Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baoithe

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 27, 2012, 10:49:53 PM
I would say there are also reasons:

d) The two grounds that would have been considered suitable back in 1997 as neutral venues have fallen into various states of disrepair - Tuam completely sub-standard and Roscommon heading that way and potentially no longer having the required capacity and;

e) It is more financially advantageous to Sligo to play this particular game in Castlebar.

Pearse stadium is not a suitable neutral venue in Connacht for anything so, with Tuam in bits, the issue of the state of Hyde Park now needs to be looked at. If there is no sign of Hyde going back to a 30k capacity then the 97 agreement is finished. If the Hyde issue is short term, any alteration this year is more likely to be a one off.

(d) not a valid reason. As I understand it if Sligo and/or Leitrim are in a final a neutral venue applies as neither have a ground capable of holding a connacht final.  Therefore the agreement is not concerned with the specific ground as long as that complies with the requirements to hold a connacht final. Therefore Castlebar, Pearse and Hyde park suffice.

(e) I wouldn't rule it out but I sincerely hope not. We'll never know either way.

You can add as many reasons as you like for changing the venue to McHale Park but ultimately an agreement must be broken to do so. 

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: macdanger2
What is the capacity of Markievicz park anyway?

Here are the figures for all 5 Connacht grounds quoted from that report late last year:

Pearse Stadium Galway 33,000 down to 26,197
Mc Hale Park Castlebar 36,764 down to 28,187
Pairc Sean Mac Diarmada Carrick on Shannon 15,000 down to 9,331
Markievicz Park Sligo 18,780 down to 13,801
Dr Hyde Park 33,612 down to 18,890

Now it's unclear which counties have rectified the issues raised and restored their capacities. Maybe we will be told this week. There are quotes from Roscommon officials from late last year saying that they could only afford to fix some of the issues raised in the report and would have to see if that would be sufficient to satisfy the Health and Safety crew.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

ross4life

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 27, 2012, 11:33:38 PM

Here are the figures for all 5 Connacht grounds quoted from that report late last year:

Now it's unclear which counties have rectified the issues raised and restored their capacities. Maybe we will be told this week. There are quotes from Roscommon officials from late last year saying that they could only afford to fix some of the issues raised in the report and would have to see if that would be sufficient to satisfy the Health and Safety crew.

Yes like this one from Roscommon County board secretary Brian Stenson in November.

"The plan is there to rectify the issues which have been highlighted in the Slattery report. We can get the capacity back up to 30,000 with proper efforts. It will take a few years to do all the work as the finance isn't there to do it in one shot but we can reach a capacity of 25,000 handily enough and that would accommodate most Connacht finals."
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Cosmo Kramer

Thanks Ross4Life, I guess the question with regard to the Hyde then is has this work been carried out?
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

ross4life

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 27, 2012, 11:40:13 PM
Thanks Ross4Life, I guess the question with regard to the Hyde then is has this work been carried out?
I didn't see much done & the terrace at the graveyard end was blocked off with tape during the Galway game. Has been ongoing ownership issues with the ground so i'm not sure is the funds there to cover the costs of repair so looks very doubtful Hyde park will be chosen but we'll see tomorrow evening.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: ross4life on June 27, 2012, 11:36:25 PM

Yes like this one from Roscommon County board secretary Brian Stenson in November.

"The plan is there to rectify the issues which have been highlighted in the Slattery report. We can get the capacity back up to 30,000 with proper efforts. It will take a few years to do all the work as the finance isn't there to do it in one shot but we can reach a capacity of 25,000 handily enough and that would accommodate most Connacht finals."

Didn't he also say ownership of Hyde has to be resolved first. That dispute has been going on since 2007 between county board, Ros Gaels, the Hyde Park Trustees and the committee which the GAA setup to resolve it and includes Mr. Prenty. Was that resolved as they said it would be this year or is that playing on in the background too?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: baoithe on June 27, 2012, 11:19:12 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 27, 2012, 11:11:17 PM
Quote from: baoithe on June 27, 2012, 09:38:11 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 27, 2012, 09:30:00 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 27, 2012, 08:51:20 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 27, 2012, 08:24:05 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 27, 2012, 08:09:37 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 27, 2012, 01:37:29 PM
Have heard a story that, depending on the attendance, Sligo would be in line to receive between 30 and 50% of Mayo GAAs take from hosting the fixture and they wouldn't have to even turn a key in a gate to get it. That must be tempting for the Sligo board against the Hyde/Pearse alternative of not getting a penny and still not getting the game at home. This could go either way.

Why would the Mayo Board want the game in Castlebar if they're going to give away so much of the gate?
If they can get it every team would want a home game.

It s a once off. Mayo s turn to play Sligo at home but an arrangement means finals involving Sligo played at a neutral venue. But the obvious venue - Hyde Park - seems to be considered not up to hosting this for reason/s not clear to me. If the Hyde is out then the only alternative is Pearse stadium in Galway - which is the nightmare scenario even though it might appear fairer than playing it in Castlebar.

For the Connacht Council money raises its ugly head as well. This was properly not fully thought out when the arrangement was made back in 1997. A lot has changed since. Back then Tuam was in the equation as a neutral venue. Whatever about its capacity the pitch itself seems to have issues like astroturf penalty areas. Simply means a match in Pearse Stadium could cost the CC at least 100,000 bucks and maybe a lot more.

At this stage though, I d like the whole thing to be above board and transparent as possible so hopefully the Hyde can be sorted out and play it there. Otherwise we ll never hear the end of it no matter what deal is struck.

I'd agree with all of that. Right now, I think the onus is on the Sligo county board. If they want to go ahead with McHale as the venue, that's alright by me. If they want to use the Hyde, I have no objection either but it's high time a decision was made and that the teams are allowed to get on with their preparations without any unnecessary distractions.
The Mayo county board are not responsible for the mess we find ourselves in but one way or another the bitching and moaning from outside the county will be heard from all sides. The collective béal bocht will be big enough to drain the Shannon.
I'm not in favour of bribing Sligo in any form to come to Castlebar. The mere idea is abhorrent to me. It's akin to saying that they are prepared to lessen their team's chances of success in order to pick up a few handy bob. Judas and the thirty pieces of silver and all that oul' guff.
Either McHale is suitable or it ain't and if that's the case, let's all head for the sheep pen and put up with the consequences.

Why is the onus on the Sligo County Board?
Because they appear to be seriously considering playing the game in Castlebar in return for an increased share of the takings.

Says who? You're surmising. I'm not saying you're wrong but this is all rumour. If I were to engage in rumour, from a Sligo point of view, does 30k amount to a sufficient remuneration for switching the venue to Castlebar? I would sincerely hope not.

I would say that we are all surmising and I think that's obvious since the topic turned to this issue.
My central point has been that, once a venue has been decided, the game should go ahead without financial inducements being offered to anybody.
If Sligo agree to the final being staged in Castlebar, the game should go ahead and both teams should be able to continue their preparations with the minimum of fuss.
If the Hyde is selected, then so be it.
In the event of McHale Park being the venue, I wouldn't agree with Mayo being obliged to bribe Sligo into coming to Castlebar.
I'm in full agreement with moysider. (reply #104)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sligoman2

So where does all the money from the final go?
If the bome team gets 10% where does the rest go? And bow is it spent?

Im sure the connACHT council and some county boards are following this tbread and are not too happy about the focus on how money is distributed but if they bend the rules then we should ask the hard questions
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

I'd hope to God they're reading because if this plays out anywhere along the lines above they've just placed a price-tag on Connacht finals and shown no regard at all for neutrality.

The 10% is what the county hosting the final gets, so if that county is playing in the final it goes to them anyways but if it's, say, Roscommon we get that cut for the use of the ground. A Castlebar final is a nice and cosy way for Mayo to pack more people in, get a dual home final (the knock-on implications of that also effect the winners of the Galway-Roscommon minor semi this weekend as they'll have to travel to a bear-pit in Castlebar when the final shouldn't even be in Mayo), service their debt and give a nice kick-back to the Sligo board for being 'accommodating'.

If image ever mattered to the Connacht Council it sure as hell better right now. It's utterly amazing that the nationals haven't even bothered to investigate the issue even after the almost unprecedented non-decision of the selection committee on Monday night. A bit of media pressure might force a higher standard of practice from all involved.

rosnarun

all agreement lapse at some point  and it definetly looks like event have overtaken this concord. if roscommona are no longer able to keep up their end of the deal then sligo have a choice , Hold on to the remnats of the agreement and go to salthill or cop themselves on and go to castlebar
Castlebar would be the handiest for both teams
it would attract the biggest crowd ,
it has the best facilities on and off the Pitch.
It would be the main event in the town for the day in salthill it would be an inconvience
your not taking your life in your hands going there
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

criostlinn

This whole debate is priceless. The rossies up in arms about the location of a fixture which has nothing to do with them. Looking at the capacity of the hyde it cannot stage the fixture. Simple as that. The only grounds big enough to hold the game is castlebar or salthill. The only debate here is should sligo force themselves and mayo to salthill for the match. I don't mind either way as the agreement is in place but I do think it makes no sense dragging everyone to salthill.

This should have been looked at whenever these new ground capacity figures were released. Could the CC not see this arising back then. It time to examine the whole agreement again and to make the decision that all finals should be held in the one ground capable of holding them. Ie castlebar This arrangement is not a problem in leinster or ulster.

Its pointless wasting more money on the Hyde. Despite all that was spent on it over the years here we are 3 weeks before a connacht final not knowing where it stands.

Mano

Quote from: rosnarun on June 28, 2012, 10:02:46 AM
all agreement lapse at some point  and it definetly looks like event have overtaken this concord. if roscommona are no longer able to keep up their end of the deal then sligo have a choice , Hold on to the remnats of the agreement and go to salthill or cop themselves on and go to castlebar
Castlebar would be the handiest for both teams
it would attract the biggest crowd ,
it has the best facilities on and off the Pitch.
It would be the main event in the town for the day in salthill it would be an inconvience
your not taking your life in your hands going there

Facilites and ease of access don't come into it. The central point is having the game in Castlebar gives Mayo home advantage when it should be neutral as per the agreement.

rossfan 2012

If the Hyde doesn't have the capacity to host the connacht final then it would make most sense for it to be in Castlebar as it is more convenient than salthill and it has a larger capacity. And even though it would be a home game for Mayo here's some source of optomism for Sligo fans:
2011 Connacht final   Mayo 13-11 Roscommon   Dr. Hyde Park
2010 Connacht final   Roscommon 14-13 Sligo   McHale park(Sligo designated home team)
2009 Connacht final   Mayo 2-12  -  1-14  Galway  Pearse Stadium
2008 Connacht final   Galway 2-12 -  1-14 Mayo   McHale park

Syferus

Quote from: criostlinn on June 28, 2012, 11:25:21 AM

This whole debate is priceless. The rossies up in arms about the location of a fixture which has nothing to do with them. Looking at the capacity of the hyde it cannot stage the fixture. Simple as that. The only grounds big enough to hold the game is castlebar or salthill. The only debate here is should sligo force themselves and mayo to salthill for the match. I don't mind either way as the agreement is in place but I do think it makes no sense dragging everyone to salthill.

This should have been looked at whenever these new ground capacity figures were released. Could the CC not see this arising back then. It time to examine the whole agreement again and to make the decision that all finals should be held in the one ground capable of holding them. Ie castlebar This arrangement is not a problem in leinster or ulster.

Its pointless wasting more money on the Hyde. Despite all that was spent on it over the years here we are 3 weeks before a connacht final not knowing where it stands.

Insanity. It effects all of Connacht, it effects businesses in Roscommon town and it could well force our minor team to wrongly have to play an away Connacht final in Castlebar against Mayo.

Way to show blinkered arrogance of the highest order.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 27, 2012, 10:49:53 PM
Pearse stadium is not a suitable neutral venue in Connacht for anything

Going by the logic on this thread every Connacht final from now on will have to be played in Castlebar. Markievicz Park is too small, Tuam and Hyde are too run down, Salthill is too far to go to.

There were plenty of Sligo fans in Salthill for the semi-final. I doubt they would have too much problem traveling there for a Connacht final if they had to. It's not like they are in Connacht finals every year. And sure half of Mayo lives in Galway so there would be plenty of them there too. Now ideally this game would be in the Hyde but going to Salthill for a one-off game while not ideal is hardly like decamping to Afghanistan for a tour of duty.