Smart watch/Fitness tracker

Started by Dougal Maguire, October 21, 2017, 11:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

My Pebble Time Round has given up the ghost and I'm looking for a replacement, something round, not too thick, that looks like a proper watch rather than a tacograph, which will give me social media, text notifications and track my steps. I'm currently doing a 5 mile walk about 5 times a week. Any suggestions?
Careful now

Jim Bob

lfdown2

looking at updating my running watch - Tomtom (Nike+) watch - looking for a smart watch doubling up as a gps running watch, anyone have any recommendations? (not apple)

lurganblue

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 24, 2017, 09:17:48 AM
looking at updating my running watch - Tomtom (Nike+) watch - looking for a smart watch doubling up as a gps running watch, anyone have any recommendations? (not apple)

I think the sony smartwatch 3 has built in GPS

laoislad

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 24, 2017, 09:17:48 AM
Garmin Fenix 5 if you want to spend  €400- €500.
Or a cheaper option is  Garmin forerunner 235 more in the €200- €300 range.
I think the likes of the Apple watch and Samsungs aren't that great as running watches .
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

illdecide

I have Fitbit surge, decent watch with GPS. Is good for cycling and running and you can synchronize it with Strava too. The only downfall is i can't wear it swimming (well i can but it'll break)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

heganboy

to the fitness folks out there- are there any of the new round of watches that have a built in heart rate monitor, or do you still have to wear the chest strap?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

laoislad

Quote from: heganboy on October 24, 2017, 03:36:21 PM
to the fitness folks out there- are there any of the new round of watches that have a built in heart rate monitor, or do you still have to wear the chest strap?
Most have wrist sensors now. I've an older model Forerunner  225 and it has a built in HR Sensor.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

illdecide

Quote from: heganboy on October 24, 2017, 03:36:21 PM

Yes Fitbit Surge has 2 green led lights at back of watch that read blood flow and gives you heart rate
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

Karl Kennedy

Looking for a sports watch that simply tracks KMs ran and has a separate stop watch for timing football matches / training sessions. I tried a Fitbit but it was a waste of time as it steps increased while I was driving so wasn't any way accurate. No GPS watch I have come across seems to have a separate stop watch that isn't linked to a run. Any ideas?

Syferus

Apple Watch does both. It's the best all-round smart watch/fitness tracker. It tracks distance more accurately than other bands I've tried.

Only catch is if you've not got an iPhone you're out of luck.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on February 14, 2018, 11:12:29 PM
Looking for a sports watch that simply tracks KMs ran and has a separate stop watch for timing football matches / training sessions. I tried a Fitbit but it was a waste of time as it steps increased while I was driving so wasn't any way accurate. No GPS watch I have come across seems to have a separate stop watch that isn't linked to a run. Any ideas?
You can adjust the sensitivity settings so it only picks up genuine movements. It has a stopwatch and also has a GPS tracker. When I say "it" I mean some of the Fitbits.

Karl Kennedy

Wouldn't necessarily have to be a smart watch, just as long as it tracks runs and has the stop watch.

Karl Kennedy

Another try for this lads..

A GPS watch with a separate stop watch function? Anyone know of any?