Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrotherMore6592

You dont need to do the MOT wash underneath anymore , unless you live on a farm or rural and it's filthy?

marty34

Quote from: statto on June 08, 2023, 08:58:19 AM
Quote from: smort on June 08, 2023, 08:15:34 AM
Looking for an mot cancellation in the North. When is the best time to check the system? Thought it was 8 o'clock in the morning, but none available when I checked there
In same boat, i went on last Saturday am at about 845 and was a load of ones on Saturday cookstown belfast etc but hadn't even got the car mot washed so didnt suit.

Can you now do it online or do you have to ring in?

Saffrongael

Quote from: marty34 on June 08, 2023, 10:42:00 AM
Looking for an mot cancellation in the North. When is the best time to check the system? Thought it was 8 o'clock in the morning, but none available when I checked there
In same boat, i went on last Saturday am at about 845 and was a load of ones on Saturday cookstown belfast etc but hadn't even got the car mot washed so didnt suit.

Online on NI Direct
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

Been online for 2 or 3 years now. Ever since they shut DVLNI offices here and moved that to Wales.

marty34

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 08, 2023, 10:51:49 AM

Online on NI Direct

Thanks.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: marty34 on June 08, 2023, 12:13:49 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on June 08, 2023, 10:51:49 AM

Online on NI Direct

Thanks.

My advice would be to ring first thing each morning.

smort

Thanks for the advice. Had to check a few times during the morning, but then at lunchtime, a pile of appointments came on for this evening. Whether they were actual cancellations or just additional appointments, I don't know

statto

Quote from: smort on June 08, 2023, 03:29:18 PM
Thanks for the advice. Had to check a few times during the morning, but then at lunchtime, a pile of appointments came on for this evening. Whether they were actual cancellations or just additional appointments, I don't know

Was able to get 1 Saturday morning for cookstown

AustinPowers

A couple of   New (well, second hand) cars going to be needed  in  the family  over the next few weeks. 

Being limited  on knowledge of cars and  what to look for  when  looking at second hand cars...... I'm wondering if anyone has any tips  when going to  view cars?

Important things to ask , things to check for,  knowing when  to run for the  hills? etc....

Any tips appreciated

armaghniac

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 10, 2023, 06:07:51 PM
A couple of   New (well, second hand) cars going to be needed  in  the family  over the next few weeks. 

Being limited  on knowledge of cars and  what to look for  when  looking at second hand cars...... I'm wondering if anyone has any tips  when going to  view cars?

Important things to ask , things to check for,  knowing when  to run for the  hills? etc....

Any tips appreciated

Service history. Did the people change oil etc or not bother because the damage would only show up after they sold it to you.
I've not being in the used car market for a while, owing to increased affluence, but I always used get one of those used car magazines so that I knew the years of different models etc. Perhaps the Internet now does all this, but 2012s of some model might a quite a bit cheaper than 2013s because of some new engine introduced etc and it is always better to know such things.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Any tips appreciated
Do your homework before you go to look at anything. Always worth checking online forums specific to the model of car you're looking at. You can get an idea of any common faults etc. Honest John a good website to check. Check the recommended service intervals and make sure they've been adhered to. Likewise major stuff like chain, belt etc.

If buying private, run checks on the car for cat c, cat s etc as well as finance etc.

If you're buying a diesel, don't be afraid to ask who owned it before and what sort of journeys they were doing.

If you're viewing the car check for obvious signs of neglect. Some people genuinely don't care about their car and will treat it like shite its entire life - then when they go to sell get it valeted and take nice pictures that don't tell the full story. Look for scraped paintwork, grubby interior, curbed alloys etc. I think you can check the MOT history of a car which might expose some hidden issues.

Make sure the tyres are brand new or near to brand new. If buying private and the MOT isn't 12 months use this to haggle.

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on July 10, 2023, 06:43:18 PM

Make sure the tyres are brand new or near to brand new. If buying private and the MOT isn't 12 months use this to haggle.

I would not worry about somewhat used legal tyres of good quality, as they would show any uneven wear or the lack of it. Just factor in the cost of replacing the tyres. But I would run a mile from a yoke with new ditchfinder Chinese tyres, anyone who isn't willing to spend money on a safety aspect like tyres will not have maintained the car properly,  you'll have to change the tyres anyway if you value your family, and they probably changed the tyres because misaligned tracking or somesuch had worn the previous ones to shite.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rois

Quote from: armaghniac on July 10, 2023, 08:59:26 PM

I would not worry about somewhat used legal tyres of good quality, as they would show any uneven wear or the lack of it. Just factor in the cost of replacing the tyres. But I would run a mile from a yoke with new ditchfinder Chinese tyres, anyone who isn't willing to spend money on a safety aspect like tyres will not have maintained the car properly,  you'll have to change the tyres anyway if you value your family, and they probably changed the tyres because misaligned tracking or somesuch had worn the previous ones to shite.
That would be me! Had to do gearbox oil change, two new springs, two new tyres in the space of two months - not a racer so I bought the one up from cheapest tyres. Car cleaned me out, not that I haven't maintained it. You can't hide tyres!

AustinPowers

Any tips appreciated
Do your homework before you go to look at anything. Always worth checking online forums specific to the model of car you're looking at. You can get an idea of any common faults etc. Honest John a good website to check. Check the recommended service intervals and make sure they've been adhered to. Likewise major stuff like chain, belt etc.

If buying private, run checks on the car for cat c, cat s etc as well as finance etc.

If you're buying a diesel, don't be afraid to ask who owned it before and what sort of journeys they were doing.

If you're viewing the car check for obvious signs of neglect. Some people genuinely don't care about their car and will treat it like shite its entire life - then when they go to sell get it valeted and take nice pictures that don't tell the full story. Look for scraped paintwork, grubby interior, curbed alloys etc. I think you can check the MOT history of a car which might expose some hidden issues.

Yes just discovered  that lately .

Some good tips , thanks

Jim Bob

The previous 2 MOTs of my friends-car (before he purchased it) had the odemeter set to KM but the certificate has the reading in miles.
When he bought the car he set the car to MILES for the latest MOT and the now mileage obviously is less than before(according to the certificates)  Is he able to get the previous readings change to the proper mileage does anyone know?