Designing an iphone app

Started by 118cmal, September 13, 2010, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

118cmal

Anyone here any experience with designing an iphone app?

The Iceman

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Shamrock Shore

118cmal

Basically I have an idea which I think would make a great app, and which I think could potentially be worth a few bob. 

However, I have no experience of computer programming so I have no idea how to go about creating it.  I know exactly how I want my app to look, and have all the images I need for each screen.  I also have an idea for a couple of fun elements.  again, I know exactly how I want it all to look.

Do you know of any good programmes I could use to help me create it?

Leg End

I'm in the same boat. if it was easy in a step by step process I would attempt to make mine
we're here for a good time, not a long time

down6061689194

Search irish app developers.

And Large intrest free loan.

Seriously though search Irish App Developers. Number of good ones over here.

heganboy

I can put you in touch with a guy in fermanagh, with a good GAA pedigree who could help you. pm please...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Boycey

Quote from: heganboy on September 14, 2010, 02:40:04 AM
I can put you in touch with a guy in fermanagh, with a good GAA pedigree who could help you. pm please...

But his app was shite ;)

thebigfella

I could do it or provide you with a proposal.

TBH we will probably be too expensive for what you are looking to pay but if the idea is good there may be some negotiation on taking a % of revenue generated. Also I can also look at porting the app to other platforms if required, say Android or Blackberry.

If it's a GAA app though, I'm not interested. Too niche to make any serious money and most people who have approached me with GAA app ideas wanted our time for nothing.

118cmal

@Bigfella, what line of work are you in specifically?  Not a GAA related app at all.  Have you designed many apps previously?

The Iceman

In terms of applications to develop it you don't need any. You just need to write the code or someone who can.  You need a Mac though or some kind of hack to run Mac software on a PC - best to go with a Mac mini or something like that.  Have someone right it for you - shoot for a uni grad in need of work or work through some lads on here who know people who can help.  I can put you in touch with lads in the North who do it.  There is great money in it if you have the right idea - remember all you need to sell is convenience.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

118cmal

How much roughly do you think someone would charge for writing it?  As I've said, I'll be providing all the images and I know exactly how I want it to look etc.

The Iceman

Its hard to know what you would be charged without understanding the app. It isn't a website you are having designed. It depends on the complexity of the functions. Guys work for fixed fees or T&M. these prices range. I would reckon at least 25 an hour.

thebigfella

Quote from: 118cmal on September 14, 2010, 03:44:05 PM
@Bigfella, what line of work are you in specifically?  Not a GAA related app at all.  Have you designed many apps previously?

IT security (finance) but also have a small mobile OS development startup (suppose thats what you would call it now, since most stuff we are aiming for is enterprise tablet solutions and not phones as such).

As Iceman points out, without any understanding what it is you want to code it's hard to estimate the costs, but depending on whether you need a full time/part time resource, level of experience you would be looking at anything from 25 to 55 per hour.

My suggestion is try using this http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/ or something similar to prototype it on a different platform for now. If you think it's a goer, then you could get someone with the Objective C experience to make it run on IOS.

118cmal

Thanks very much lads.  Will try the appinventor and take it from there.