Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Still waiting on flights to Portugal being cancelled by EasyJet!!! I'm due to fly out on the 25th! I'd rather not go
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

You're entitled to change flights wi hour an extra cost up until 14 days before if that's any help?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on July 08, 2020, 12:37:05 AM
You're entitled to change flights wi hour an extra cost up until 14 days before if that's any help?

I seen flights getting changed at a cost of over 400 quid to next year!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Holding out for quarantine change.

For Dunreill in August. If lifted myself, family and friends will be on the plane.

HiMucker

Quote from: trailer on July 05, 2020, 05:01:07 PM
Quote from: trailer on September 19, 2019, 10:11:58 PM
Donegal

We went for a wee week before the kids went back to school. I'd been in my youth to other places in Donegal but not really since. We booked a nice if basic chalet type house in Downings. Here follows a brief summation.

In short Donegal is seriously overrated. The drive is pretty awful, with not a good road to be had. The scenery is spoilt by un-kept hedgerows and awful buildings. Indeed nothing seems to ever have been finished off properly. It's like they were nearly done and then said we'll finish that tomorrow, but they never came back.

The planning committee for Donegal Co. Council or whoever makes such decisions is doing a very bad job. An awful lot of poorly thought out planning decisions seems to have been made. Where we stayed for example, was a little cull de sac of 5 or 6 houses, the road wasn't finished even with a base coat of tar just hardcore and likely won't ever be by the looks of it and there was no footpath to walk to wee town. There was barely a footpath in the town. Surely footpaths should be mandatory?
There's chalet type houses EVERYWHERE. You can't see anything for houses. Awful.
Some of the building that built are truly awful. They look awful and they all seem to be finished with a grey render that bleeds red. It's absolutely awful looking.

There's nothing much in the town. The two shops just about have the essentials, one didn't have bottled water. They' were pretty awful to be honest. We went for Breakfast to a cafe one morning. It didn't accept card. It was just hassely. Who doesn't accept card in 2019?? The food was good.

There's two pubs. One isn't really accessible unless your driving. We had the kids so weren't on that sort of holiday but certainly they seemed nice places if as I say a little inaccessible.

The beach was fine. You could drive onto it which is handy, but it's a beach and certainly not worth going to as one off.

It rained a lot. Indeed Downings appears to get more rain that the other town beside it. We were out for a drive and it wasn't raining in Ramelton (I think that's the other town) but it was in Downings. Quite heavily.

So it was great to be away for a few days etc but I don't think I'd ever go back because there are other places that are far more beautiful and picturesque.
The people are nice enough though.

Has anyone else been and what are your thoughts?

My experience last year.
There is at least 20 far more spectacular beaches within 5-10 mins drive from Dowinings Bay. The fact that you drove to Ramelton from there says it all. Absolutely no need. A wee bit more research and you would have had a better time Id say. You're probably the only person I have ever heard have a negative experience of the area  ;D

grounded

Quote from: general on July 04, 2020, 08:04:51 PM
Was fortunate enough to get 5 nights booked for Gyles Quay l. Taking a lend of a relatives caravan. Not the usual summer holiday but it will be great craic to take the young one away for a few nights. Hopefully the weather brightens up a bit and we'll have a few bbqs etc.

€30 euro a night including the electric hook up.

That actually sounds like great craic. Im sure will be brilliant.
      The thought of towing the caravan and all that goes with setting up the caravan on the pitch would put me off though. There is a bit more thatn meets the eye with caravans!
     Hope you have a great time.

Rudi

Quote from: HiMucker on July 08, 2020, 02:46:36 PM
Donegal

We went for a wee week before the kids went back to school. I'd been in my youth to other places in Donegal but not really since. We booked a nice if basic chalet type house in Downings. Here follows a brief summation.

In short Donegal is seriously overrated. The drive is pretty awful, with not a good road to be had. The scenery is spoilt by un-kept hedgerows and awful buildings. Indeed nothing seems to ever have been finished off properly. It's like they were nearly done and then said we'll finish that tomorrow, but they never came back.

The planning committee for Donegal Co. Council or whoever makes such decisions is doing a very bad job. An awful lot of poorly thought out planning decisions seems to have been made. Where we stayed for example, was a little cull de sac of 5 or 6 houses, the road wasn't finished even with a base coat of tar just hardcore and likely won't ever be by the looks of it and there was no footpath to walk to wee town. There was barely a footpath in the town. Surely footpaths should be mandatory?
There's chalet type houses EVERYWHERE. You can't see anything for houses. Awful.
Some of the building that built are truly awful. They look awful and they all seem to be finished with a grey render that bleeds red. It's absolutely awful looking.

There's nothing much in the town. The two shops just about have the essentials, one didn't have bottled water. They' were pretty awful to be honest. We went for Breakfast to a cafe one morning. It didn't accept card. It was just hassely. Who doesn't accept card in 2019?? The food was good.

There's two pubs. One isn't really accessible unless your driving. We had the kids so weren't on that sort of holiday but certainly they seemed nice places if as I say a little inaccessible.

The beach was fine. You could drive onto it which is handy, but it's a beach and certainly not worth going to as one off.

It rained a lot. Indeed Downings appears to get more rain that the other town beside it. We were out for a drive and it wasn't raining in Ramelton (I think that's the other town) but it was in Downings. Quite heavily.

So it was great to be away for a few days etc but I don't think I'd ever go back because there are other places that are far more beautiful and picturesque.

My experience last year.
There is at least 20 far more spectacular beaches within 5-10 mins drive from Dowinings Bay. The fact that you drove to Ramelton from there says it all. Absolutely no need. A wee bit more research and you would have had a better time Id say. You're probably the only person I have ever heard have a negative experience of the area  ;D

Anyone here ever visit the Murder hole beach - imo - one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

HiMucker

Quote from: Rudi on July 08, 2020, 03:02:52 PM
Donegal

My experience last year.

Anyone here ever visit the Murder hole beach - imo - one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
Yeah. And I would agree with you. Think it ranks in several world top ten lists. Unbelievable, pictures don't do it justice as I was surprised to be blown away after looking at pics online. There is another beach on out Melmore head that is worth seeing. You have to walk through a caravan site and climb down some rocks and make sure you arent caught with the tide coming in!

Rudi

Quote from: HiMucker on July 08, 2020, 03:47:22 PM
Donegal

My experience last year.

Yeah. And I would agree with you. Think it ranks in several world top ten lists. Unbelievable, pictures don't do it justice as I was surprised to be blown away after looking at pics online. There is another beach on out Melmore head that is worth seeing. You have to walk through a caravan site and climb down some rocks and make sure you arent caught with the tide coming in!

Yip, getting through the caravan site wasnt easy, thankfully the tide was out. Another beach thats cut off by rocks (most of the time) just up the road is pretty special too.

JimStynes

The beaches next to Donegal Airport are stunning as well.

BennyCake

Donegal

My experience last year.

Where's that?

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: grounded on July 08, 2020, 02:46:58 PM
Quote from: general on July 04, 2020, 08:04:51 PM
Was fortunate enough to get 5 nights booked for Gyles Quay l. Taking a lend of a relatives caravan. Not the usual summer holiday but it will be great craic to take the young one away for a few nights. Hopefully the weather brightens up a bit and we'll have a few bbqs etc.

€30 euro a night including the electric hook up.

That actually sounds like great craic. Im sure will be brilliant.
      The thought of towing the caravan and all that goes with setting up the caravan on the pitch would put me off though. There is a bit more thatn meets the eye with caravans!
     Hope you have a great time.
Don't be put off it's actually very little bother when you get used to it. Enjoy Gyles Quay General it's a lovely part of the country. I've never stayed on the site but I'm told it's great.
Careful now

Rudi

Quote from: BennyCake on July 08, 2020, 05:31:03 PM
Donegal

My experience last year.

Where's that?

The fun is trying to find it.  :)

Goggle maps

ONeill

I just don't get why people can't forget about flying abroad for a holiday for one summer. Just one summer.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Angelo

Quote from: ONeill on July 08, 2020, 09:55:07 PM
I just don't get why people can't forget about flying abroad for a holiday for one summer. Just one summer.

Exactly, there's some sense of entitlement there.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL