Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: hardstation on December 22, 2013, 01:23:44 AM
It is as simple as this. If this concert arena begins to run at a loss, it is us members of the association who are going to be left to foot the bill.

I have no issue putting it out there now, my club cannot afford it.

This is going to crucify us.

Take your medicine. Ulster council lads who we put forward have it all sorted. I trust them to do the right thing here and look after us.

Redhand Santa

There's a lot of backward thinking in here. The gaa is being given a fortune to build a 21st century stadium and would be crazy not to take it. Every stadium currently in ulster is out of date and not family friendly. There is no doubt that the modern croke park has helped transform the gaa and attract more people to the games. I'm not sure about the location but I can see the thinking of putting it in the second largest city in the country. Parking etc will be an issue but hopefully plans can be put in place to make it run smoothly. I do have doubts on the size as well and maybe 30,000 would be enough but then I can see a case of making it big enough to hold ulster finals.

With a stadium filled with comfortable seats and ability to offer family tickets far more families are likely to go compared to the alternative of going to stand on a terrace. The facilities can be used as a selling point in our games and provide a wonderful venue for the players. It doesn't have to be packed either to host games in it. I've seen great atmosphere's in croke park for All Ireland Junior and Intermediate finals with a few thousand in it.

However, there is no point in having it if they don't sit down and see exactly how it can be used to attract large crowds and really promote the games (hopefully can be used for other things but selling our own games is most important). With a bit of marketing perhaps one or 2 big league double headers could be played in it under lights. If got the right combination of games and counties there's no reason it couldn't work - for god sake they were able to attract nearly 20,000 for a friendly between Donegal and Ulster last year. Depending on the draw a double header of first round games could go there including the Antrim one. Both ulster semi's no doubt will go to it and obviously the final. They would need to push for a quarter final as well. If they got the right facilities and access to the ground it really could be built into a great day out like Croke Park.

Dougal Maguire

I couldn't agree more. I'm also at a loss as to why concerts are such a big deal. If the residents have any sense they should seize the opportunity to make a few quid selling bottles of water bars of chocolate etc from the front of their houses. They could clean up
Careful now

orangeman

There'll be enough big days provided by soccer, rugby, GAA and the government to make it sustainable.

The residents will get a few quid.

Everybody happy.

theticklemister

ONeill

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 22, 2013, 12:08:20 PM
I couldn't agree more. I'm also at a loss as to why concerts are such a big deal. If the residents have any sense they should seize the opportunity to make a few quid selling bottles of water bars of chocolate etc from the front of their houses. They could clean up

WKD, glue and pastie baps.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on December 22, 2013, 01:11:48 PM

Aye but most people going will be culchies. Anything to do with twin-cams, diffing or Garth Brooks will do the trick.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 20, 2013, 04:14:57 PM
This whole idea of having premium levels and VIP areas to my mind is far removed from the ethos of the GAA. I don't mind the smallish section you get in Semple, Armagh, Omagh etc. But this introduces division based on money and influence. I would see through it if Clubs were to get a sahre of such tickets for their use but that won't happen.

Would you prefer if Croke Park had never been redeveloped then?

BennyCake

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 22, 2013, 05:36:31 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 22, 2013, 01:11:48 PM

Aye but most people going will be culchies. Anything to do with twin-cams, diffing or Garth Brooks will do the trick.

Don't put the rest of us in with the Garth Brooks-loving Tyronies!

Wildweasel74

Anybody who wen to the foo fighters on the boucher road would know casement park is totally unsuitable for concerts, the houses nearby are just too close

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 22, 2013, 09:37:32 PM
Anybody who wen to the foo fighters on the boucher road would know casement park is totally unsuitable for concerts, the houses nearby are just too close

You've been to Croke for a concert? Or even for a game? there are houses the whole way around it.....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

our_fella

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 22, 2013, 09:51:34 AM
There's a lot of backward thinking in here. The gaa is being given a fortune to build a 21st century stadium and would be crazy not to take it. Every stadium currently in ulster is out of date and not family friendly. There is no doubt that the modern croke park has helped transform the gaa and attract more people to the games. I'm not sure about the location but I can see the thinking of putting it in the second largest city in the country. Parking etc will be an issue but hopefully plans can be put in place to make it run smoothly. I do have doubts on the size as well and maybe 30,000 would be enough but then I can see a case of making it big enough to hold ulster finals.

With a stadium filled with comfortable seats and ability to offer family tickets far more families are likely to go compared to the alternative of going to stand on a terrace. The facilities can be used as a selling point in our games and provide a wonderful venue for the players. It doesn't have to be packed either to host games in it. I've seen great atmosphere's in croke park for All Ireland Junior and Intermediate finals with a few thousand in it.

However, there is no point in having it if they don't sit down and see exactly how it can be used to attract large crowds and really promote the games (hopefully can be used for other things but selling our own games is most important). With a bit of marketing perhaps one or 2 big league double headers could be played in it under lights. If got the right combination of games and counties there's no reason it couldn't work - for god sake they were able to attract nearly 20,000 for a friendly between Donegal and Ulster last year. Depending on the draw a double header of first round games could go there including the Antrim one. Both ulster semi's no doubt will go to it and obviously the final. They would need to push for a quarter final as well. If they got the right facilities and access to the ground it really could be built into a great day out like Croke Park.

Clearly you havent been to the Athletic Grounds since its been done up?? Muppet

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2013, 01:25:29 AM
I see they have appointed a contractor for the stadium.

It's beginning to fall into place.....

Ryan Feeney, Faughanvale, Co. Derry
Stephen McGeehan, Ballinderry, Co. Tyrone

Mark H Durkan, Derry City, Co. Derry

Heron Bros, Ballinascreen, Co. Derry

Hmmm

I hope you're not implying that the GAA would be underhand when awarding contracts??

The tendering process will all be above board and transparent like always  ;)

Oh, surely Creagh Concrete would be in with a good shout in providing the concrete considering they already put their hands in their pockets in sponsoring the saffrons!!

Applesisapples

Quote from: orangeman on December 21, 2013, 09:52:25 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 20, 2013, 04:14:57 PM
This whole idea of having premium levels and VIP areas to my mind is far removed from the ethos of the GAA. I don't mind the smallish section you get in Semple, Armagh, Omagh etc. But this introduces division based on money and influence. I would see through it if Clubs were to get a sahre of such tickets for their use but that won't happen.

The rugby and soccer boys have plenty of money. They'll bring a lot of corporate money.
I can't wait to see OWC play there with our fleg flying over the Nationalist West Belfast and Caral standing for the Queen. Or maybe we'll have agreement on a ne NI fleg with Dolly's Brae as our anthem.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 22, 2013, 09:51:34 AM
Every stadium currently in ulster is out of date and not family friendly. There is no doubt that the modern croke park has helped transform the gaa and attract more people to the games.

With a stadium filled with comfortable seats and ability to offer family tickets far more families are likely to go compared to the alternative of going to stand on a terrace. The facilities can be used as a selling point in our games and provide a wonderful venue for the players.

However, there is no point in having it if they don't sit down and see exactly how it can be used to attract large crowds and really promote the games (hopefully can be used for other things but selling our own games is most important). With a bit of marketing perhaps one or 2 big league double headers could be played in it under lights.

That selection must be amongst the biggest pile of shite I've ever read on this board.

I go to a match to watch the teams and the sporting competition, not observe the seat my arse is on.

I played in games to win, not look around me at the big stands.

The GAA already has by far the highest percentage of children at its games (relative to soccer/rugby), despite their (supposed) dilapidated stadia.

Sh!te like that above will be what will drive finances into the red - chasing needless white elephants to satisfy eejits who are living in a little dream world of their own.
i usse an speelchekor