Suicide - why can't we just name it?

Started by Eamonnca1, November 05, 2013, 10:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 07, 2013, 09:04:41 AM
My wife had a big row with her 'old school' mother who claimed that if a death is described as "sudden" in the death notices in the papers then it was surely suicide if one didn't hear of a car accident or some other type accident.

I too was astonished by this view head by mid-70s rural Irish mammies.
The previous generation understood/understand very life very well. For example there were always gay people in rural communities even if the culture ignored them. I found the holy joes really interesting because they were so ignorant of real life.

Denn Forever

iT MAY THAT PEOPLE HAVE LIFE POLICES THAT ARE INVALID DUE TO SUICIDE?             
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

johnnycool

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 06, 2023, 02:01:40 PM
iT MAY THAT PEOPLE HAVE LIFE POLICES THAT ARE INVALID DUE TO SUICIDE?           

And what is put in the local newspaper won't matter to that, it will be the death certificate signed off by a doctor and that will go into detail as to the actual cause of death.

trailer

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 06, 2023, 11:29:45 AM
it is scary the amount of suicide happening recently... scary and so sad

So so sad. The chances of actually being born are absolutely miniscule. Trillions to 1. Life is so precious. More needs to be done in our schools and communities to tackle what is a scourge on our society.
I get why it isn't reported in the papers and that is to stop copycats. Anorexia went through this, with the more focus on it the more it seemed to fuel the cases. Like wise with the transgenderism going on. Very difficult to combat in todays social media society.

grounded

I've been at a few talks in relation to suicide. SafeTalk ran one of their workshops and it was very enlightening, particularly in relation to the language used when describing suicide. A few of the main points;
1. The best way to find out if someone is thinking of suicide is to ask directly.
2. Asking directly will not give someone the idea
3. Avoiding direct and open talk about suicide is not helpful and could be dangerous.

As part of the training we had to roleplay and directly ask another participant were they thinking of suicide.
      It was extremely difficult, certainly for our group and i think its probably a cultural thing in Ireland. We would have used phrases like ' your not thinking of doing something silly/hurting yourself' even role playing it was very difficult. Of course the American/Canadian actors/actresses in the video roleplay had no bother asking had they suicidal thoughts. This is also true to life, because as a general rule of thumb, we as a people don't like discussing these topics in a direct matter of fact manner.
      The training definitely helped and if you do get a chance to participate in a safeTalk workshop well worth doing.

One last point i was amazed in the % of the population in society who had suicidal thoughts at some stage.
       About one in six according to their stats