Clare 12/1

Round 1 fixtures

Saturday 29th
Down v Derry

Sunday 30th
Clare v Offaly
Galway v Meath
Roscommon v Cork
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Rossies worth a punt there. A lot of hype around Derry, let's see do they deliver...

Rossfan

With anything up to 18 of last years first 26 unavailable for different reasons we'll be looking at avoiding relegation!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

While brilliant to win Connacht Club senior and intermediate, it means we'll start league without a big part of spine in 3 Dalys, Davy Murray, and 2 Murtaghs. Diarmuid reminded us how good he is yesterday. AC gave a good run out to next generation in FBD and while a lot of talent coming through, conditioning is not there yet. I will be happy with maintaining Div 2 this year but I would expect us to give Connacht a serious go with a full slate of players.

UpMeeyo

Insanely tough div 2 this year, glad mayo got out last year.

You'd be brave to pick the two for promotion before it starts.

At the other end, I think Clare stand a better chance at staving off relegation than down and offaly, especially with down missing the kilcoo lads.

full moon

Clare I wouldn't have expected to finish bottom, have they lost many players?
Pretty hard to call on promotion.

Gael85

Quote from: full moon on January 16, 2022, 10:45:27 PM
Clare I wouldn't have expected to finish bottom, have they lost many players?
Pretty hard to call on promotion.

Lost 5/6 lads.  Beat Kildare against the odds last year and were lucky have Laois in group too.  Offaly game looks to be only winnable game for them.

Lost 4 central players year before to retirement, lads going travelling and injuries.  Colm Collins has done fantastic with small pool of players

An Fhairche Abu

Bear pit of a Division Two this year, wouldn't like to have to put any money on calling it.

Not sure how much can be taken from the FBD league for Galway, mixed the good with the bad, this league will tell a lot.
Opening game against Meath game is massive for both sides, two sides with recent Division One experience and looking to get back up there. Galway need to win that one at home having 4 away games I think.
Cork are the wildcard, could be very good, could be awful. Derry might fancy their chances at a title.

toby47

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 17, 2022, 10:29:21 AM
Bear pit of a Division Two this year, wouldn't like to have to put any money on calling it.

Not sure how much can be taken from the FBD league for Galway, mixed the good with the bad, this league will tell a lot.
Opening game against Meath game is massive for both sides, two sides with recent Division One experience and looking to get back up there. Galway need to win that one at home having 4 away games I think.
Cork are the wildcard, could be very good, could be awful. Derry might fancy their chances at a title.

Derry do fancy their chances at a title.

oakleaflad

We're going in the right direction but I couldn't say we're any stronger than a Galway, Meath or Cork yet. It'll be interesting to see how we do though. Young squad and as I say definitely looking much brighter than this past few years.

tbrick18

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 17, 2022, 12:29:09 PM
We're going in the right direction but I couldn't say we're any stronger than a Galway, Meath or Cork yet. It'll be interesting to see how we do though. Young squad and as I say definitely looking much brighter than this past few years.

100%
Personally, I think division 2 is probably our level right now with the age profile of this team. If we can consolidate our Div 2 status and push the top of the table this would still be progress on top of the advances we've made in the last few years.
It would be great to get promoted to Div 1 again mind, I just feel it might be a year early.

the goal was on

With Derry your guaranteed they,ll be almost full tilt from the first game. Training 8 days a week!!!! But to be serious they will have a settled team and won't tweak week to week so for that reason they will go up. Plus they have 2 handy games to start which helps build momentum.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: the goal was on on January 17, 2022, 04:37:35 PM
With Derry your guaranteed they,ll be almost full tilt from the first game. Training 8 days a week!!!! But to be serious they will have a settled team and won't tweak week to week so for that reason they will go up. Plus they have 2 handy games to start which helps build momentum.

Aye just missing the Slaughtneil contingent. No bother  :o

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on January 16, 2022, 12:01:16 PM
With anything up to 18 of last years first 26 unavailable for different reasons we'll be looking at avoiding relegation!

The maximum number of games they'll be missing is two unless there's a lot of injuries?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

shawshank

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 18, 2022, 06:55:43 AM
Quote from: the goal was on on January 17, 2022, 04:37:35 PM

Aye just missing the Slaughtneil contingent. No bother  :o

Its three players. Rodgers, McKaigue & McGuigan. Tadd doesn't play hurling. The others are replaceable. If S'neil get bt this weekend the three are available.