a very good player on his day, rarely played the full 70 mins  from what I remember
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

omochain

whitey

Does anyone here remember a Leitrim footballer who used to wear a hurling helmet when he played (kinda like Petr Cech)

MayoBuck

Quote from: five points on March 24, 2020, 11:20:05 AM
Kevin O'Neill - John Maughan inexplicably left him on the bench in 1996. 8 years later he scored two goals in the All Ireland for a much inferior Mayo team.

10 years later actually! Maughan didn't use him in 2004 either.