Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Targetman

I don't know who places bets on the likes of this but Eddie Howe is now favourite to be the next manager, apparently he's staying in the Radison in Glasgow, the rumour mill's never wrong!!!

John Egans left boot

Quote from: Targetman on March 27, 2021, 07:22:15 PM
I don't know who places bets on the likes of this but Eddie Howe is now favourite to be the next manager, apparently he's staying in the Radison in Glasgow, the rumour mill's never wrong!!!

Well then don't bet anything if that's the case. Celtic put up incoming players  and guests at the city's blythswood square hotel by Kimpton

JimStynes

Quote from: Itchy on March 27, 2021, 06:48:57 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on March 27, 2021, 04:04:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2021, 03:59:38 PM
I seen Keane live as well, many times. In my eyes Keane was better, it's just opinions though

Exactly. All about opinions. Imo I'd have Stevie G and Lampard above Keane too. Different type of players though, they were more attacking than Keane.

You've lost all credibility there for me writing that nonsense.

It's not an unheard of opinion either. Plenty of opinion polls out there that have the above views as well.

JimStynes

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Angelo on March 27, 2021, 05:18:14 PM
Look it is getting sidetracked here.

I'll have the final word as I'm the most qualified here to speak on these matters and then we can move on.

Keane was a very good midfielder but his standing in the game was definitely overstated, a key part in a great team under Ferguson - a bit of a mix internationally and a bit of a mixed bag in the Champions League. Definitely one of the top 5 midfielders in the EPL in his time.

But it was the EPL guys, a lot of you are EPL fanatics. I see it on this thread a lot, as soon as I rightly point out that Everton and West Ham are not big clubs some of you become emotional, very defensive and aggressively attack the poster because you can't dispute the message.

The reality is, Roy Keane played 14 years in the EPL.

There were two English winners in that time and the two EPL winners were by far and away the biggest fluke winners of all time. Liverpool won one on penalties when they should have been spanked 4-0, Man Utd scrambled a couple of jammy goals over the line from set plays in injury time. Bar that no other English club played in a CL final bar Arsenal and Keane had played his last game of football by the time that game had concluded.

In that time period, in terms of CL final appearances it was:

Milan 5 (2)
Juventus 4 (1)
Madrid 3 (3)
Ajax 2 (1)
Bayern 2 (1)
Valencia 2 (0)
Barcelona 2 (1)
Dortmund 1 (1)
Marseille 1 (1)
Porto 1 (1)
Liverpool 1 (1)
Monaco 1 (0)
Arsenal 1 (0)
Leverkusen 1 (0)

So in effect you had:

Spanish winners 4  Spanish finalists 7
Italian winners 3 Italian finalists 9
German winners 2 German finalists 4
English winners 2 English finalists 3
Dutch winners 1 Dutch finalists 2
French winners 1 French finalists 2
Portuguese winner 1 Portuguese finalists 1

Now the EPL was finally beginning to improve in standard when Keane was at the tail end of his career.

It's safe to say that Keane is very romantically viewed on this island and in England. The reality is the standard of English football at the time of his career there was fairly average to be polite. Big money started to come in just as he was leaving and the quality of player and manager entering the league improved dramatically.

Some of you guys are fanatics about English football and fail to look at this objectively but that is conclusive and we should park this debate right here at that.

The 2nd line definitely the best part of my day by a mile!😅👏🏻

Louther

Absolute top quality banter and parody. How anyone can take him beyond a seriously committed WUM is becoming clearer. He throws in a banger like this every now and again to remind us. You can easily get engaged with him.

A mix of Stephen Nolan, Richard Keyes and Joe Brolly.

Louther

Oh and it looks like Eddie Howe, didn't one of the Celtic players let it slip while playing online games? The young fella Laxalt?

Angelo

I see Jermain Defoe has said Rangers are a bigger club than Spurs.

That will rile a few of the EPL fanatics on here.

QuoteThe England captain, 27, could end his 17-year affiliation with Tottenham if Jose Mourinho's men fail to win a trophy and don't finish in the top four this season.

And Defoe, who regrets not joining a 'big club' like Rangers sooner, has cast doubt on Kane's future.

The Gers striker told Darren Bent's Boot Room on talkSPORT: "If you'd have asked me this question a few years ago, I'd have said he should have stayed there, what he's done at the football club – he's a legend.

"Since I've come away from that and gone to Rangers, I've seen that mentality and played for another big club, the importance of playing for that club and winning every game, that mentality, the standards and demands.

"You have to win and bring silverware, otherwise it's not good enough. When you actually achieve that and the feeling you get from that, wow man. I wish I had that earlier on in my career.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

The new CL format proposed from 2024 could be a big boost for Celtic/Rangers and other big clubs from the lesser leagues across Europe.

Qualification would mean a minimum of 10 games and would mean more financial power and prestige which should make them able to acquire players.

It's going to a 36 team competition from then on so 4 extra places, hopefully these extra spots are given to domestic champions rather than best placed teams from the bigger leagues. Could be vital for recalibrating the financial power across Europe.

The bottom placed team in the EPL has spent more money than a lot of top European clubs in the past 2 seasons.

Angelo

Lucien Favre throws his name into the hat.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lucien-favre-interested-celtic-manager-23819120

Embarrassing for the chap who want to pretend the likes of Keane, Lennon or Kennedy are acceptable appointments.

Big name managers will be interested in a job at the club of Celtic's stature so there is no reason why we should be looking at Nottingham Forest's assistant manager.

Itchy

Quote from: Angelo on March 30, 2021, 12:40:19 PM

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lucien-favre-interested-celtic-manager-23819120

Embarrassing for the chap who want to pretend the likes of Keane, Lennon or Kennedy are acceptable appointments.

Big name managers will be interested in a job at the club of Celtic's stature so there is no reason why we should be looking at Nottingham Forest's assistant manager.

I can say I am truly embarrassed. I see he has entered the race alright and the bookies have him at 66-1

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/manager-specials/celtic/next-permanent-manager

Angelo

Quote from: Itchy on March 31, 2021, 10:15:59 AM

I can say I am truly embarrassed. I see he has entered the race alright and the bookies have him at 66-1

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/manager-specials/celtic/next-permanent-manager

He's interested but Celtic would rather appoint a chump.

The issue is that fans seem happy to justify us appointing lads that were sacked at Bolton and Hibs for the job as big managers would not be interested. That is nonsense, Lennon was not appointed because he was the best candidate available, he was appointed as he was a cheap option yes man who Lawwell knew he could control.

Keane would be a case of Desmond appointing one of his heroes even though he hasn't managed in a decade, his last job in football was as an assistant manager at a Championship club, has a poor record  in management and is combustible hothead who will walk away when things get rocky.

Kennedy is a case of another Lennon type yes man appointment.

Big managers are interested in taking on the Celtic job. Are Celtic interested in appointing a big name manager who might have ambitions and expectations of being backed with the right resources, who will want the best players retained ? That's the issue.

Celtic are still a big draw but the lack of ambition from the board is the issue. People who are spinning another narrative need to wake up and see this.

trailer

It's the Celtic job ffs. A level above Crawley or Morecambe. Sure Oran Kearney got the St Mirren Job one time. No big names are looking at that job. No matter what Celtic's deluded fans think. And what's more, a drunken sailor could manage Celtic to win that league. Celtic are the only team in it and still shit the togs this year. They came second in a one horse race.

Armagh18

Quote from: Angelo on March 31, 2021, 10:23:00 AM

He's interested but Celtic would rather appoint a chump.

The issue is that fans seem happy to justify us appointing lads that were sacked at Bolton and Hibs for the job as big managers would not be interested. That is nonsense, Lennon was not appointed because he was the best candidate available, he was appointed as he was a cheap option yes man who Lawwell knew he could control.

Keane would be a case of Desmond appointing one of his heroes even though he hasn't managed in a decade, his last job in football was as an assistant manager at a Championship club, has a poor record  in management and is combustible hothead who will walk away when things get rocky.

Kennedy is a case of another Lennon type yes man appointment.

Big managers are interested in taking on the Celtic job. Are Celtic interested in appointing a big name manager who might have ambitions and expectations of being backed with the right resources, who will want the best players retained ? That's the issue.

Celtic are still a big draw but the lack of ambition from the board is the issue. People who are spinning another narrative need to wake up and see this.
If Stephen Kenny were to get the road what would peoples thoughts be on him going to Celtic?

trailer

Unless you mean a big name literally like Paul Heckingbottom or Quique Sánchez Flores?