Co. Board/Garvaghey/Harte etc (A thread for Thebigdog & southtyronegael)

Started by Snapchap, November 28, 2017, 09:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thebigdog

Matty Donnelly is no Captain I can tell you that. Very poor for Tyrone this year. It just goes to show how petty and spiteful Harte is when the only man for the job is totally overlooked because he talked to RTE. Nasty behaviour yet again.

square_ball

Quote from: Thebigdog on December 21, 2017, 09:30:18 PM
Matty Donnelly is no Captain I can tell you that. Very poor for Tyrone this year. It just goes to show how petty and spiteful Harte is when the only man for the job is totally overlooked because he talked to RTE. Nasty behaviour yet again.

I know you're right I think he should have gone with the player that's captained his club to an unlikely O'Neill Cup success. Oh wait. . . .

Good choice by Mickey anyway. Donnelly is a quality player and being captain of his county could potentially make him even better. Also a good example to young lads who aren't good enough initially - go back to your club, work hard on your own development, take responsibility for why you're not getting on and come back a far better player.

longballin

Thats harsh on Mattie tho I thought Petie would also have been in the frame.

Thebigdog

Quote from: square_ball on December 21, 2017, 11:37:16 PM

I know you're right I think he should have gone with the player that's captained his club to an unlikely O'Neill Cup success. Oh wait. . . .

Good choice by Mickey anyway. Donnelly is a quality player and being captain of his county could potentially make him even better. Also a good example to young lads who aren't good enough initially - go back to your club, work hard on your own development, take responsibility for why you're not getting on and come back a far better player.
I think Matty Donnelly was good enough initially but declined an invitation into the Tyrone squad back in the early years of this decade...but sure don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. All the captain's of Tyrone in the past have been an inspiration to those players around them. Donnelly is ildiscciplined and his decision making on the pitch is poor at times. Although in fairness to Donnelly the brand of football Harte has Tyrone playing it's very hard to tell who's a good footballer and who isn't. Pure and utter scutter.

redhandefender

Quote from: Thebigdog on December 22, 2017, 04:23:34 AM

I think Matty Donnelly was good enough initially but declined an invitation into the Tyrone squad back in the early years of this decade...but sure don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. All the captain's of Tyrone in the past have been an inspiration to those players around them. Donnelly is ildiscciplined and his decision making on the pitch is poor at times. Although in fairness to Donnelly the brand of football Harte has Tyrone playing it's very hard to tell who's a good footballer and who isn't. Pure and utter scutter.

How can someone be that put out by who is made captain? I think if you took a straw poll it would have been between Donnelly, Cavanagh and Harte. We don't really know what goes on behind the scenes but from speaking to Trillick boys he is a real leader in training and on the field so I gather that is why he is captain.

He had a poor year last year but he won 2 allstars the pprevious years, can't understand why you are so put out by this unless some personal gripe

square_ball

He probably didn't say hello to him in Sally's one night.

Tyroneforsam

He was on the panel initially but took the decision to step to one side as he felt he wasn't physically strong enough to be there. Fair play to him, he worked on that and is definitely strong enough now. What a gobshite you are big dog/southtyronegael!

Thebigdog

Quote from: Tyroneforsam on December 22, 2017, 04:07:41 PM

He was on the panel initially but took the decision to step to one side as he felt he wasn't physically strong enough to be there. Fair play to him, he worked on that and is definitely strong enough now. What a gobshite you are big dog/southtyronegael!
Hold on dickhead you said he wasn't getting on so he left the panel. Donnelly wasn't in the squad so how the hell could he get on? Clown

Tyroneforsam

Quote from: Thebigdog on December 22, 2017, 10:33:12 PM
Quote from: Tyroneforsam on December 22, 2017, 04:07:41 PM

Hold on d**khead you said he wasn't getting on so he left the panel. Donnelly wasn't in the squad so how the hell could he get on? Clown

This is my first comment on Donnelly's captaincy you eejit! I was stating facts not stirring shite like you constantly do on the tyrone threads! Sad individual!!!

Thebigdog

Tyrone senior football team annual schedule - January - train like dogs and win the Dr McKenna cup(while the big counties are a way in a nice beach in the West Indies)  February/March- An indifferent league were the failure to beat any of the big teams doesn't bode well.         Summertime- Due too panic by senior management that the team supposedly can't compete with Dublin/Mayo/ Kerry the blanket has been introduced from the cupboard. Plan A gets us to Croke park in August.....Once plan A is copped onto the team has been found out and a spectacular embarrassment at the hands of the big three awaits. REPEAT every year the year after.

Thebigdog

Please also note, do not let the introduction of a new 'forwards' coach fool you into believing things will be any different in our style of play. The re-introduction of the red shorts has to be welcomed (were not f**king Kildare). This also has given folk a sense of change, this is also phoney.

cynic

By common consent, perhaps only 3 players in the running for captaincy - Harte, Donnelly, C Cavanagh.  A good captain has to be able to read people and communicate with people, not just be a good player.  Cavanagh is an excellent player, but three factors are against him: (1) he plays a high-energy style and is getting on.  Harte likes to get a few years out of his captains.  Cavanagh is getting to the end of his playing years.  (2) He has a short fuse.  More so than the other two and can always be guaranteed to pick up a card.  Saying that Donnelly should not have been capt for "ill discipline" and then opting for the short-tempered CK as some kind of level-headed saint is comical.  CK has one of the poorer discipline records on the Tyrone team.  I've seen Sean Cavanagh wrestling him away from incidents in games, realising that his younger brother was going to get booked.  (3) He's an introvert, not a natural communicator or someone who would naturally get onto other's players' wavelengths.  In that regard, he's the opposite of his outgoing and personable older brother.  There's more to motivating others than just playing well.  A good capt is a mix of football skills and people skills.  Donnelly is a fanatic about football and winning and comes from a long line of great football people who live for the game, and he's a pleasant lad off the pitch.  Obviously, as a mere 2 times all star, AI minor winner and O'Neill cup winner, he wouldn't be a good enough footballer to get onto bigdog's club or county team, but most rational people who don't have an axe to grind will accept that he's a good all round choice for the position.  So would Harte, obviously, but you can imagine the stick MH would have got if Peter had been appointed.  Cavanagh is a good player, and I wish that he was 6 years younger so we'd get more of him, but for the reasons outlined, despite his great on-field attitude, skills and energy, I don't see him as 100% capt material. 

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: cynic on January 07, 2018, 03:49:18 PM
By common consent, perhaps only 3 players in the running for captaincy - Harte, Donnelly, C Cavanagh.  A good captain has to be able to read people and communicate with people, not just be a good player.  Cavanagh is an excellent player, but three factors are against him: (1) he plays a high-energy style and is getting on.  Harte likes to get a few years out of his captains.  Cavanagh is getting to the end of his playing years.  (2) He has a short fuse.  More so than the other two and can always be guaranteed to pick up a card.  Saying that Donnelly should not have been capt for "ill discipline" and then opting for the short-tempered CK as some kind of level-headed saint is comical.  CK has one of the poorer discipline records on the Tyrone team.  I've seen Sean Cavanagh wrestling him away from incidents in games, realising that his younger brother was going to get booked.  (3) He's an introvert, not a natural communicator or someone who would naturally get onto other's players' wavelengths.  In that regard, he's the opposite of his outgoing and personable older brother.  There's more to motivating others than just playing well.  A good capt is a mix of football skills and people skills.  Donnelly is a fanatic about football and winning and comes from a long line of great football people who live for the game, and he's a pleasant lad off the pitch.  Obviously, as a mere 2 times all star, AI minor winner and O'Neill cup winner, he wouldn't be a good enough footballer to get onto bigdog's club or county team, but most rational people who don't have an axe to grind will accept that he's a good all round choice for the position.  So would Harte, obviously, but you can imagine the stick MH would have got if Peter had been appointed.  Cavanagh is a good player, and I wish that he was 6 years younger so we'd get more of him, but for the reasons outlined, despite his great on-field attitude, skills and energy, I don't see him as 100% capt material.

I will never get the time back I spent reading this dribble!! How unfortunate.

Has Colm Cavanagh turned 30 yet? I wouldn't class him as on the road out. His discipline is exceptional and maybe a flaw that could have been leveled at him in his younger days but I actually can't remember him seeing red or black. He isn't as media savvy as Sean a fair point but on the pitch I see him organising players and ensuring everyone is working.

I don't feel MD is a bad candidate for captain, I just felt Colm was stronger from the outside looking in.

Was at today's game and if Richie Donnelly plays many games for Tyrone this year I will be amazed, he was so bad today and looked well of the pace. He has bulked up but can't carry it the way Mattie can.
Living the dream!!!

Thebigdog

What a terrible advert for Gaelic football Mickey Harte and Rory Gallagher promote. I wonder what masterful advice Stephen o Neill will have for Tyrone's one man forward line when their are four Dublin defenders around him come high summer? Lol what a joke Tyrone are really becoming. Three more years!... Three more years!

Jayop

Didn't Tyrone just play against Dublin leaving two men up and an actual genuine half forward line only this weekend?