Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Quote from: marty34 on January 22, 2021, 07:14:29 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on January 22, 2021, 06:46:11 PM
Quote from: delgany on January 22, 2021, 05:46:02 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 22, 2021, 12:43:25 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on January 22, 2021, 11:51:28 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on January 22, 2021, 09:31:01 AM
Itchy can't do the Home schooling Maths....too hard for him..

His babysitting service has been stopped. Its no more complicated than that

Another know it all that knows nothing. My wife works from home and her business is now ruined because of covid. So I dont need a baby sitter. Do you ever get tired of talking shite. Earlier in the week you were telling me how things work in my work place and now you are telling me my baby sitting arrangements. Another little fool who knows nothing about anything. People have lost their livelihoods yet these people think they have a god given right to sit at home and pretend they can do their jobs properly from there when half of them can barely turn on a pc. They tell us they are more at risk than other groups when they are not and they expect full pay and no doubt a pay rise too. They also expect a magical dept of education fairy to fix up all their schools for them.
The kids, with and without special needs  can just f**k off. Greedy and selfish people, two of the most ugly traits you can have.

Little query for  ye
Who do you think is responsible for the maintenance and up keep of school buildings ?
And for your information, the whole Education Authority Maintenance Contract situation is a complete and utter RIP off job by the private contractors ! Private Financing Initiative - another joke - school mortgaged for millions of pounds a year !

Correct...a total horror story...it's a wonder why it hasn't been exposed...costing schools thousands every year out of their budget which could otherwise be spent on books and equipment for pupils.

You think principals/BOG would be allowed to get a local contractor in to sort issues under a certain amount of money.

The way it is now is a rip off.

Talk about the educational system etc. In crisis - waffle to me if they can afford to get someone to fix a window at X amount of money when it could be sorted for a quarter of that price.

Strangely - it's all to do with the EU  competition controls ... be interesting to see what happens next !
60% of the Education budget goes directly to schools. 40% is eaten up by special needs support, transport, maintenance, DENi, EA, CCMS  etc etc .
E.g
Two contractors control the entire maintenance Contract in South East Area . They then subcontract in other companies to do the work !

Jim Bob

Quote from: marty34 on January 22, 2021, 07:14:29 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on January 22, 2021, 06:46:11 PM
Quote from: delgany on January 22, 2021, 05:46:02 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 22, 2021, 12:43:25 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on January 22, 2021, 11:51:28 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on January 22, 2021, 09:31:01 AM
Itchy can't do the Home schooling Maths....too hard for him..

His babysitting service has been stopped. Its no more complicated than that

Another know it all that knows nothing. My wife works from home and her business is now ruined because of covid. So I dont need a baby sitter. Do you ever get tired of talking shite. Earlier in the week you were telling me how things work in my work place and now you are telling me my baby sitting arrangements. Another little fool who knows nothing about anything. People have lost their livelihoods yet these people think they have a god given right to sit at home and pretend they can do their jobs properly from there when half of them can barely turn on a pc. They tell us they are more at risk than other groups when they are not and they expect full pay and no doubt a pay rise too. They also expect a magical dept of education fairy to fix up all their schools for them.
The kids, with and without special needs  can just f**k off. Greedy and selfish people, two of the most ugly traits you can have.

Little query for  ye
Who do you think is responsible for the maintenance and up keep of school buildings ?
And for your information, the whole Education Authority Maintenance Contract situation is a complete and utter RIP off job by the private contractors ! Private Financing Initiative - another joke - school mortgaged for millions of pounds a year !

Correct...a total horror story...it's a wonder why it hasn't been exposed...costing schools thousands every year out of their budget which could otherwise be spent on books and equipment for pupils.

You think principals/BOG would be allowed to get a local contractor in to sort issues under a certain amount of money.

The way it is now is a rip off.

Talk about the educational system etc. In crisis - waffle to me if they can afford to get someone to fix a window at X amount of money when it could be sorted for a quarter of that price.

This doesn't apply to grammar schools though fir some reason...they can do their own shopping. Poor secondaries and primaries have no choice ...go with the board contractor or you don't get the job done... 

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: delgany on January 22, 2021, 07:58:24 PM
Strangely - it's all to do with the EU  competition controls ... be interesting to see what happens next !

Unless those competition controls also existed in the mid-90s when Nimbus was ripping the arse off them...
i usse an speelchekor

Kidder81

It's hardly confined to schools, it's public sector wide. £200 to fit a lock etc

JimStynes

I got a mate to put up a few wall display boards for £20. We supplied the wood etc. After a few days I was told they need to be taken down as they weren't insured. The EA employed someone to do and it cost a few hundred quid and a couple of weeks to get someone to do it  it was my mate doing the work again. We had to buy the supplies they recommend and my mate got paid well over the odds. I got a real eye opener that day

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

ONeill

Quote from: JimStynes on January 22, 2021, 11:23:05 PM
I got a mate to put up a few wall display boards for £20. We supplied the wood etc. After a few days I was told they need to be taken down as they weren't insured. The EA employed someone to do and it cost a few hundred quid and a couple of weeks to get someone to do it  it was my mate doing the work again. We had to buy the supplies they recommend and my mate got paid well over the odds. I got a real eye opener that day

What's a wall display?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

marty34

Quote from: JimStynes on January 22, 2021, 11:23:05 PM

Thats unreal Jim, but not surprisingly.

If replicated all over the schools' estate, that'd be some saving.

Are the schools not insured regardless i.e. public liability as loads of people in and out on a daily basis?

Jim Bob

We needed a new floor in our school hall.. we asked the local contractor just to to price it even though he could only do it if directed by the board contractor. He eventually completed the job through the board contractor but the price was £1200 more than if he had done the job himself.

JimStynes

Even things like stationary is a 1/4 of the price in the local stationary shop. Whoever gets the contracts from the EA must be laughing

Kidder81

Quote from: JimStynes on January 24, 2021, 09:38:41 AM
Even things like stationary is a 1/4 of the price in the local stationary shop. Whoever gets the contracts from the EA must be laughing

As I said Jim it's public service wide, you are paying for the service (over the odds as it is) as much as the actual work

marty34

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 24, 2021, 09:49:27 AM

As I said Jim it's public service wide, you are paying for the service (over the odds as it is) as much as the actual work

How can that be justified?

JimStynes

It's the same with C2K and laptops, we pay well over the odds but at least I can see the security services, tech support etc that they provide us with. The C2k argument is for another day though.

delgany

Quote from: marty34 on January 24, 2021, 11:25:01 AM

EU competition directives

marty34

Quote from: delgany on January 24, 2021, 01:08:39 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 24, 2021, 11:25:01 AM

EU competition directives

And after Brexit?