The Household charge

Started by comethekingdom, March 20, 2012, 09:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: downgirl on March 31, 2012, 11:57:09 PM
Lads I got a card through the door during the week there, A5 double sided, full colour, Household Charge - final reminder basically giving all the details of what the money is for, where you can pay, who is liable, exempt etc.

Anyway I was wondering was this sent to every house in the country?  Or just to a list of people who hadn't paid by whatever day they had sent it out?

In any case, I feel this was an unnecessary waste of money on behalf of the government (printing out x million amount of leaflets, distribution via, I assume, an post who will require to be paid as well).  Probably cost the equivalent of 5% of the total amount of households that have already paid the tax!

Pay your taxes and there should be no problem. If people paid their taxes the government would not need to waste money reminding you. I doubt it costs anywhere near 5% to print you a letter reminding you of your duty as a resident, it probably costs closer to 0.01%

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

downgirl

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 01, 2012, 02:39:20 AM
Lads I got a card through the door during the week there, A5 double sided, full colour, Household Charge - final reminder basically giving all the details of what the money is for, where you can pay, who is liable, exempt etc.

Anyway I was wondering was this sent to every house in the country?  Or just to a list of people who hadn't paid by whatever day they had sent it out?

In any case, I feel this was an unnecessary waste of money on behalf of the government (printing out x million amount of leaflets, distribution via, I assume, an post who will require to be paid as well).  Probably cost the equivalent of 5% of the total amount of households that have already paid the tax!

Pay your taxes and there should be no problem. If people paid their taxes the government would not need to waste money reminding you. I doubt it costs anywhere near 5% to print you a letter reminding you of your duty as a resident, it probably costs closer to 0.01%

I'm actually renting so it should have gone to my landlord (who owns a whole block of apartments I live in) and I do pay taxes on what I earn.  So don't accuse me of not paying taxes.

Maguire01

The problem is, the government has no proper records of who lives where or owns what. That's why people have to 'register' before paying. I assume your flyer didn't have your name or address?

Maguire01

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 31, 2012, 02:18:37 PM
So it's up to 30% paid this morning. Doesn't look like it's going to hit 50%. Will be interesting to see what happens now. I thing the government need to ensure this is linked directly to local services - taxpayers should see where their money is going. Maybe local authorities should be funded in line with the proportion of householders in their area that paid the charge?
It hit 50.3% by the deadline - significant surge at the end (although that's on the basis of the disputed 1.6m figure). No doubt another few percent will follow without being chased, but it will be interesting to see what happens next. Anyone who hasn't paid now owes €111.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: downgirl on April 01, 2012, 11:14:49 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 01, 2012, 02:39:20 AM

I'm actually renting so it should have gone to my landlord (who owns a whole block of apartments I live in) and I do pay taxes on what I earn.  So don't accuse me of not paying taxes.

I think you might be confusing her with Tyronegirl
Careful now

muppet

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/EUIMFmemo.pdf

See page 15 of the above document.

It is the memo of understanding between the Troika and The Government, signed by Lenihan and Honohan. It includes a property tax introduced this year and an increase in same next year. FG/Labour have no choice but for some reason are maintaining a pretense of being in charge. They aren't. That was signed away in 2010.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on April 01, 2012, 02:29:36 PM
http://www.merrionstreet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/EUIMFmemo.pdf

See page 15 of the above document.

It is the memo of understanding between the Troika and The Government, signed by Lenihan and Honohan. It includes a property tax introduced this year and an increase in same next year. FG/Labour have no choice but for some reason are maintaining a pretense of being in charge. They aren't. That was signed away in 2010.
Regardless of the Troika, a property tax is appropriate... and necessary to balance the books, even before any of the banking debt is considered... but it should be properly administered and the the tax payer should be able to see where that money goes.

downgirl

Yes Maguire it was a 'generic' thing, no name or address. 

Nally Stand

"It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home" - Enda Kenny (1994)

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

sammymaguire

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 07, 2012, 08:35:35 PM
"It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home" - Enda Kenny (1994)

Laugh Out Loud!! Jokers the lot of them
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Leo

I have a 4-bedroom house in County Down. I pay £1200 in rates.
My daughter has a 4-bedroom house in Galway and is complaining about a household charge of €100.
This is my understanding of the two nations theory!
Fierce tame altogether

All of a Sludden

Quote from: All of a Sludden on March 21, 2012, 07:39:44 PM
Won't be paying.

The sneaky bastids.

Revenue owe me a not insignificant amount, it has been a battle that was only recently settled on the steps of the high court. I was hoping to get the money before the holidays, in fact we went back to court because of a delay in issuing the refund/costs and now they inform me that processing of that payment has been delayed because I have neglected to pay the Local Property Tax.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

lawnseed

Quote from: All of a Sludden on December 16, 2013, 11:46:17 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on March 21, 2012, 07:39:44 PM
Won't be paying.

The sneaky bastids.

Revenue owe me a not insignificant amount, it has been a battle that was only recently settled on the steps of the high court. I was hoping to get the money before the holidays, in fact we went back to court because of a delay in issuing the refund/costs and now they inform me that processing of that payment has been delayed because I have neglected to pay the Local Property Tax.
big bro... watching and waiting :(
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Leo on May 07, 2012, 10:48:00 PM
My daughter has a 4-bedroom house in Galway and is complaining about a household charge of €100.

And a rose by another name has lots and lots of nasty thorns! ;D
We all pay taxes, north and south, and when all is added up, we are just as badly off as you are.
I imagine that by now your daughter is paying considerably more than €100 annually in household charges and I presume she is also paying a refuse collection charge with water rates to come in 2015.
When domestic rates along with car tax and other forms of direct taxation were abolished in 1976, they were replaced by higher levels of income tax and raised rates of VAT across the board.
In other words, the government was replacing direct taxation as a means to bring in revenue with indirect methods of doing the same thing.
Its double whammy time for us now as bit by bit, the old levies are being re-introduced with no corresponding decrease in VAT, income tax etc.
Your household charges may be much higher than ours but that about as far as it goes. We pay lots more taxes on just about every thing you an think of.
I'd say the percentage of your income that goes in govt. taxes is no higher than mine.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Ulick

Quote from: Leo on May 07, 2012, 10:48:00 PM

For your £1200 you get your bins lifted, streets cleaned, recycling services, clean water supply, sewerage, leisure centers, community centres, sports facilities, play-parks, dog wardens, noise wardens, environmental services, building control and a place to go when you die.

For her €100, your daughter gets nothing.