Recommend me a mobile phone

Started by Never beat the deeler, March 17, 2020, 04:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Hi guys,

Thought there might be someone on here that could help me, as I'm a little bit ignorant to most things technology:

Currently have a Samsung S7 which is due an upgrade. Issues with battery not lasting a day, and storage. The phone is over 3 years old and only has 32GB of space, so I imagine most phones would provide an upgrade on that.

Don't really use the phone for much - streaming videos to TV or Chromecast; Twitter; podcasts etc
Would like a decent camera

I looked at getting the Samsung S10 now that the S20 is out, but it seems to be almost the same price.
Someone at work recommended an Oppo Reno - anyone on the board have one?
Or another phone that might  suit?

Thanks in advance
Hasta la victoria siempre

gallsman

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Boycey on March 17, 2020, 07:38:41 AM
Quote from: gallsman on March 17, 2020, 07:08:42 AM
OnePlus 7T.

Beat me too it

I have had the One Plus 6 for close to 2 years now, still a great phone for it's age. When the time comes for a new phone it'll be a One Plus again.

gallsman

The OnePlus 8 is on the way, coronavirus dependent, so the 7T should be dropping in price soon. Based on what you've said, there's no need to go for the Pro version.

Never beat the deeler

Thanks for the responses. Oneplus phones not available directly in Australia, might consider shipping one from overseas, but a bit of a risk
Hasta la victoria siempre

Solo_run

OnePlus is an incredible phone. Have has the 6 for just under 2 years and it really is amazing

gallsman

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 17, 2020, 10:16:30 PM
Thanks for the responses. Oneplus phones not available directly in Australia, might consider shipping one from overseas, but a bit of a risk

AliExpress or eglobal will sort you out.

take_yer_points

I had a OnePlus 3, now I have a 5T. I had that 2 years in December past and still going strong on a SIM only contract. Great phones, and will be staying with OnePlus for the next one

toby47

Out of curiosity what do you's like about the OnePlus?

I have an iPhone8 (have been iPhone for near 10 years now) and due an upgrade in 2 months time. Would probably stick with iPhone again but would also be as open to change if there was a general feeling there is a better phone on the market.

Boycey

I had iPhones for years but they became too expensive, OnePlus were making a name for themselves and offering similar spec phones for half the price so I took a chance and moved over.

There's a big change in iOS and Android but once you get used to it it's brilliant. Way more customisable and with the ability to sideload many more Apps  ;)

gallsman

The initial decision is iPhone Vs Android and one that's made, with OnePlus you used to get 90% of the top phones from Samsung etc for about 50% of the price. Closer to 70% now.

Of all the handset manufacturers, it's operating system is the one that most closely resembles or Android and, in some cases, surpasses it. Too much bloat on other devices.

Solo_run

Quote from: toby47 on March 18, 2020, 10:07:26 AM
Out of curiosity what do you's like about the OnePlus?

I have an iPhone8 (have been iPhone for near 10 years now) and due an upgrade in 2 months time. Would probably stick with iPhone again but would also be as open to change if there was a general feeling there is a better phone on the market.

Top end specs and more.
Reliable - haven't had a single problem yet.
Excellent build quality
Battery life is very good
Charges to 60% on a 20-30 minute charge
Much cheaper than top brands and offers the same performance

One plus has access to the same apps as other Android devices. You can add apps that aren't in the app store but it does put your phone at risk. It isn't a closed operating system much like apple but that's is all Android phones and you just need to be a little more savvy with security - not obsessively though.

Main Street

Last autumn I got an  Huawei 20 pro,  amazon uk for GBP350, about GBP150 cheaper than OnePlus 7t, both phones had similar specs.

I missed my (still working) iPhone6 and still use it a lot for music, radio, audiobooks.

For photos/video the Huawei is excellent but weighs in bare at a standard 190gr,  240gr in slim case,  340 in the full cover wallet,  it feels like a lead weight in the pocket, whereas the featherweight  iPhone 6 slips in nice into a shirt pocket.

lurganblue

I'm currently on the p20 pro myself and due to upgrade in about a month. I'm not going to rush to do this though. Most contracts seem to be 3 years now so I'd def be looking for a 5g capable phone even though that coverage isn't spread out yet. I expect it will be inside 3 years. I'll be waiting to have a good look at the one plus 8 and even the new Oppo find X2. It's a real shame the new Huawei p40 pro won't have Google services