Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Capacity is supposedly 25000. Don't care who Rossies shout for to be honest. Their voices may be gone after seeing their minors win anyway! Looking forward to it now myself. Hopefully our seniors will be up to the task.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

TyrionLannister

Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2012, 08:54:29 PM

I promised myself  I wouldn t get involved in a debate involving a few Mayo men between themselves.

A few things about you re replies above.

As somebody else has already pointed out Mulligan is a much better player than Costello or Brehony or anybody else I can think of that Sligo might play 11. My views on where Vaughan should be played have been well aired already.

McGarrity looked interested to me the last day but there might be questionmarks about his legs being shot. I d have no great preferance for Geraghty myself but I suspect he ll be chosen ahead of Gibbons again. I can t see how Leitrim changed anything. As regards fielding I m not sure Gibbons would give advantage there.

The Andy and O Connor placement is another thing. Clearly Horan wants Andy s ability to win hard ball inside and obviously doesn t think O Connor can do that job. The way we play Andy might be able to do a better job at 11 too but he cant play in both places. As for 11 being the point of attack that does not apply to Mayo - hasn t since McD wore 11 back in 06 (I d prefer not to delve into what Johnno was trying to achieve with Trevor or whover at 11 ::) ). So it shouldn t be new to you. It s been happening for some time. So what did or didn t work against Leitrim is debatable so you can t just assume that everybody wants Andy at 11. 11 doesn t matter that much in the way Mayo are trying to play. It s no more special than 10 or 12. . At least that is what I m seeing in games. I think it is more important to Horan that Andy can win ball inside and keep defences honest. O Connor s finishing ability is beyond question but his ability to win ball is an issue. At least I think Mayo management sees it that way.

And I was serious about the corner forwards and it s getting tiresome repeating stuff. Directly after the Leitrim game I wrote that Conroy created more with his first few touches than Doc had done in 50 mins. You must have missed that. Anybody that has read my posts knows that I would have Conroy as my no1 corner forward. But Horan sees it differently.
As you say they all seem to do better coming on. When Conroy came on the last day the game was over and the backs were out on their feet so it was a lot easier than for Doherty. Unfair to judge in those circumstances. But they all have different natural attributes and I think Horan is looking to get a balance that compliments his tactical opproach. I don t think we re playing a game that will see our full forward line score points heavily from play. They will get goal chances though by getting on the end of running moves.

Conor is Conoreen. I suspect he ll be continued to be used as impact.

Conroy. Most typical of the lot what we expect from a corner forward. Shows well, good hands, tricky and pacel and can score on his own.

Doherty. Fast. A bit of an assassin. Not great hands. Works very hard at closing down.

Freeman. Also very quick. Threat in the air if his eye is in. Can also be a lethal finisher. Can be brought further out and works hard to close down defenders.

O Connor. Could end up competing for a corner spot. Lethal finisher and consistently good for close and medium range frees.

At the minute I think Horan prefers to start with pace and workrate, combined with a flair for goal taking.

Spare me the old one about the main job of a corner forward and scoring and stuff. First of all it is not my team . I m just trying to see it from Horan s point of view. He can point to score board v Leitrim and I m sure he s happy enough with the spread of scores. As things stand opposition won t be able to concentrate on a few scoring threats. And they can hardly underestimate likes of Freeman either.

I dont mind having healthy debate with anyone! But one thing strikes me is how quiet Sligo are in the whole debate. They are either shitting themselves or are remaining quietly confident about next Sunday. I have a feeling they are shitting themselves though.

Yeah I was downplaying Mulligans quality a bit, he would be in the top 10 centre forwards in the country, but no way would he be in the top 5 so I expected more from Vaughan. Another thing that strikes me about him is that he takes a long time to get into a game, so maybe it would do him the world of good to know that he has to fight hard to keep his number 6.

I think you could be looking at McGarity with rose tinted glasses there; he was very poor when he came in against a very poor midfield. He misjudged a few kickouts which can happen, but he offered nothing. Could his legs be shot from what exactly? He is not exactly over fit or over training in recent months for his legs to be shot. Compare the shape he is in to Trevor Mortimor when he came back mid season.

11 is the centre point of attack for every team, and nobody can argue otherwise and not look foolish. When Dillon plays centre forward he links up the play and distributes ball into the FF line, as that's his job. Whether its Andy or O Con at centre forward thats their job too. Saying that style of play died with McD is bizarre. O Con is playing at 11 for his distribution ability, which is good, and also because he will win the odd free running at defences. However he is a better finisher and has a better eye for goal than any of Mayos full forward line. If you had Freeman on form at FF, winning high ball and primary possession with O Con engineering the space for himself and others and either Mort/Varley/Doc playing off him it would be more devastating than having Andy as the target man at FF. And as I mentioned Andy is a great break winner, is as-good at distributing and can kick huge points from distance – and he has proven all of that in the past. Also there are days that wont suit O Con, so I am not saying he is a definite starter every day either.

Lastly, a forwards primary job is to score, especially the full forward line. End of.  Saying that Mayos primary attack comes from runs from deep is not the way I see it. Its about moving the ball quickly and getting it into the forwards with support. Otherwise Mayo are back to the running game that was played back in the 90's.

Sam2011

The Mayo Senior Football team to face sligo for Connacht Senior Football Final will be announced on Wednesday at 1.30p.m

moysider

Quote from: TyrionLannister on July 09, 2012, 02:27:36 PM

I promised myself  I wouldn t get involved in a debate involving a few Mayo men between themselves.

As somebody else has already pointed out Mulligan is a much better player than Costello or Brehony or anybody else I can think of that Sligo might play 11. My views on where Vaughan should be played have been well aired already.

McGarrity looked interested to me the last day but there might be questionmarks about his legs being shot. I d have no great preferance for Geraghty myself but I suspect he ll be chosen ahead of Gibbons again. I can t see how Leitrim changed anything. As regards fielding I m not sure Gibbons would give advantage there.

The Andy and O Connor placement is another thing. Clearly Horan wants Andy s ability to win hard ball inside and obviously doesn t think O Connor can do that job. The way we play Andy might be able to do a better job at 11 too but he cant play in both places. As for 11 being the point of attack that does not apply to Mayo - hasn t since McD wore 11 back in 06 (I d prefer not to delve into what Johnno was trying to achieve with Trevor or whover at 11 ::) ). So it shouldn t be new to you. It s been happening for some time. So what did or didn t work against Leitrim is debatable so you can t just assume that everybody wants Andy at 11. 11 doesn t matter that much in the way Mayo are trying to play. It s no more special than 10 or 12. . At least that is what I m seeing in games. I think it is more important to Horan that Andy can win ball inside and keep defences honest. O Connor s finishing ability is beyond question but his ability to win ball is an issue. At least I think Mayo management sees it that way.

And I was serious about the corner forwards and it s getting tiresome repeating stuff. Directly after the Leitrim game I wrote that Conroy created more with his first few touches than Doc had done in 50 mins. You must have missed that. Anybody that has read my posts knows that I would have Conroy as my no1 corner forward. But Horan sees it differently.
As you say they all seem to do better coming on. When Conroy came on the last day the game was over and the backs were out on their feet so it was a lot easier than for Doherty. Unfair to judge in those circumstances. But they all have different natural attributes and I think Horan is looking to get a balance that compliments his tactical opproach. I don t think we re playing a game that will see our full forward line score points heavily from play. They will get goal chances though by getting on the end of running moves.

Conroy. Most typical of the lot what we expect from a corner forward. Shows well, good hands, tricky and pacel and can score on his own.

Doherty. Fast. A bit of an assassin. Not great hands. Works very hard at closing down.

Freeman. Also very quick. Threat in the air if his eye is in. Can also be a lethal finisher. Can be brought further out and works hard to close down defenders.

O Connor. Could end up competing for a corner spot. Lethal finisher and consistently good for close and medium range frees.

At the minute I think Horan prefers to start with pace and workrate, combined with a flair for goal taking.

Spare me the old one about the main job of a corner forward and scoring and stuff. First of all it is not my team . I m just trying to see it from Horan s point of view. He can point to score board v Leitrim and I m sure he s happy enough with the spread of scores. As things stand opposition won t be able to concentrate on a few scoring threats. And they can hardly underestimate likes of Freeman either.

I dont mind having healthy debate with anyone! But one thing strikes me is how quiet Sligo are in the whole debate. They are either shitting themselves or are remaining quietly confident about next Sunday. I have a feeling they are shitting themselves though.

Yeah I was downplaying Mulligans quality a bit, he would be in the top 10 centre forwards in the country, but no way would he be in the top 5 so I expected more from Vaughan. Another thing that strikes me about him is that he takes a long time to get into a game, so maybe it would do him the world of good to know that he has to fight hard to keep his number 6.

I think you could be looking at McGarity with rose tinted glasses there; he was very poor when he came in against a very poor midfield. He misjudged a few kickouts which can happen, but he offered nothing. Could his legs be shot from what exactly? He is not exactly over fit or over training in recent months for his legs to be shot. Compare the shape he is in to Trevor Mortimor when he came back mid season.

11 is the centre point of attack for every team, and nobody can argue otherwise and not look foolish. When Dillon plays centre forward he links up the play and distributes ball into the FF line, as that's his job. Whether its Andy or O Con at centre forward thats their job too. Saying that style of play died with McD is bizarre. O Con is playing at 11 for his distribution ability, which is good, and also because he will win the odd free running at defences. However he is a better finisher and has a better eye for goal than any of Mayos full forward line. If you had Freeman on form at FF, winning high ball and primary possession with O Con engineering the space for himself and others and either Mort/Varley/Doc playing off him it would be more devastating than having Andy as the target man at FF. And as I mentioned Andy is a great break winner, is as-good at distributing and can kick huge points from distance – and he has proven all of that in the past. Also there are days that wont suit O Con, so I am not saying he is a definite starter every day either.

Lastly, a forwards primary job is to score, especially the full forward line. End of.  Saying that Mayos primary attack comes from runs from deep is not the way I see it. Its about moving the ball quickly and getting it into the forwards with support. Otherwise Mayo are back to the running game that was played back in the 90's.

The bit in bold is grand and looks devastating on paper but I m not so sure it would work out in the heat of a championship match. Freeman/form/winning high ball is a leap of fauth for a start. 2 years ago he made a great start against a fullback who was past his best but once O Hara went back and played sweeper... ball burst. I think maybe Horan has seen kicking ball into likes of Doherty and Freeman as just turning over too much soft ball for the opposition to hurt us with.
You need to stop with this 11 stuff. There s more than one way to play and no 11 is not the centre point of every attack and not in Mayo now anyway. Runners are. If Dillon were a success as an orthodox liner/distributer 11 he would be left there but he usually ends up on the wing where he appears to find more space and be more effective. But a McGuigan/ Blaney/ Giles type- quarterback - playmaking 11 he never has been at county level. Neither do we have a Declan O Sullivan hard running type. But not to worry the 2 best teams out there Donegal and Cork dont play an old fashioned type 11 anymore either.
Maybe you have a vision of how you think the game should be played and who should be doing what. All I m saying is that Mayo are not appearing to be doin it that way. Maybe that is because the standard way was not working. Saying that the job of the full- forward line is to score primarily is all very well but what does the manager do when they are not scoring enough - and they were not scoring enough. Keep banging away with the same formula because its the 'right way' to do it. Imo Horan has abandoned the idea of kicking most ball into fullforward line and I d be surprised if he throws a big man in as target man unless its the last throw of the dice. Recent challenge matches suggest our main weapon is runners from deep to draw defenders and keep the ball in hand. Andy s fumblings the last day coupled with the successes from runs by Vaughan and Keegan and McLoughlin will only have strengthened that approach probably. Andy will probably be kept at 14 to vary it and his hands will probably be sharper the next day. Sometimes there is a difference between the way we d like to see a team develop and what is actually happening.
Not much point being hard on McGarrity. He s been working for six months to recover from injury/surgery and if he doesn t get there then it hasn t been for want of effort. If his legs are gone then they re gone. It happens.

ck

I really think Sligo will get over the line in this one. Saw them training recently and they are flying.

moysider

Met a fair few West Sligos over the weekend including a few xplayers. Their mood varied from hopeful to quiet confidence. There is an emphasis on 'quiet' though. Apparently the hype was savage before the 10 final and the team did not come out of the traps. While quiet I def get the impression that they are expecting to win this - which they should be of course. There will be no fear involved and being from near the border, with parentage from over as well, I ve always got the impression that there is damn all respect either. Not like say they would have for Galway or the bigger teams outside the province. Not that I care or complaining - just the way it is.

Throw in the considerable Rossie support and it ll be some bear pit for us - I expect us to be outnumbered. It is what we need.  The 2010 defeat will ensure that there is no compacency and should be motivation if winning a provincial title isn t motivation enough. .

Mac2

I dont mind having healthy debate with anyone! But one thing strikes me is how quiet Sligo are in the whole debate. They are either shitting themselves or are remaining quietly confident about next Sunday. I have a feeling they are shitting themselves though.Yeah I was downplaying Mulligans quality a bit, he would be in the top 10 centre forwards in the country, but no way would he be in the top 5 so I expected more from Vaughan. Another thing that strikes me about him is that he takes a long time to get into a game, so maybe it would do him the world of good to know that he has to fight hard to keep his number 6.

You really believe that? Very much doubt they are, they've enought solid campaigners to be well up for it. Agree about Moran, no better man for breaking ball and with our first choice midfield still in the wings he'll be needed, Sligo have a good fielder in that McManus lad.

moysider

Quote from: ck on July 09, 2012, 04:55:49 PM
I really think Sligo will get over the line in this one. Saw them training recently and they are flying.

Now that s what I m talking about. I m getting similar vibes to before they beat us in 2010. Should I be getting the fear?

TyrionLannister

Quote from: moysider on July 09, 2012, 04:34:03 PM
The bit in bold is grand and looks devastating on paper but I m not so sure it would work out in the heat of a championship match. Freeman/form/winning high ball is a leap of fauth for a start. 2 years ago he made a great start against a fullback who was past his best but once O Hara went back and played sweeper... ball burst. I think maybe Horan has seen kicking ball into likes of Doherty and Freeman as just turning over too much soft ball for the opposition to hurt us with.
You need to stop with this 11 stuff. There s more than one way to play and no 11 is not the centre point of every attack and not in Mayo now anyway. Runners are. If Dillon were a success as an orthodox liner/distributer 11 he would be left there but he usually ends up on the wing where he appears to find more space and be more effective. But a McGuigan/ Blaney/ Giles type- quarterback - playmaking 11 he never has been at county level. Neither do we have a Declan O Sullivan hard running type. But not to worry the 2 best teams out there Donegal and Cork dont play an old fashioned type 11 anymore either.
Maybe you have a vision of how you think the game should be played and who should be doing what. All I m saying is that Mayo are not appearing to be doin it that way. Maybe that is because the standard way was not working. Saying that the job of the full- forward line is to score primarily is all very well but what does the manager do when they are not scoring enough - and they were not scoring enough. Keep banging away with the same formula because its the 'right way' to do it. Imo Horan has abandoned the idea of kicking most ball into fullforward line and I d be surprised if he throws a big man in as target man unless its the last throw of the dice. Recent challenge matches suggest our main weapon is runners from deep to draw defenders and keep the ball in hand. Andy s fumblings the last day coupled with the successes from runs by Vaughan and Keegan and McLoughlin will only have strengthened that approach probably. Andy will probably be kept at 14 to vary it and his hands will probably be sharper the next day. Sometimes there is a difference between the way we d like to see a team develop and what is actually happening.
Not much point being hard on McGarrity. He s been working for six months to recover from injury/surgery and if he doesn t get there then it hasn t been for want of effort. If his legs are gone then they re gone. It happens.

I have a funny Feeling the likes of Freeman and a few more could shine and kick on with summer football. It will be interesting to see what they do with the full forward line against Sligo. It's those positions and maybe midfield and wing back that may be up for grabs. 

Maybe I am too much of a purest regarding the 11 stuff, so ill draw a line under it until after the Sligo game as it will be an even tougher test for both players, against an arguably better defence. It will be the proof of the pudding, but I still think Mayo are wasting time the way it is currently picked.

Lastly, I might have a vision but in fairness nothing I have said is impossible to be implemented in the next game so I think I am fairly grounded. Its one thing predicting what Horan will do, and another thing discussing what is the right thing to do from this point on. If I went by my own tangent I would have Keith Higgins centre back, Vaughan perhaps to midfeild, maybe Shane McHale corner back, Aidan O Shea centre forward but I know that's an impossibility at this stage of the season.

Count yourself and everyone else lucky I spared ye those arguments  ;)

TyrionLannister

Quote from: Mac2 on July 09, 2012, 04:59:40 PM
You really believe that? Very much doubt they are, they've enought solid campaigners to be well up for it. Agree about Moran, no better man for breaking ball and with our first choice midfield still in the wings he'll be needed, Sligo have a good fielder in that McManus lad.

Its the silence of the lambs

TyrionLannister

Quote from: moysider on July 09, 2012, 05:00:25 PM
Quote from: ck on July 09, 2012, 04:55:49 PM

Now that s what I m talking about. I m getting similar vibes to before they beat us in 2010. Should I be getting the fear?

moysider

Quote from: TyrionLannister on July 09, 2012, 05:03:12 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 09, 2012, 04:34:03 PM

I have a funny Feeling the likes of Freeman and a few more could shine and kick on with summer football. It will be interesting to see what they do with the full forward line against Sligo. It's those positions and maybe midfield and wing back that may be up for grabs. 

Maybe I am too much of a purest regarding the 11 stuff, so ill draw a line under it until after the Sligo game as it will be an even tougher test for both players, against an arguably better defence. It will be the proof of the pudding, but I still think Mayo are wasting time the way it is currently picked.

Lastly, I might have a vision but in fairness nothing I have said is impossible to be implemented in the next game so I think I am fairly grounded. Its one thing predicting what Horan will do, and another thing discussing what is the right thing to do from this point on. If I went by my own tangent I would have Keith Higgins centre back, Vaughan perhaps to midfeild, maybe Shane McHale corner back, Aidan O Shea centre forward but I know that's an impossibility at this stage of the season.

Count yourself and everyone else lucky I spared ye those arguments  ;)

On the contrary! I have been arguing for some of those developments for some time myself like Higgins 6 and Vaughan midfield. While I am trying to understand Horans approach to things it is not necessarily the way I would do it but it is a damn sight better than what was happening before and if it gets results then......
I also expect the team to develop/evolve if we stay in the championship for a few more games (we have 2 anyway). And most changes I d expect to be midfielders and forwards. Wednesday s selection might offer a clue to how management are going. But I wouldn t be surprised if we got a very similar 15 to started Leitrim game.

Syferus