Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2020, 02:42:30 PM
Yip, secondary school teachers tend to be very hard working and generally they're dead on too.

The boys secondary shools in Derry have a very very poor record unfortunately but I imagine the performance is badly affected by very high levels of social deprivation

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2020, 07:08:25 PM
Yeah, in my experience, teachers in boys' secondary schools don't tend to work as hard as teachers in girls' secondary schools although they are undoubtedly more dead on.

Ffs I need to come off this thread , read that wrong, sorry lad , I'm assuming you are a teacher, sound man too btw

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 21, 2020, 07:16:41 PM
Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2020, 07:08:25 PM
Yeah, in my experience, teachers in boys' secondary schools don't tend to work as hard as teachers in girls' secondary schools although they are undoubtedly more dead on.

Ffs I need to come off this thread , read that wrong, sorry lad , I'm assuming you are a teacher, sound man too btw

You probably should. And is he, on both accounts.

Quote from: gallsman on December 20, 2020, 01:54:38 PM
Quote from: hardstation on December 20, 2020, 11:18:46 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on December 20, 2020, 11:11:50 AM
Quote from: hardstation on December 20, 2020, 11:00:19 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on December 20, 2020, 10:53:11 AM
Also back to my original question, why is Weir all for the transfer if it is more beneficial for these Catholic grammars?
The transfer test(s) isn't a Catholic/Protestant thing.

Both sides do the tests to get into grammar schools.

Yes, but why are Weir and DUP pro transfer test?
Lots of people are, for numerous reasons.
For Weir & the DUP - it is likely a class thing.

Because themmuns are agin it is my best guess.

No,  hardstation is right. It's a class thing. For all sides.

FermGael

Always has been a class thing.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Milltown Row2

Quote from: FermGael on December 21, 2020, 08:11:54 PM

So all the kids that did the transfer test that went to St Finians primary school on the Falls rd (when I did it 1981) without a pot to piss in, holes in their shoes, done it, passed (3/4of them) and went to grammar school because it was a class thing?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

FermGael

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2020, 08:40:30 PM
They did that because it was the only system available to them. They weren't implementing the system.

Exactly
Now it's a private company who administers the test.
Tutoring happened back then as well but not to the extent it does now.
By making it this type of test you are basically guaranteeing that those who can afford to have their children tutored will get the better grades.
Imagine, just for a minute , we implemented a system for GCSEs like this one ? There would be uproar.

Milltown Row2

They did that because it was the only system available to them. They weren't implementing the system.

Didn't have to do it.. parents struggled to put kids through a grammar school, it was more expensive than a secondary school. So the system was do it or not. Two lads in my class didn't, we'd no idea at the time why.

I don't know anyone who was tutored in my day, not saying it wasn't
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Hard to find tutors of Latin in Belfast then.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 21, 2020, 08:18:07 PM

So all the kids that did the transfer test that went to St Finians primary school on the Falls rd (when I did it 1981) without a pot to piss in, holes in their shoes, done it, passed (3/4of them) and went to grammar school because it was a class thing?

Talk us through the intake profile then. Not just Free School Meals entitlement. Look at MDM too.

Of course it's class based.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on December 21, 2020, 09:30:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 21, 2020, 08:18:07 PM

Talk us through the intake profile then. Not just Free School Meals entitlement. Look at MDM too.

Of course it's class based.

Does it put you up a class doing the transfer test?

FermGael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 21, 2020, 09:22:09 PM

Didn't have to do it.. parents struggled to put kids through a grammar school, it was more expensive than a secondary school. So the system was do it or not. Two lads in my class didn't, we'd no idea at the time why.

What about now ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: FermGael on December 21, 2020, 10:00:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 21, 2020, 09:22:09 PM

What about now ?

They are, my wife tutored for years, it's done at gcse and A level also

FermGael

It is done at GCSE and A Level. No doubt .

But many pupils get their GCSEs without it as well
I don't think thats the case with the current 11 plus . 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: FermGael on December 21, 2020, 10:45:33 PM
It is done at GCSE and A Level. No doubt .

But many pupils get their GCSEs without it as well
I don't think thats the case with the current 11 plus .

Rubbish, my two kids and friends kids weren't tutored... I'm sure there are plenty that aren't..

The problem lies when the bar is raised, the 11 plus isn't the same as the today's. Natural it needed to become a tougher exam. Kids got tutored. It's not life and death that people make out