FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2023/05/17/shelbourne-boss-damien-duff-hits-out-at-lack-of-funding-for-training-facilities-in-ireland/

Duff also confirmed that Jack Moylan, Shels hat-trick hero in Sligo last Saturday, has become a target for UK clubs and he doubled down on the decrepit state of soccer facilities when compared to GAA grounds.

"I went out with my son to play against Kilcoole the other day and they had a better training ground than any League of Ireland club. I'm not sure if they own it but I was thinking something has gone wrong along the line here. Anyway, it's not like I'm harping on about it. That's what it'll feel like when I see the headlines. Here he f**king goes again. That's why I hate doing [press conferences]."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 06:12:29 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2023/05/17/shelbourne-boss-damien-duff-hits-out-at-lack-of-funding-for-training-facilities-in-ireland/

Duff also confirmed that Jack Moylan, Shels hat-trick hero in Sligo last Saturday, has become a target for UK clubs and he doubled down on the decrepit state of soccer facilities when compared to GAA grounds.

"I went out with my son to play against Kilcoole the other day and they had a better training ground than any League of Ireland club. I'm not sure if they own it but I was thinking something has gone wrong along the line here. Anyway, it's not like I'm harping on about it. That's what it'll feel like when I see the headlines. Here he f**king goes again. That's why I hate doing [press conferences]."

Is it just me or is Duff always complaining. 

His body language is always negative - during and after games.

Just my opinion.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: marty34 on May 17, 2023, 06:16:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 06:12:29 PM

Is it just me or is Duff always complaining. 

His body language is always negative - during and after games.

Just my opinion.

Completely. It's boring now. And considering he was involved in setting up Rovers facilities it's also patant nonsense. He knew Shels setup and infrastructure when he took the job. Whining about it now is tedious.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2023, 01:01:23 PM
Still begging from the Taxpayer

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/business-of-sport/arid-41130757.html

They aren't wrong on the betting tax. More money goes on soccer than horses, yet all 10m goes to horses and dogs, and the majority of that is (tax free) prize money, most of which goes to 5 well known owners. Add 1% and use the new revenue to build grassroot sport facilities

seafoid

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 18, 2023, 03:23:27 AM

They aren't wrong on the betting tax. More money goes on soccer than horses, yet all 10m goes to horses and dogs, and the majority of that is (tax free) prize money, most of which goes to 5 well known owners. Add 1% and use the new revenue to build grassroot sport facilities
Money spent on grassroots sports saves the Exchequer money down the line.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on May 18, 2023, 06:35:46 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 18, 2023, 03:23:27 AM

Money spent on grassroots sports saves the Exchequer money down the line.

Agreed. And there is a far better case for swimming pools and clubhouses than O'Leary getting a tax free winnings on the taxpayer

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2023/05/18/andrew-omobamidele-ruled-out-of-ireland-squad-ahead-of-summer-qualifiers/

The four-day camp for 22 players based in England, outside the Premier League, and a smattering of League of Ireland talent – including Shamrock Rovers winger Neil Farrugia – is to ensure that Stephen Kenny's team avoid a repeat of defeat to Armenia in Yerevan in June 2022. The six week gap from club to international matches was the main reason Kenny offered for losing 1-0 to a country ranked 92nd in the world by Fifa.

"The six-week break between the end of the Championship and our qualifier in Greece is something we have to navigate and make sure our preparations are planned well," said Kenny. "This training camp in Bristol for four days is essential before we travel to Turkey on June 5th for nine days ahead of our visit to Athens and we're looking forward to a good four days training and some sharp sessions."

Ireland training squad: Max O'Leary (Bristol City), James Talbot (Bohemians), Brian Maher (Derry City); Danny McNamara (Millwall), Callum O'Dowda (Cardiff City), James McClean (Wigan Athletic), Ryan Manning (Swansea City), John Egan (Sheffield United), Dara O'Shea (West Bromwich Albion), Sean McLoughlin (Hull City); Jayson Molumby (West Bromwich Albion), Josh Cullen (Burnley), Will Smallbone (Southampton), Mark Sykes (Bristol City), Neil Farrugia (Shamrock Rovers), Jason Knight (Derby County); Chiedozie Ogbene (Rotherham United), Tom Cannon (Everton), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Obafemi (Burnley), Adam Idah (Norwich City), Will Keane (Wigan Athletic).

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023/0608/1388047-fai-unveil-863m-wish-list-after-stark-facilities-audit/

The Football Association of Ireland have published their strategic analysis and vision for the next 15 years, in which the organisation says it requires €863 million to modernise facilities and standards in Ireland.

The report details the infrastructure needs of the sport, with the FAI admitting football has fallen behind the vast majority of Europe in terms of stadia and training facilities.

The €863m sought is over a 15-year period and focuses on the three core areas of grassroots (€426m), League of Ireland (€390m) and international (€47m), and with a proposed funding approach from both public and private sources.

The grassroots investment is for new pitches, upgrades to existing pitches, new and upgraded clubhouses and more multi-sport, community-focused facilities as well as the formation of eight new FAI grassroots regions.

The body say the particular concern at grassroots level is for women's and girls' football "which has experienced exponential growth in popularity but will suffer without investment in facilities, as they will not be able to cater for ongoing demand and growth".

In the report, every county is audited in terms of pitch facilities. Nearly 40% of pitches have temporary dressing-rooms or toilets.

Over 20% of clubs spend less than €1,000 on pitch maintenance per year.

Less than a quarter of shower facilities are 'female friendly' (individual cubicle), if even available.
The report also details Irish football's growing reliance on the League of Ireland, which now develops players from the age of Under-13 and often younger, compared to junior and intermediate clubs in the past.

The FAI say the investment would also support the development of talent in a post-Brexit environment as more young players remain in Ireland. Just 10% of the squad playing in the men's European Under-17 Championships, which Ireland qualified through to the knockout stages of, play their club football outside of Ireland.

There is also a need for bigger stadiums with many venues sold out on a regular basis as the league becomes more popular and the majority of grounds are currently not fit for purpose.

The report points out that of the 40 best stadiums in Ireland, just three host soccer matches.

The plan is for several phases, beginning with a basic 2,000 seater main stand in every LOI stadium before a minimum capacity of 4,000 at every stadium, scaling up to a possible 15,000 - 20,000 capacity for certain grounds based on the size of the club.

https://facilitiesstrategy.fai.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/FAI-Facility-Investment-Vision-and-Strategy-2023.pdf

Baile Brigín 2

Ambitious and no doubt an opening shot. But what struck me was 20% private funding. This is an organisation with no main sponsor. Where is this couple of hundred million coming from?

Itchy

A huge amount of soccer clubs in my area play on council grounds, theyve never got off their holes and done anything over the years. The club I am involved with has pitch, clubhouse, astro, lights etc all done by fundraising and grant application etc. The money has always been there but the soccer clubs "in general" have not had the brains or the energy to get stuff done. Lack of investment is their own fault. Then at the top you had one of the biggest gangsters in the country running the show. I wouldnt give them that sort of money until they have demonstrated sound governance for a number of years.

Also - any soccer club trying to get a penny of the FAI for anything will be disappointed, they give nothing to grass roots or their own league. Only interested in developing the elite in their COE groups around the country.

seafoid

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 08, 2023, 04:31:18 PM
Ambitious and no doubt an opening shot. But what struck me was 20% private funding. This is an organisation with no main sponsor. Where is this couple of hundred million coming from?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2023/06/08/fai-request-517-million-of-government-investment-over-15-years/
FAI request €517 million of Government investment over 15 years
Association asked to improve chronically outdated facilities across Ireland

Gavin Cummiskey
Thu Jun 8 2023 - 17:33

The Football Association of Ireland launched a full-court press on Thursday afternoon, requesting Government investment of €517 million over 15 years to improve chronically outdated facilities across the country.

To improve everything, from community club houses to League of Ireland stadiums and training grounds, even the embarrassingly poor set-up on the National Sports Campus in Abbotstown, the association also seeks philanthropic investment via a new, independent foundation.

The FAI's honorary life president Denis O'Brien previously paid the salaries of the men's senior managers Giovanni Trapattoni and Martin O'Neill.

But first call this week was to the current Irish Government, at a meeting attended by the Minister of State for sport Thomas Byrne. Targeted funds would not come from the sports pot alone, with the departments of finance, health and education also loosening purse strings to ensure that the basics enjoyed by rival European football nations, like girls' toilets and an additional 1,000 grass pitches, can exist by 2038.

"Our research clearly demonstrates that Irish football needs funding, both private and public, to transform our facilities and infrastructure," said Jonathan Hill, the FAI chief executive. "We believe football facilities in Ireland have been underinvested for the last 25 years and that we have fallen behind our European counterparts."

No one person should be blamed for the FAI's malaise, stressed Hill, before noting a dramatic reduction of the association's debt from €63.5 million to €44 million.

Learn more

"This isn't the fault of any single entity, but it is a simple fact."

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of the FAI's "facility investment vision and strategy" document is the finger pointing. Firstly, at themselves before highlighting the underfunding of sport by successive Irish governments, with high praise for how the GAA and the IRFU have gone about their business over the past 20 years.

Within the report, football's turnover of €54.3 million in 2022 pales in comparison to IRFU's €115.6 million and the GAA turnover of €96 million. The vast gap in how the Gaelic and rugby clubs "have performed extremely well in accessing funding" was laid out by the GAA receiving €431 million from the Sports Capital and Equipment programme since 2020, while the FAI received just €188 million.

FAI chairman Roy Barrett, who currently doubles as chairman of Sherry FitzGerald, repeated the stark warning he relayed to Government Ministers; the spike in population to over six million people by 2050 demands annual investment of €34.5 million from the exchequer to cater for demand.

Ideally, some of the €2.5 billion in additional corporate tax collected by the Government in 2023 would help to bring soccer stadiums and training centres out of the dark ages.

"There are significant surpluses and there will be next year," said Barrett. "The Government decides how it will spend those. It makes sense in any economy, when you have surpluses like that, to spend a chunk of it on improving infrastructure.

"We have lots of needs in this society, with the housing crisis, the housing needs, but we also have a sporting infrastructure deficit. I do believe putting money into facilities over the next 20 years is the prudent thing to do."

Comparisons to other European nations will be hard for politicians to stomach. The EU average expenditure on sport is 0.8 per cent but Ireland gives just 0.04 per cent, which ranks the current Government in between Malta and Bulgaria.

The overall investment required is €863 million split into three key areas – Grassroots (€426 million), the League of Ireland (€390 million) and enhancing international facilities at Abbotstown (€47 million) – with Government stumping up 60 per cent of this total.

The €34.5 million a year would come from six "funding vehicles," which includes the Shared Island Fund and Brexit adjustment reserve. The FAI will generate 20 per cent themselves, €173 million or €11.5 million annually, with help from Uefa and Fifa grants, and private investment. The final 20 per cent would come via local authorities, including the departments of Health and Education.

Revamping 20 League of Ireland stadiums needs an injection of €250 million over 15 years to get them up to basic Uefa standards. This is emphasised by just three football stadiums – the Aviva, Tallaght and Turner's Cross in Cork – being among the top 40 in Ireland in terms of capacity.

Ahead of next month's World Cup in Australia, Hill believes the growth of women's football "will suffer if we do not cater for facilities now".

The enormous overhaul of archaic facilities was described this week as "ambitious" by Minister Byrne, who added that "the appropriate level of sustained investment is a matter for careful consideration."

If the Government and a few soccer-loving, multimillionaire philanthropists play ball, work on pitches, stadiums and club academies can begin in 2024.

"The document is informed by the reality of our current situation so we believe the ask has been presented in the right way," said Hill. "Will we get the money? That's the reason we have put the plan together."

Where the money would be spent:
Grassroots - €426.4 million paid over 15 years (2024-38)

The reports highlights a lack of capacity, even at established clubs, "which means prospective players, especially women and girls, are turned away." Working off Uefa standards, Ireland is short 1,000 grass pitches to meet the demand of the projected population growth.

New and upgrades for 944 grass and artificial pitches: €126.4 million

Eight regional HQs: €48 million

32 community hubs/centres of excellence: €64 million

Clubhouses, changing rooms and floodlights: €188 million.

The League of Ireland - €390 million

Dalymount Park, Sligo Rovers proposed facility and Finn Harps Donegal stadium redevelopment would be top of the priority list as all three projects are "shovel ready."

20 academy and training centres: €140 million

Phase 1 - 10,000 capacity stadia x5; 7,000 capacity x5; 4,000 capacity x10 and new pitches, LED floodlights and big screen (2024-29): €130 million

Phases 2 – 10,000 capacity stadia x10 and 5,000 capacity stadia x10 (2029-34): €50 million

Phase 3 – 20,000 capacity stadia x10 and 6,000 capacity x5 (2034-38): €70 million

International facilities - €47 million

Report: "The current FAI national training centre is nowhere near the same standard of facilities at comparative European associations." There are no changing rooms for 18 international teams, local players and match officials. No medical facilities. No education facilities. "Very poor playing surfaces" and "zero security infrastructure to prevent the general public from gaining access to pitches."

National football centre building: €26 million

Fifa quality 4G pitches x3, with dome over one: €5.5 million

Fifa quality hybrid pitches x3: €3.5 million

Kit room, security and operating costs for 5-15 years: €12 million

seafoid

This is all political. The GAA received €431 million from the Sports Capital and Equipment programme since 2020, while the FAI received just €188 million according to the FAI's paper.
The state of most LoI  stadiums  is very poor considering how wealthy the country is. Hopefully the FAI can focus on infrastructure until it is delivered.

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on June 08, 2023, 06:07:11 PM
This is all political. The GAA received €431 million from the Sports Capital and Equipment programme since 2020, while the FAI received just €188 million according to the FAI's paper.
The state of most LoI  stadiums  is very poor considering how wealthy the country is. Hopefully the FAI can focus on infrastructure until it is delivered.

Their stadiums are a mess as they spend their money paying players when such payments are not feasible. Are FAI saying that the sports capital grant is biased to GAA? Total rubbish. To get significant sports capital grant or leader funding you need to either own your own grounds or have a long term lease. Most GAA clubs have this in place, many soccer clubs reliant on handouts from the council. FAI will do everything but look at themselves.