Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Drummer on July 17, 2012, 09:55:48 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 16, 2012, 09:26:05 PM
OK, Lar and Drummer. In the O'Mahony years Mayo would have lost that game. That's all I'm saying. Why the hell I brought 'Mortimer's club' into it is anybody's guess ;D, but let's just say there were a few Shrule men on the panel at that time.

Well Farrandeelin, it's worth pointing out that there were just as many, if not more, Knockmore players knocking around during the same period i.e. McLoughlin, Howley, Kilcoyne, Munnelly.   So I wouldn't be so quick to blame S/G players for failures during O'Mahony's time in charge.  In fact I wouldn't point the finger at any individual player or group of players in relation to those losses.  If the same system and style of play was in place during those years as we currently have then it's likely results would have been alot different. 

It's also worth pointing out that "there were a few Shrule men on the panel" on plenty of occasions during the 00s when Mayo displayed the grit and spirit required to win big games, games which were significantly more important than last Sunday.  So I think you should give a bit more thought in future before making such lazy and uninformed comments about a club who have served Mayo teams as prominently as any other club during the last 15 years or so.

I think he was probably having a pop at the reference to the presence or absence of S/G players in the Mortimer family statement than having a pop at S/G itself Drummer. That's how I picked it up anyway.

Lar Naparka

OK, Lar and Drummer. In the O'Mahony years Mayo would have lost that game. That's all I'm saying. Why the hell I brought 'Mortimer's club' into it is anybody's guess ;D, but let's just say there were a few Shrule men on the panel at that time. I'm having a go at O'Mahony more than anything and last night I was pretty tired when I was writing so the sentence managed to 'drift off' as did I later on in the night!

Positives, AOS and Barry Moran. As Eugene McGee said Aiden O'Shea brought brains to the middle area. Now I'm sick and tired of hearing people saying Aiden O'Shea has no brain, will never learn etc, by Jesus we needed him yesterday and his presence was the turning point. Also the backs, my Roscommon relatives couldn't understand how the performance of Kelly and Marren had dropped so considerably. However, this defensive unit is as good as any if only we had a few forwards that could score.

Negatives, well I did say there would be only a point or two in it at the end didn't I! And that's precisely what happened. However, Mayo's forwards made it that way because to be honest, they simply aren't good enough. Doherty and Varley who started, not good. Conroy and Freeman who went on, despite Conroy's attempt to have a go, still not great impact subs and other backlines wouldn't quake in their boots when facing them. Another negative, moreso a worry is that Cillian O'Connor, last year's player of the year hasn't done it at no 11. Whether Horan has finally seen that at this stage is another thing. Maybe it's just a second season syndrome thing with Cillian, I hope so.

Also, Kilcoyne is in England working. He's not available either. Just coming home for the rest of Knockmore's championship games is all he'll be doing this year I'm afraid. It's a pity but what can one do in these times.
Arra, sure I had a fair idea of what you were trying to say.  ;D
Did you mean to add something like this, "had several players involved," after "Mortimer's club?"
If that's what youreally intended saying, I'm more puzzled than ever.
At first glance, you appear to imply that the presence of a few Shrule men on the panel screwed things up under "a previous regime" and, as a result, the side would have buckled under the pressure that Sligo exerted on Sunday? 
You're not seriously implying that; are you?
You're doing a mighty fine job over in the Local Discussion posting up the the fixtures and results on the Mayo club scheme and you know better than I that Shrule/Glencorrib are playing pure cat at present.
I think you are annoyed at the Mortimers' claim that Horan doesn't like the Shrule club and doesn't  pick players from there because of this.
That claim was an outrageous attack on Horan's character.
Now,  if you really meant to say,  feck the Mortimers: James and co. were still able to dig in and grind out  a result without  any Shrule players on the panel I'd agree with you.
Still, it's an awkward way of stating an obvious point.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Barney on July 17, 2012, 10:38:53 AM
Delighted with the win.

James Horan is doing a fantastic job, and the players really are giving their all. This is the best Mayo team in 15 years.

Think we will probably come up short this year since we just don't have the top class forwards to bring us over the line. But if we keep working at things we may get the break in the next 2/3 years.
Bang on, Barney. Good to see you posting again.
James is doing a superb job and bit by bit, he is crafting a good side together.
I think he's filled every position except the CF spots. It's impossible to say if his best will be good enough or not, but he's heading in the right direction.
Players have developed into their position like flowers popping up in springtime.One after another. Barry Moran is the latest to show that Horan's patience and his faith in him were justified.
(Will Barry be able to play in the next game?)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Crete Boom

Barry should be fine for the next game Lar barring injury( fingers crossed for the big man) because he got two yellows rather than a straight red, which doesn't carry a suspension as far as I know.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 17, 2012, 10:54:47 AM
Quote from: Drummer on July 17, 2012, 09:55:48 AM
OK, Lar and Drummer. In the O'Mahony years Mayo would have lost that game. That's all I'm saying. Why the hell I brought 'Mortimer's club' into it is anybody's guess ;D, but let's just say there were a few Shrule men on the panel at that time.

Well Farrandeelin, it's worth pointing out that there were just as many, if not more, Knockmore players knocking around during the same period i.e. McLoughlin, Howley, Kilcoyne, Munnelly.   So I wouldn't be so quick to blame S/G players for failures during O'Mahony's time in charge.  In fact I wouldn't point the finger at any individual player or group of players in relation to those losses.  If the same system and style of play was in place during those years as we currently have then it's likely results would have been alot different. 

It's also worth pointing out that "there were a few Shrule men on the panel" on plenty of occasions during the 00s when Mayo displayed the grit and spirit required to win big games, games which were significantly more important than last Sunday.  So I think you should give a bit more thought in future before making such lazy and uninformed comments about a club who have served Mayo teams as prominently as any other club during the last 15 years or so.

I think he was probably having a pop at the reference to the presence or absence of S/G players in the Mortimer family statement than having a pop at S/G itself Drummer. That's how I picked it up anyway.

Bang on ICC. Nothing against Shrule at all. I did say I was having a go at the O'Mahony era that, under the circumstances we would probably have given in with a few minutes to go. And while you're at it there Drummer, I thought McLoughlin was ineffective, Kilcoyne was right to be dropped because he was not producing scores for Knockmore. Howley was never a number 6 and Munnelly was too light for intercounty football. I still think Shane McHale is a good full back but hey, he's not making it for a reason and that reason is because the backs we have are top notch!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayo.mick

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 17, 2012, 12:03:26 PM
Barry should be fine for the next game Lar barring injury( fingers crossed for the big man) because he got two yellows rather than a straight red, which doesn't carry a suspension as far as I know.

Was wondering that meself, if he got a straight red he'd miss the next match. Barry and Aiden are a great midfield pairing.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

GalwayBayBoy

Also the backs, my Roscommon relatives couldn't understand how the performance of Kelly and Marren had dropped so considerably.

Not hard to figure that one out. Against Galway there was acres of empty space left in front of the Galway full-back line for Kelly and Marren to exploit. They were left one on one so often during the second half in particular it was ridiculous. Mayo have not been nearly as naive as we currently are and they usually have plenty of players back behind the ball defending, clogging up the space in between the full-back and half-back lines.

RedandGreenSniper

That game was never going to be as easy as some people thought but Mayo could have made it a small bit easier on themselves if they had been more effective in taking their chances in the first half. But I really think that the Mortimer saga combined with the lack of a meaningful game since the NFL Final combined to produce the rustiness and nervous play we saw in the first half.

But they upped it after the break and weren't disrupted by the excellent character that Sligo showed in responding to practically every Mayo score with a point at the other end within a minute. Credit to Sligo there.

Colm Keys in the Irish Indo was bang on when talking about Mortimer. He said his timing in leaving could never be justified but the reasons for it stand up to some scrutiny. That's true on how our corner-forwards played, especially Varley. But it didn't give Mortimer the right to do what he did and we must cope without him - I wouldn't like to see any notions entertained of him being brought back because he has done so much damage now.

As regards the team for the quarter-final I would love to see a situation where Seamie O'Shea was fit or either Gibbons or McGarrity found form so that one of the three of them could accompany Barry at midfield, free up Aidan O'Shea to 11 and release Cillian to one of the corner-forward slots. Aidan is a real dynamic number 11 but I think we will have to play him at midfield. Other options are to play Freeman at 11 and Cillian in the corner, Andy at 11 and Freeman at 14, Dillon at 11 and Richie Feeney or Seamie O'Shea at 12 or stick with Cillian at 11. I hope Horan doesn't try to stick it out with Cillian there. He would have been a much bigger threat for Ross Donavan at 13. And if I was to pick someone else for the other corner it would be Michael Conroy. He should have scored the last day on two occasions but he showed well and won ball in space. The accuracy can be refined, the ability to win his ball and create the chance is there already.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

magpie seanie

Just about able to put a few words on here now. Very disappointed with the result obviously but I'd see it as a major missed opportunity. We could easily have done it and when you factor in the 2010 clusterfcuk it just makes it worse. I've seen us in 5 Connacht finals and the 4 we've lost are by a combined 7 points. We really should have one or two more on the board over the last 15 years. Really sick walking out amidst hordes of Mayo people as the cup was being presented. It means nothing to ye at all.

Neither side played well but I expected both managments to have their homework done and so they did. I'd be a bit frustrated about our attempts to circumvent Mayo's tactics, think we had options that weren't explored or used way too late. Some second half scores were given away far too cheaply. O'Se obviously made a huge difference but our kickouts shouldn't have been going his way. I know Mayo missed quite a number of chances but a couple of ones we missed really cost us in the end. Pity one of them wasn't given as a point, it never seems to go that way...Our team are very fit and well prepared. We possibly deserved another crack at it but didn't get it.

On Mayo - I think Barney is right. A lot of people will downgrade Mayo's rating based on that performance but Sligo did a decent job at cutting off a lot of options for Mayo. Horan is a good manager who knows what he is at and is getting the players to work hard. i've no doubt they'll improve, the QF draw will be interesting.

RedandGreenSniper

I hear you about the kickouts to O'Shea's wing Seanie but Barry Moran was winning everything on his wing as well. I think that was essentially the difference between the teams - Mayo's midfield dominance, they must have won 20 clean possessions.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ck

Can anyone solve an argument? What age is Eamon O'Hara?

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 17, 2012, 01:47:51 PM
Just about able to put a few words on here now. Very disappointed with the result obviously but I'd see it as a major missed opportunity. We could easily have done it and when you factor in the 2010 clusterfcuk it just makes it worse. I've seen us in 5 Connacht finals and the 4 we've lost are by a combined 7 points. We really should have one or two more on the board over the last 15 years. Really sick walking out amidst hordes of Mayo people as the cup was being presented. It means nothing to ye at all.

Neither side played well but I expected both managments to have their homework done and so they did. I'd be a bit frustrated about our attempts to circumvent Mayo's tactics, think we had options that weren't explored or used way too late. Some second half scores were given away far too cheaply. O'Se obviously made a huge difference but our kickouts shouldn't have been going his way. I know Mayo missed quite a number of chances but a couple of ones we missed really cost us in the end. Pity one of them wasn't given as a point, it never seems to go that way...Our team are very fit and well prepared. We possibly deserved another crack at it but didn't get it.

On Mayo - I think Barney is right. A lot of people will downgrade Mayo's rating based on that performance but Sligo did a decent job at cutting off a lot of options for Mayo. Horan is a good manager who knows what he is at and is getting the players to work hard. i've no doubt they'll improve, the QF draw will be interesting.

This win meant plenty to me and everyone with me at the game (well maybe not my Sligo neighbours ;)). Maybe it's a north Mayo thing but I've had nothing but respect for this Sligo team and county over the last 15 or 16 years. It isn't as if you haven't beat us during that period and we have had probably our most successful teams since 50/51 during this time too albeit without  landing the big prize. To be honest I'm getting a little tired of all this Mayo arrogance thing from Sligo posters as if we are some big bad bullies because we are confident of winning when we meet in the championship. I think it's classic chip on the shoulder stuff from being the less successful neighbouring county. The facts are we are a good team who have gone close to wining Sam over the past 20 years and we have consistently challenged at under age levels as well. We may not be good enough to win Sam this year or in the next few years but we have shown ourselves good enough to beat Sligo as they have been good enough to beat us over the past few seasons and it would be nice Seanie if you could have a bit more grace in defeat and show us a tiny bit more respect before you accuse us of not caring about winning back to back Nestor cups.

moysider

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 17, 2012, 01:47:51 PM
Just about able to put a few words on here now. Very disappointed with the result obviously but I'd see it as a major missed opportunity. We could easily have done it and when you factor in the 2010 clusterfcuk it just makes it worse. I've seen us in 5 Connacht finals and the 4 we've lost are by a combined 7 points. We really should have one or two more on the board over the last 15 years. Really sick walking out amidst hordes of Mayo people as the cup was being presented. It means nothing to ye at all. Neither side played well but I expected both managments to have their homework done and so they did. I'd be a bit frustrated about our attempts to circumvent Mayo's tactics, think we had options that weren't explored or used way too late. Some second half scores were given away far too cheaply. O'Se obviously made a huge difference but our kickouts shouldn't have been going his way. I know Mayo missed quite a number of chances but a couple of ones we missed really cost us in the end. Pity one of them wasn't given as a point, it never seems to go that way...Our team are very fit and well prepared. We possibly deserved another crack at it but didn't get it.

It sure does. I was on the pitch with the kids for the presentation - so it s unfair to tar us all with the same brush same as it s unfair to tell us all how we think before games which many people like to do as well. That was my 14th time see us win the Nestor Cup and if we won it twice as often in that time it wouldn t have been enough for me. Like you and Sligo I think we left many behind us.

I wouldn t be inclined to agree with most of the rest but I m with 'Sniper on the kickout business. I also thought Sligo dealth with our running game as well as could be expected waith the amount of possession we had and gave themselves a great chance of winning the match.

As regards Mayo going forward it is difficult to know. We appear to be a couple of eggs short of an omelette. I m not sure where the last 20% to be a top team is going to come from. Unfortunately Varley is only good enough to get you beat. Ross Donavan was the springboard for so many Sligo attacks the last day it wasn 't funny. We got away with it the last day but can t do that again. The fact that we re unsettled inside could work in our favour because teams won t be able to plan - like we were able to plan for Marren and Kelly. Now is not the time to have shown a full hand. However we have not deliberately hiding forwards - on the contrary we ve been desperately searching for the right tick. If it does tick next game or two it could be soon enough. But it s a big if.

moysider

Quote from: ck on July 17, 2012, 02:23:59 PM
Can anyone solve an argument? What age is Eamon O'Hara?

He s 36 and will be 37 before end of year.

magpie seanie

Eamonn turns 37 this year, not sure when.

I must be blind so and mixing up the red and green jersied people leaving and ignoring the presentation with Mayo people. Respect? Do me a favour!

As for the arrogance - there are many who aren't but you have to accept there are loads who are. Unless my ears were failing me I heard loads of it coming down on the train from Dublin. Even when the ticket collector suggested Sligo might put up a decent fight it was met with - no, don't think so. Those 4 at least were better than the clown from Doohoma who never shut up about Mayo football and how much he knew the whole flippin way down. Thank God for the change at Athlone!