Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Quote from: armaghniac on January 13, 2023, 05:13:36 PM
Quote from: grounded on December 19, 2022, 11:11:28 AM
Does anybody run winter tyres? I moved to a very rural location a few years ago. Up to now haven't really been caught out by wintry weather, but last week was pretty dicey.

having two sets of tyres may not be needed in Ireland, but aiming for All Seasons rather than the first one the tyre place tries to sell you is a good plan IMHO.

I managed to pick up a cheap enough set of alloys on gumtree and buy a set of Bridgestone blizzac tyres of asda (they do tyres as well!). I think all in all was around £430. I have them on the wife's car now, so hopefully a bit safer running the child to school should the weather worsen.  There hasn't been the weather to really test them yet although the car actually feels significantly better in wet conditions. Will run them to mid March and then swap them back.
           I think for most places in Ireland as you say no need or perhaps all season's?

Aristo 60

I run two sets and also live semi rural. Never had so much as a spin with rear wheel drive over winter and thats on some long steep hills too. Recommended.

Jim Bob

I ordered a part from a dealer for my car at the beginning of February. It was paid for at that time.
To date the part has still not arrived. 3.5 months later. They say they have not got a date of delivery yet.
Anyone know what my rights are in this case? Want to go in there and demand my money back but fear they ll give me some gib about not being able to refund

paddyjohn

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 22, 2023, 11:29:27 PM
I ordered a part from a dealer for my car at the beginning of February. It was paid for at that time.
To date the part has still not arrived. 3.5 months later. They say they have not got a date of delivery yet.
Anyone know what my rights are in this case? Want to go in there and demand my money back but fear they ll give me some gib about not being able to refund

It's maybe went on backorder with the dealer. It's happens a lot. What part is it you need? didnyoubtry the internet?

TabClear

Quote from: paddyjohn on May 23, 2023, 11:26:53 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on May 22, 2023, 11:29:27 PM

It's maybe went on backorder with the dealer. It's happens a lot. What part is it you need? didnyoubtry the internet?

How did you pay? If by credit card you can go don the line of Section 75 claim with your bank and the money will be refunded back onto your card as a breach of contract. i.e. non-perfromance. I would tell the dealer you are going to do this first as if it is a bespoke part they might challenge it.

bennydorano

Yeah, buying on a credit card is extra insurance, got the fingers burned years ago paying for sonething on a debit card, any expensive purchase now initially goes on the credit card.

JimStynes

How often should you get an automatic gearbox serviced?

Rois

Quote from: JimStynes on May 23, 2023, 02:28:13 PM
I had to get a gearbox oil change at 40k miles just last week there. Along with the standard service and a few spark plugs, it cost me £660  :o

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on May 23, 2023, 10:23:03 PM
I had to get a gearbox oil change at 40k miles just last week there. Along with the standard service and a few spark plugs, it cost me £660  :o
Are you sure it wasn't liquid gold they were pouring in! That's a lot of cash for a service with no part changes.

markl121

gearbox oil is wile money. Depends what way they do it, supposedly the oil should be all removed before replacing which in a gearbox is awkward, the oil itself is also dear, its not in the same billboard as a standard oil change. 500 or so is the ballpark figure

paddyjohn

Quote from: Rois on May 23, 2023, 10:23:03 PM

With a dealer?

smort

Looking for an mot cancellation in the North. When is the best time to check the system? Thought it was 8 o'clock in the morning, but none available when I checked there

imtommygunn

statto

Quote from: smort on June 08, 2023, 08:15:34 AM
Looking for an mot cancellation in the North. When is the best time to check the system? Thought it was 8 o'clock in the morning, but none available when I checked there
In same boat, i went on last Saturday am at about 845 and was a load of ones on Saturday cookstown belfast etc but hadn't even got the car mot washed so didnt suit. 

Rois

Quote from: smort on June 08, 2023, 08:15:34 AM
Keep checking when you can all day.  I changed my appointment three times this week already, and eventually got an appointment for next week.  I got a midday appointment at Balmoral when I went on at lunch time.

Also, keep refreshing the page once you've accessed the site, as part of your 20 minute access - it can change minute to minute.