Caltra's 10th Anniversary

Started by inexile, March 15, 2014, 01:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inexile

Rooting through Facebook there and I see it's 10 years since Caltra's All Ireland Club Championship win. They're having an anniversary celebration this weekend and I hope it goes well for them. It was one of those wins you  know the sort that gets you thinking, if they could do it then its not beyond any club.

Syferus

Quote from: inexile on March 15, 2014, 01:43:42 PM
Rooting through Facebook there and I see it's 10 years since Caltra's All Ireland Club Championship win. They're having an anniversary celebration this weekend and I hope it goes well for them. It was one of those wins you  know the sort that gets you thinking, if they could do it then its not beyond any club.

If you happen to have a generational talent like Michael Meehan at your club!

It was a magical run but one I'd say now has become even harder with how seriously the top clubs take the provincials/AI series.

GalwayBayBoy

You'd wonder if such a small club will ever win the club All-Ireland again given the way demographics are going towards towns and cities. Caltra literally has a church, a pub and a shop and that's it. You'd drive through it in about 5 seconds.

mouview

Quote from: Syferus on March 15, 2014, 01:47:07 PM
Quote from: inexile on March 15, 2014, 01:43:42 PM

If you happen to have a generational talent like Michael Meehan at your club!

It was a magical run but one I'd say now has become even harder with how seriously the top clubs take the provincials/AI series.

And he was ably helped by his brothers, particularly Declan and Noel, both of whom gave great displays in the final. The supporting cast were excellent also. The absolute epitome of a small rural club winning big. They haven't even contested a county final since.