Laois Senior Football Championship 2016

Started by Heshs Umpire, March 04, 2016, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monument Road

Quote from: Saint75 on October 17, 2016, 11:29:35 PM
There are 2 cameras on every game in omp for this reason and they should be used. With the amount of Stradbally officials in around omp I doubt if it will.
oooops...a bit over the top me thinks

Joeythelips

Having not seen any club games this year is there anyone people have seen in the club championship that could possibly make the county team?

I know people are saying the county final was not great quality from a football point of view, but Stradbally players obviously have good character, they did not hang their heads losing an early goal they rolled up their sleeves and got on with things. They needed a bit of luck but beating a team of Portlaoise's quality is no mean achievement. Portlaoise may not be as good as they were but they had serious experience on the pitch so surely it would indicate there is some potential in some of the Stradbally guys.

El Jefe

There was a lad Comerford playing centre forward for Stradbally, looked very good

Heshs Umpire

Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

the sash

I stated previously aswell I thought that a stradbally point was  wide. In d first half on the town end n  everyone around me thought d same but maybe it was d angle we were looking from I was on d 45 on d town end. Doesn't really matter now

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: the sash on October 18, 2016, 09:27:11 PM
I stated previously aswell I thought that a stradbally point was  wide. In d first half on the town end n  everyone around me thought d same but maybe it was d angle we were looking from I was on d 45 on d town end. Doesn't really matter now
Must've been the angle cos I had the best view of anyone in the ground.  :)
To be fair, there was two tight point calls at the town end in the first half but they were both over. Graham Brody wouldn't be long letting us know if they weren't.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Giovanni

Fair play to you Hesh.

It would be helpful for everyone I think if officials could discuss these things after matches. In the majority of cases, it would help everyone move on.

redsetanta

While no team would want to lose a county final and particularly Portlaoise looking for 10 in a row, I would say that the Portlaoise lads after having time to reflect on it won't mind the time off. This team have been on the go up to December almost every year for the past 10 years. Any county panellists would not have had a break at all from football.
While the defeat will hurt them, the break certainly won't.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

town1980

alot of amalgamations being muted around,,teams amalgamating manager chice will be very important to them,,strad def wont do 2 in a row but clubs will take alot of heart after last weeks result

welcomehome

well said redsenta...thr break will do them no harm..this is not the end of this team ,as a lot of people would like to think...they owe portlaoise or the county nothing.....

The Monument Road

Quote from: redsetanta on October 19, 2016, 11:37:08 AM
While no team would want to lose a county final and particularly Portlaoise looking for 10 in a row, I would say that the Portlaoise lads after having time to reflect on it won't mind the time off. This team have been on the go up to December almost every year for the past 10 years. Any county panellists would not have had a break at all from football.
While the defeat will hurt them, the break certainly won't.
Slightly disagree with you on this as a few other factors combined led to their downfall.Firstly,not a lot of the portlaoise lads were with the county panel this year maybe 3or4. The problem i see with Portlaoise is that hardly any of the senior team play club league football and they have at least 3 permantley living in the UK. (I thought a lot of them were somewhat unfit last sunday). They also lost Paul Cotter, a huge loss plus lost Bruno early in the game. They also have poor quality on the bench to replace these guys due to their lack of success at underage recently. Starting to train in June is not proper preperation these days. As for Stradbally they got everyone on board this year plus they got a few very experienced players back playing. They got a relativley easy enough run to the final and played from a full hand(Bar Colm Kelly).
On another note If you look at the age profile of Stradbally they probably got the last from at least 4 of those who finished last sunday. They are also falling behind at underage. ( I hear the parish cannot field an u21 team this year or last year). So IMO the championship will be very open next year and ongoing. Any team who puts in the preperation that Stradbally put in this year ( along with a bit of luck) will be there or thereabouts.

redsetanta

I never gave it as a reason for the defeat.
Bear in mind they were only beaten by a goal with the last kick of the game. Any other day Portlaoise would have 10 in a row.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

maccer

Firstly congratulations to stradbally. They really hung in there, left everything on the pitch and were able to produce the moment of brilliance at the exact right time. Hopefully they'll give Leinster a decent run.
People are getting carried away though heralding a new era. Most suspected the town would be caught in the next couple of years. From a county view you'd hope it was a case of another club matching they're magnificent heights rather than portlaoise coming back to the pack. Unfortunately the latter is the case. Portlaoise were poor by their standards Sunday but were still seeing out the game comfortably enough until Jody Dillon struck. Stradbally only scored one point from a 14 yards free in the 2nd half. Portlaoise made some very poor decisions with the ball when normally they would have put the game to bed. You can't help but feel that had portlaoise (in particular one or two of the normal leaders) played even slightly better they would have won.
While it may be good to see new champions it would be better to see standards raised

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: maccer on October 19, 2016, 05:07:17 PM
People are getting carried away though heralding a new era. Most suspected the town would be caught in the next couple of years.

Agree. Kerry in 82 were going for a 5-in-a-row. They were beaten by a late, late by Offaly. They may have come again in 1983, but were beaten by an even later goal from Tadhg Murphy (Cork) in the Munster final. They returned in 84 to win 3-in-a-row....then disappeared for 11 years.

Portlaoise may well simmer for a few years, but the quality of what's coming through is lower than what's gone before. The fact that they're beaten should help take some of the fear-factor away. They're still head and shoulders above nearly ever senior team in the county and that won't change for the next few years at best.

Their actions in looking for other players from within the parish stemmed from the loophole in the rule that meant that they couldn't go looking outside the parish. Hopefully, the loophole will be closed and they will have to make do with their miserable pickings from the 25,000 that hail from the town.

town1980

big roumours of the heath gaa going to be a gaels team,,with the timahoe village apart of the amalgamation,,can this work???if so they would be a seriously strong side