Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2023, 04:56:43 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 10, 2023, 03:26:33 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2023, 02:40:16 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 10, 2023, 12:24:10 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2023, 11:25:16 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 10, 2023, 10:49:19 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2023, 06:03:08 AM
The problem goes back a long time. The state was poor. Health and education were contracted out to religious orders. The Mater.  Some hospitals are still owned by religious orders.Sport depended on volunteers.

The state is ultra centralised. County councils have no power and no money. In other countries local authorities are responsible for sports infrastructure. Local taxes pay for swimming pools and  pitches. The FAI numbers look big because they are catching up with decades of the country doing things arseways.

I wouldn't be surprised if the final rugby concussion bill was in a similar ballpark.

Come on. The GAA got land from the free state others didn't. A tax was put on soccer and rugby tickets to fund GAA building of facilities. Berties government gave the GAA a billion. But they also were the first government to allow non GAA clubs access capital grants. How much are soccer and rugby players getting in grants from the taxpayer?

GAA facilities are not better because we are inherently better people than the soccer lads. They have been given unique help for over 100 years and soccer is getting organised enough to try and catch up
There is also a social class element to it. Rugby is a sport for well connected people. The GAA is the rural equivalent and is well networked . Soccer/Football is disadvantaged compared to the other 2. Also the ban shows how brutal the competition between the sports was. At the end of the day, whatever facilities are built will be for the use of Irish people who deserve decent facilities regardless of background.

You have changed tack slightly. The state made a concious decision to back one sports organisation over all others, and to an extent still do. You claimed the state was too poor to fund sport. They weren't- the problem was rule 42. Facilities were built but were not shared, which in hindsight was bonkers from an infrastructure perspective.

Soccer was badly run by it's top brass forever. Gobshites with no vision climbed to the top. Then Delaney, who was far from a fool, came in and started gettimg things done. We know how that ended. The new FAI seem clued in and playing catch up. But the obsession with English soccer hamstrings their ability to get their community to vote like the GAA en block
The state was too poor in the pre 60s. the Ban was extremely damaging. 
I remember going to GAA matches in the 80s. The state of infrastructure then was poor. A lot of grounds had to be modernised. I think Pairc ui Chaoimh is on its third iteration since 1960. Look at any old handball alley to see state of the art from the 1940s.
Politically, the IRFU and GAA are significantly ahead of the FAI. Loads of things have to change. The FAI is proposing to spread the cost over 15 years. This is a very good idea.

But the state found huge amounts of money for tbe GAA, it's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.
How much did the GAA get pre 1960?
I think that the FAI was less organised post 1960. One part of the difference in asset base between the IRFU and the GAA versus the FAI is the accumulation of investment over time.
This investment plan is about correcting that.

The land commsion gave the GAA tens of thousands of acres. Not wrong per say but no other sport was allowed access. How much was 15% on every single soccer and rugby ticket over 20 years?

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2023/06/10/irish-rugbys-player-contract-model-looking-more-attractive-by-the-day/

It's not just the bottom line that is attractive for players who ply a career in Ireland – a significant tax break at the end of a player's career is another incentive – but the welfare aspect of Irish player contracts in which Rugby Players Ireland (RPI) and its previous incarnation, the Irish Rugby Union Players' Association (IRUPA) played a pivotal role.
The first Irish rugby contracts borrowed from a standard employment one but much longer at 37 pages and full of dense legal text because they had to cover areas particular to professional rugby such as the IRFU commercial programme, how that works, anti-doping, player warranties and obligations, and the player's own personal sponsorship arrangements.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2023/06/13/rising-irish-stars-guided-by-ex-professional-fathers/

David Collins went to Anfield in 1988, eventually finding his feet at Oxford United. He only watches his son Nathan play in person; if he can't get to the match, he prefers to walk in the forest in St Catherine's Park near his home in Lucan.

"I find it frustrating," Collins senior told Off The Ball last year. "You only see little snippets. The commentary. It's a tough watch [on TV]. Doesn't do it for me."

Barry Ferguson's career was ended by a hip injury at 29. After a tour of English clubs, he returned to Ireland and played 174 games for Longford Town, Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers. An FAI employee, dating back to 2007, Mr Ferguson, like Mr Collins, has done most of the heavy lifting up to now.

"I'd imagine so," Nathan Collins agreed. "You probably don't really notice when you are young that you are being introduced to football so early. It is just one of those things, football is your whole life, you don't know much else other than football.

"I am pretty sure it is the same with Evan. I don't think it is a wrong thing or a bad thing, it is good for both of us that we have been introduced to the game so early, that we have experienced so much so far."

Capt Pat

The Dutch were outclassed by the Croats tonight. 4-2 after extra time. Hopefully the Dutch won't be any better when they face us.

seafoid

Republic of Ireland: Bazunu; Collins, Egan (c), Lenihan; Doherty, O'Dowda; Cullen, Molumby, Smallbone; Idah, Ferguson.

Troy Parrah used to be the next thing coming.

How many under 21s have been parachuted into the senior team?

markl121

weareros

seafoid

It's like a Division 2 match. Not as accurate as Division 1 . Greek corners exhibit 1.

markl121

Not terribly convinced by bazunu. Has already made a meal of a couple of saves (and one great save) but even on the penalty he telegraphed right away where he was going

square_ball

Quote from: markl121 on June 16, 2023, 08:04:11 PM
Not terribly convinced by bazunu. Has already made a meal of a couple of saves (and one great save) but even on the penalty he telegraphed right away where he was going

He didn't have a great season at all in the Premier League. Granted he is still young and looks to have potential.

seafoid

weareros

Ireland are an absolute shambles in defence. If Greece were more composed we'd be 4 or 5 down.