Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: square_ball on August 16, 2022, 07:05:35 PM
I was just at the petrol station and topped up the Adblue but the warning message is still showing after that.

Maybe takes a while to register in the system?

nrico2006

Will take a while for it to go, couple of days max.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AustinPowers

Could the cold temperatures  affect the handbrake?

Car seems sluggish this morning . Just wasn't able to get much  power when  accelerating . Thought it was just the cold  temperatures and not having done much driving over weekend

Drove it at lunchtime and the handbrake doesn't have the same  feel to it . It's lifting up , and  The car's not rolling forward or anything , but  I can't help thinking the freezing temperatures last night has  messed with it somehow ?

PS. I left handbrake up overnight. Might that be the problem?

Last Man

Quote from: AustinPowers on December 12, 2022, 01:57:10 PM

Car seems sluggish this morning . Just wasn't able to get much  power when  accelerating . Thought it was just the cold  temperatures and not having done much driving over weekend

Drove it at lunchtime and the handbrake doesn't have the same  feel to it . It's lifting up , and  The car's not rolling forward or anything , but  I can't help thinking the freezing temperatures last night has  messed with it somehow ?

One of your rear brake callipers is probably seized. You can take them off and free them sometimes but replacement is in the post.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Last Man on December 12, 2022, 03:31:41 PM

One of your rear brake callipers is probably seized. You can take them off and free them sometimes but replacement is in the post.

That's very good  of you  ;)

Nothing  to do with the cold temperatures then, you think?

Last Man

Quote from: AustinPowers on December 12, 2022, 06:10:58 PM
Quote from: Last Man on December 12, 2022, 03:31:41 PM

That's very good  of you  ;)

Nothing  to do with the cold temperatures then, you think?
😅 Not really. They can fail in the summer as well. Is one of your wheels hotter than the other after a decent drive. That will be the faulty one. Unless they are both foobarred but normally one goes first.

Keyser soze

If a caliper is seized the disc will be a nice shade of red after you have driven any distance, if that's the case wait until it properly cools and give the centre of the wheel a few hard bangs with a rubber mallet which might release the caliper.

As said above this may be only be a temporary fix and you may need a replacement caliper if the issue reoccurs.

grounded

Does anybody run winter tyres? I moved to a very rural location a few years ago. Up to now haven't really been caught out by wintry weather, but last week was pretty dicey.

square_ball

Anyone know my rights here. Bought a car, there was a problem with it at the time of sale which we weren't notified about. It was brought in a few times to diagnose then a follow up appointment. There was due to be another appointment to finally fix it which the dealer didn't arrange. The car has fallen out of the 6 month warranty and now they are refusing to look at the problem as it's outside the warranty period. What can I can do here? Get solicitors involved? Return the car even if it's bought under PCP?

armaghniac

Quote from: grounded on December 19, 2022, 11:11:28 AM
Does anybody run winter tyres? I moved to a very rural location a few years ago. Up to now haven't really been caught out by wintry weather, but last week was pretty dicey.

having two sets of tyres may not be needed in Ireland, but aiming for All Seasons rather than the first one the tyre place tries to sell you is a good plan IMHO.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Quote from: square_ball on January 13, 2023, 05:09:38 PM
Anyone know my rights here. Bought a car, there was a problem with it at the time of sale which we weren't notified about. It was brought in a few times to diagnose then a follow up appointment. There was due to be another appointment to finally fix it which the dealer didn't arrange. The car has fallen out of the 6 month warranty and now they are refusing to look at the problem as it's outside the warranty period. What can I can do here? Get solicitors involved? Return the car even if it's bought under PCP?
Kick up an almighty stink, threaten them with everything. Who's the dealer anyway? Is it Charles Hurst?

square_ball

Quote from: general_lee on January 13, 2023, 05:41:23 PM
Kick up an almighty stink, threaten them with everything. Who's the dealer anyway? Is it Charles Hurst?

How'd you guess?

Saffrongael

Quote from: square_ball on January 13, 2023, 05:44:08 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 13, 2023, 05:41:23 PM

How'd you guess?

Did you speak to the finance company about handing the car back ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

square_ball

Not yet. Only been dealing with the car dealer the past few days when the issue resurfaced again. I'd imagine I'll be taking a hit on it? It's 10 months since we got the car.

Saffrongael

Quote from: square_ball on January 13, 2023, 07:05:35 PM
Not yet. Only been dealing with the car dealer the past few days when the issue resurfaced again. I'd imagine I'll be taking a hit on it? It's 10 months since we got the car.

If you can prove the car was sold to you with a defect, might be hard, I believe you can walk away with no penalty. Others may be better versed. I was in kind of in a similar situation a year ago with a car from a dealer in Newtownards, sounds kind of identical situation, was as issue with the car, they were great in fairness, and the issue was still going on up to the 6 mth warranty date.

I said to them I was a bit concerned we were reaching the 6 month date, they said not to worry and they would keep at it as long as need be as the problem arose before the warranty was up.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come