The belly is getting bigger, time to stop the rot.

Started by King Kenny, April 09, 2012, 04:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Right I need a bit of advise on this whole "Don't eat bread" thing.

If I stay away from White is that OK? Would 3-4 slices a day of brown or granery be ok? Or is it a case that all bread is bad for you, and that brown is only less worse?

Ditto pasta and rice.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Fear ón Srath Bán

The basic rule there trueblue is that the more refined (white) the food the worse it is: therefore white bread (basically like eating sugar) is worse than brown/wholemeal, white rice worse than brown, etc.

Just beware marketing/selling scams where they don't just dye the bread brown or such, and stick a 'wholegrain' label on it.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

You want a bread that contains 100% whole wheat. That should be the first ingredient of a "good" bread, that or whole wheat flour.

Brown bread is often just coloured with molasses, or such.

3-4 slices every day, with further pasta/rice/spuds coming after that is getting up there.

Brown rice and whole wheat pasta are your friend if you don't want to substitute them. Brown rice can take a little getting used to - but its pretty decent once you do.

Canalman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 13, 2012, 03:19:28 PM
Right I need a bit of advise on this whole "Don't eat bread" thing.

If I stay away from White is that OK? Would 3-4 slices a day of brown or granery be ok? Or is it a case that all bread is bad for you, and that brown is only less worse?

Ditto pasta and rice.

Rule of thumb is a slice of bread is c5% of you CRDI. Very easy to add the slices up during the day........... hence imo the "don't eat bread" mantra.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: ONeill on April 11, 2012, 10:29:54 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 11, 2012, 10:25:02 PM
Will get up early and on the skipping rope before work and hit the poached egg on toast.

Skipping rope = dope
Egg on toast = coast

You going on KK's bender too?

Bulimia = Utopia
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

heganboy

Quote from: Puckoon on April 13, 2012, 03:52:15 PM
Brown rice and whole wheat pasta are your friend if you don't want to substitute them. Brown rice can take a little getting used to - but its pretty decent once you do.

quinoa, millet and couscous have now made the rotation almost entirely replacing rice and spuds in our house

Add a bit of organic chicken stock to the water when making the stuff to give it a bit more flavo(u)r
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Bingo

I'm doing plenty of exercise but diet would still be lacking in quality at times, too fond of the nice stuff but will hopefully start to work on that.

But the weekend Indian isn't for negotiation, it stays  ;D

Mickey Linden

Is there any point replacing bread at lunch time with pasta or noodles or are they generally the same for putting on the pounds?

Does anyone know what way slimming world works? A mate was on it and said that they basically done without bread but were free to eat as much spuds and meat as they wanted. They swear by this too and have lost a considerble amount of weight from it.

downgirl

Quote from: Mickey Linden on April 13, 2012, 04:55:26 PM
Is there any point replacing bread at lunch time with pasta or noodles or are they generally the same for putting on the pounds?

Does anyone know what way slimming world works? A mate was on it and said that they basically done without bread but were free to eat as much spuds and meat as they wanted. They swear by this too and have lost a considerble amount of weight from it.

There's a new extra easy thing now but I was doing the old version, basically red days and green days, so red days eat as much meat and fish as you want (free foods on red days), green days eat as much pasta, rice, potatoes as you want (free foods on green days).  Most vegetables and fruit are free on both days (eat as much as you want)  off the top of my head though I think it's maybe peas and sweetcorn are only free on green days (so if you eat them with your dinner on a red day they count towards your daily 'syn' total).  You are allowed 10-15 syns a day, and you can use them with your meals or as treats, and it is advisable to use them, if you have zero syns per day it doesn't seem to affect the amount of weight you lose.  You also have healthy extras so you can take 2 small slices of wholemeal bread and 125ml semi skimmed milk as a healthy extra and not count it as syns.  If you want I can send you a pm when I get home with more details about it?

Maguire01

haveaharp

Quote from: Bingo on April 13, 2012, 04:18:35 PM

But the weekend Indian isn't for negotiation, it stays  ;D

What time is she round ?

muppet

Quote from: King Kenny on April 13, 2012, 01:55:07 PM
Porridge mixed with strawberries this morning, I'm actually beginning to enjoy the aul porridge.  If I hadn't anything mixed in it would be a struggle to get it down, but the fruit gives it a bit of taste.  It also keeps me going reasonably well, as I don't think about eating until around 1ish.

I am finding that I can get by eatig a lot less than what I had been.  The hardest time is still night time.  I habitually walk into the kitchen and open cupboards, only to force myself to walk away from the crisps.  I think I'll treat myself to a filled soda tomorrow morning all the same.

How are the rest of you chubbies getting on?

Porridge mixed with f*cking strawberries!

WTF is wrong with you people?

I am having beer mixed with beer. Yesterday I had an Indian mixed with chips, potatoes with extra garlic nan BREAD!

I am on day 3 week 2 tomorrow, up two kilos since I started running and I feel f*cking great.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Had a wobble today and it wasn't just my belly. Friday is fryday at work but had a reasonably healthy fry and healthy lunch and got some exercise done before work. The drive home wasnt spbgood as the missus asked for Dominos and chips and onion rings on the way home! Had half an Easter egg too.  :-[

Puckoon

I do miss proper chips, and onion rings. I'd love a big auld chip gravy and stuffing, with maybe a few battered sausages and an onion ring or two.

Puckoon

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 13, 2012, 11:54:30 PM
Had a wobble today and it wasn't just my belly. Friday is fryday at work but had a reasonably healthy fry and healthy lunch and got some exercise done before work. The drive home wasnt spbgood as the missus asked for Dominos and chips and onion rings on the way home! Had half an Easter egg too.  :-[

I have to love this - what do you mean fry day at work? What's that all about? We have an ice cream van comes around every 2 weeks that the company pays for but I'd be much happier with a fry!