Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: oakleaflad on August 24, 2020, 12:06:55 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 24, 2020, 11:32:42 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 23, 2020, 11:08:11 PM
Glad to see Whyte beat, slabbering for weeks about Fury when he should have been focused on Povetkin. Shows you how corrupt the sport is though when Whyte was guranteed a shot at the title but Povetlin wont be.

Taylor could now become the first person to hold all 4 major belts in two divisions amd also the first to hold them simultaneously if she beats MacCaskill again.

Povetkin has failed that many drug tests it could be argued he shouldn't ever be allowed in the ring again, let alone fight for a title.
Sure Whyte's no better

Well yeah, fair enough point I suppose. Sad that so many top level athletes are there with the help of chemicals really.

Hound

Seems quite the mess between McGuigan and Frampton.
Not sure Frampton as an adult has much of a chance of winning on the basis he was duped into signing a contract, but maybe he does.

Just listened to the RTÉ news report there and it seems Frampton got a right going over by McGuigan's lawyer, even admitting on the stand that he underdeclared income on his tax returns to reduce his tax liability!

I hope it isn't the case that Carl, after perhaps getting duped by McGuigan is now getting rightly duped by his own lawyer for taking this case.

An Watcher

Is this not always the way though. Next it'll be mcguigan on the stand and they'll tear into him too. Seems very naive of Frampton to sign everything without even reading them

nrico2006

I used to be fans of the McGuigans, but there seems something very suspicious about the lot of them in relation to Frampton.  Given McGuigans own history with Eastwood, you would have expected a bit more from him.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Young and naive... Christ you remember those days?

What secondary education level lad will read it Or understand a very complex contract?

Unless you've employed a sports contact type lawyer (cost a fortune) to go over it in detail then you're snookered

A very popular and successful Irish boxing legend promises you that you'll be a world champion, you concentrate on the boxing and I'll sort out the business

McGuigan has history with being the poor me when chasing money off Eastwood, history now repeating itself it seems.

No one will come out of this well other than barristers and lawyers. The McGuigan family ran the show and whole family on the payroll.

Boxers don't make that much,  even the successful ones, unless you're heavyweights, if I was a betting man I'd say Carl will have a better chance, but will be out of pocket
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

The consensus does seem to be frampton has been had here though as you say no one will come out of this well.

Taylor

It is a messy one for sure.
The whole family on the payroll along with continuous business class flights for family members coming out of Framptons pocket shows he signed something he had no clue about.

His testimony yesterday where he was called to be a liar (and will continue to be shown to be a liar) will be very damaging however you would think Frampton's lawyer has the info to do a number on McGuigan and make him look equally if not worse.

nrico2006

More talk of a new division between CW and HW when there is a bigger need for one between LH and CW.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 10, 2020, 07:59:18 PM
The consensus does seem to be frampton has been had here though as you say no one will come out of this well.

Frampton getting hammered over his links to MTK / Kinahan by accounts. Looks like they are trying to implode him from the inside rather than actually try and get him deported back to Ireland...on whatever charges.

Milltown Row2

Watch True North last night, last night episode followed boxers who had finished their career's and what they had to show for it and dealing with not being involved, Brian and Eamon Magee, Ryan Burnett and, Tyrone McKenna

I've known Eamon a brave few years, the odd drink with him back in the day,  mainly battled with him a school level and club level when he played a bit.. Last night he looked like a very old man, beat mentally and physically, lots of troubles he's brought on himself no doubt, other troubles brought to his door, is there something wrong with the Irish sporting talents that we implode?

What I hope it highlights to a  lot of people is that the money you make in boxing is limited and for some just about minimum wage when stretched out over the year, Brian Magee fought a bit longer to generate enough money to open a business, Ryan Burnett made just enough to do the same and pay off house.

Makes you wonder where all the money goes
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Promoters I suspect. Magee a troubled soul (Eamon) and I suspect a lot moreso since what happened with his son too.

Real pity for Burnett with his career cut so short. You'd have to imagine it must be very difficult for those guys.

square_ball

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 22, 2020, 08:58:33 AM
Promoters I suspect. Magee a troubled soul (Eamon) and I suspect a lot moreso since what happened with his son too.

Real pity for Burnett with his career cut so short. You'd have to imagine it must be very difficult for those guys.

It said that a boxer starting out gets around £2k from say a 4 rounder with the manager taking up to a 25% cut of that and the fighter lucky to take half of that purse home with him once everything is paid out. It's the managers and promotors making the money as you say.

tintin25

Did Magee (Eamonn) mention he had been a millionaire?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tintin25 on September 22, 2020, 10:30:11 AM
Did Magee (Eamonn) mention he had been a millionaire?

Yes, I heard that at the start, was probably paid a million but not sure how much of that he got himself, that is another story....

nrico2006

Would Magee have got that much money considering the level he fought at?  Why was McKenna on the show, he is still active?  Burnett's case is pretty sad in a way, could have been Irelands most successful boxer if it wasnt for the injury.