VRT temporary exemption/transfer of residence

Started by downgirl, August 12, 2016, 04:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downgirl

Hi lads, been a while!  Hope you are all well.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with changing the car over from northern reg to southern reg?

I currently have a temporary exemption from VRT (customs came to the door, didn't realise I needed it) as I was a student; runs out at the end of the month.  Started a job in Cork but it's only a 12 month contract...they will hardly give me another exemption for 10 months as I am working here would they?

So basically I was wondering if anybody has been in this situation and can help me out, there are that many forms and leaflets on the Revenue website I'm getting confused.  Do I still need to apply for transfer of residence even though I have the temporary exemption?

Thanks in advance!

gallsman

You're exempt if you're transferring residence from abroad. If you've been living in the south, bought car in the north and are looking to bring it across, pay up like the rest of us.

armaghniac

Students do not transfer normal residence, if you were a student and have now decided to live in Cork then you can import the vehicle VRT free as a transfer of residence if you've owned it for 6 months. If your job is of definite duration then you are entitled to an further exemption, in theory at least. It might depend on whether it is a really a time limited job (like a engineer whose contract ends when a road is built) or just a probation period where both parties expect something to come out of it.

Get your thinking straight on this matter, it is important not to be vague on your situation.

On a practical basis, it is hard to get insurance living in Cork with NI reg.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

downgirl

armaghniac, thanks for the help.  I'm working in pharma so hard to know if there will be a contract extension or not, but like you say it may not be seen as a time limited job. 

armaghniac

Quote from: downgirl on August 13, 2016, 11:46:37 AM
armaghniac, thanks for the help.  I'm working in pharma so hard to know if there will be a contract extension or not, but like you say it may not be seen as a time limited job.

If the car is decent, then you haven't much to lose by bringing in it and it simplifies things. Even if your job didn't work out the next one might also be in the Republic and if not you are allowed sell the car after one year.  If you do import it, track down the bit of the regulations that mentions students, in case some jobsworth tries to count the time you had the temporary exemption as normal residence.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

downgirl

Yeah that's what I was thinking!  I'll print out all the info and forms today and get everything sorted so I know exactly where I stand :)

Rois

Quote from: gallsman on August 12, 2016, 05:57:38 PM
You're exempt if you're transferring residence from abroad. If you've been living in the south, bought car in the north and are looking to bring it across, pay up like the rest of us.
I'm considering a move to the south in a few months, I bought a car up North back in Feb, if I came to live in Dublin, would I be ok then and not have to pay the VRT?

gallsman

You need to have had normal residence and possession of the car outside the state for 6 months prior to moving, so you should be fine. You'll have to put it through the NCT though.