new york/toronto

Started by blewuporstuffed, March 12, 2009, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

was considering booking a holiday to new york and Toronto  for the summer,driving between them to see niagra falls.anyone ever do this , have any idea how long it takes? How long would you need to spend in new york or toronto to see the main sights?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Gnevin

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 12, 2009, 01:04:36 PM
was considering booking a holiday to new york and Toronto  for the summer,driving between them to see niagra falls.anyone ever do this , have any idea how long it takes? How long would you need to spend in new york or toronto to see the main sights?

I did when was younger , from Toronto ,it's only 70km take about 2 hours to drive . You'd want about 3 days in Toronto.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

5 Sams

Toronto to NYC will take you about 10 hours..as Gnevin says 2 hours will have you in Niagara Falls.....well worth the visit....make sure you go on the Maid of the Mist....

Toronto is a great town but I agree with Gnevin when he says that 2 or 3 days would be enough to cover the main sights.... try to get to a Blue Jays game in the Skydome (or whatever it's called now). Tickets are usually handy enough got and its a great experience.

As for New York....allow about 3 years :o
The Aristocrat Years

Galwaybhoy

You will have seen everything that there is to see in Toronto in about 3-5 days, so I'd put more of your time towards New York.  I loved both city's, but especially Toronto.  Its much quieter and cleaner too.  I'd say its no exaggeration to say its the nicest city I have visited.  If you go to the Niagra Falls you should try to get the boat that brings you out towards the waterfall, its an amazing sight and the experience of going so close on the boat makes it even better.

Gabriel_Hurl

3/4 days is perfectly long enough in Toronto

(says the fella who has been here nearly 7 years)

lurganblue

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 12, 2009, 01:28:36 PM
Toronto to NYC will take you about 10 hours..as Gnevin says 2 hours will have you in Niagara Falls.....well worth the visit....make sure you go on the Maid of the Mist....

Toronto is a great town but I agree with Gnevin when he says that 2 or 3 days would be enough to cover the main sights.... try to get to a Blue Jays game in the Skydome (or whatever it's called now). Tickets are usually handy enough got and its a great experience.

As for New York....allow about 3 years :o

Rogers Centre or something like that now. i was lucky enough to see the yankees play there. great night out...

there is a tower in Niagra with a revolving diner at the top. well worth getting your lunch up there and taking in the view

Goats Do Shave

Go in September & tie in with the 7's competition!

Super City, one of the nicest i've ever been to. Niagra is a sleazy little town though... wouldn't stay!

lurganblue

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on March 12, 2009, 01:44:07 PM
Go in September & tie in with the 7's competition!

Super City, one of the nicest i've ever been to. Niagra is a sleazy little town though... wouldn't stay!

i got roped into playing for some team called Brampton Roger Casements in that. no joy though

Galwaybhoy

Also if you cant make a baseball game (which I didn't get a chance to) at least get a tour of the Rogers Centre (I hate that name).  I got a tour from a slightly strange balding fellow with long hair on the sides who used to walk backwards most of the time, but despite that it was great to at least get to see all around the stadium!

5 Sams

Blewup....Check this thread out or as someone said PM a few of the lads that live out there for info...Heganboy is a great source of info...

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=6176.0

The Aristocrat Years

blewuporstuffed

cheers lads,
trying to see if i can swing 3 weeks off work for the trip as dont think 2 would be enough.
will prob fly into toronto for bout 3/4 days then on to niagra for maybe a nite and then  new york and spend the rest of the time there and then home from there.
never been a big fan of baseball, but i like going to pretty much any big sporting events, so might give it a go.wouldnt mind gettin to a ice hockey game but
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

heganboy

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 12, 2009, 02:33:34 PM
wouldnt mind gettin to a ice hockey game but
???
There's a whist drive on that weekend, probably better than this ice hockey of which you speak- see if you can also time it so the world marbles team finals are on
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: heganboy on March 12, 2009, 02:53:34 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 12, 2009, 02:33:34 PM
wouldnt mind gettin to a ice hockey game but
???
There's a whist drive on that weekend, probably better than this ice hockey of which you speak- see if you can also time it so the world marbles team finals are on

:D :D
take it your not a ice hokey fan then heg!
always like to get to different sports even if i'm not a big fan of them
(altough i couldnt bring myself to go to cricket when i lived in melbourne even though the MCG was just in the road!)

Canalman

Toronto, while a nice city is a place imo you will get tiredof/bored with quiet quickly. NY is the opposite. A week is the minimum needed to do the place justice.
If going to a baseball game (boring enough but great for people watching) go to see the Mets play ......... a lot more "rough 'n ready" than Yankee Stadium. Think they have a new stadium as well and the Mets are traditionally the team supported by the Irish in NY.
Give Little Italy a miss...... an expensive tourist trap.