Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

I think you expected a 50% return in September and you were wrong
To many on here saying the same
You do realise full attendance schools have to return for the economy to restart. Without schools returning the economy simply doesn't work

FermGael

Full classes with 1 meter social distancing.
Not a chance.
Some people must reckon that the average class has about 15 pupils in them.  Most are nearer 30.

Teachers back in on the 17th.
Year 8, 12 and 14 in on the 24th.
Rest the week after
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

JimStynes

And it would be much easier having a full class. It would be a complete pain trying to send work home to half the class and teach the other half. If they're all there then parents can chose to send them in or not.

johnnycool

Quote from: delgany on June 18, 2020, 11:02:44 AM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 18, 2020, 10:35:37 AM
And why can't we make an exception regarding social distancing with the confines of a school?
Every single kid should be back at school by September whether social distancing is 2 metres 1 metre or 0.5 regardless
That's what has to happen and I think it will
Come October I would be shocked absolutely shocked if emery school child was not back
Shocked
And they will be

So you are accepting that there is likely to be a phased start to school in September , with things ramping up to full attendance by October.

You should drop Peter Weir an email to confirm that

In fairness my mate's a VP of a primary in West Belfast who had a visit from Mr Weir and to say they were not impressed with him would be an understatement.

He hadn't a puff about what is happening, what is meant to be happening and when, let alone the how.

FermGael

This from the unions

It's welcome that the Minister has now listened to teachers and principals in relation to the 17th August. This was the main item of discussion at our meeting yesterday but we couldn't speak publicly on this until the Executive had ratified their decision.

In practice this means that the Executive are saying that P7, Year 12 and Year 14 should attend from the 24 August. Teachers can be asked to come in the week of the 17 to prepare but this is for individual schools to decide for how many days.

All of these days will count towards the 195 contractual days.

We did NOT know that the Executive would change the guidance from 2m social distancing to 1m for pupils and 2m for teachers and other staff.

It is important that teachers and principals who have planned a holiday during the agreed closure period for their school can take that holiday.

The NASUWT as part of the NITC met with Management Side today to begin drafting an agreement which protects teachers' terms and conditions if school opening days are changed. The NITC hope that this agreement will be with schools, principals and teachers next week.

FermGael

Personally reckon full classes is the way to go
There's obvious issues with it especially for members of teaching staff who are shielding.
But I can't see how 1 meter will work in the majority of classrooms here. Hope it can

bennydorano

Great news. My eldest lad going into 7th year, so I'm assuming that his year will probably be as close to pre-covid normal as possible as A Level classes always tend to be more manageable numbers.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 18, 2020, 04:42:26 PM
How?
Children are normally apart in class and still room around the class
There won't be as much walking space around the class as a few desks will needed to be moved
It really didn't take a genius to work that out
Full attendance in September end off

You obviously went to a different type of school than most, but at my old school there was one table for two people sitting arm by arm, there were 30 per class. Was never a metre away.

Your problem seems to be understanding what a metre looks like
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Teachers should sit 1 metre from children. If parents happy to send children, then send them. Let's see the who chooses education over a virus that has little or no effect on children or people under the age of 70.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on June 18, 2020, 05:35:57 PM
Teachers should sit 1 metre from children. If parents happy to send children, then send them. Let's see the who chooses education over a virus that has little or no effect on children or people under the age of 70 ? 

Does it 'effect' anyone with asthma heart conditions COPD diabetes obesity ? Or is that only over 70's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2020, 05:33:33 PM
You obviously went to a different type of school than most, but at my old school there was one table for two people sitting arm by arm, there were 30 per class. Was never a metre away.

Could those two people not sit at opposite ends of same table now, probably a metre away from each other rather than arm by arm?  Bit of a pain for space, but do-able.

Smurfy123

No I know what a metre is
Hardstation you are always looking to find problems
Have you seen any young lad catching this virus yet?
A principal was on the radio giving off about it was impossible. Weir put him in his place straight away. When there is a will there is a way. Where not possible classes can make a bubble. Stagger breaktime. Get different classes outside for some exercise which he said is very important.
Now is the time to start planning to find a way

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: trailer on June 18, 2020, 05:35:57 PM
Teachers should sit 1 metre from children. If parents happy to send children, then send them. Let's see the who chooses education over a virus that has little or no effect on children or people under the age of 70.
More brains in a false face

Rois

Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2020, 05:48:41 PM
Quote from: Rois on June 18, 2020, 05:45:17 PM

Could those two people not sit at opposite ends of same table now, probably a metre away from each other rather than arm by arm?  Bit of a pain for space, but do-able.
And be a metre away from a pupil behind them? They could aye, but you'll not be fitting anywhere near 30 of them in many classrooms.
I'm not trying to be contrary, just trying to work out what you might be able to get into a room. What's the general dimensions of teaching space in a classroom?

JimStynes

Quote from: Rois on June 18, 2020, 06:10:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2020, 05:48:41 PM
Quote from: Rois on June 18, 2020, 05:45:17 PM

And be a metre away from a pupil behind them? They could aye, but you'll not be fitting anywhere near 30 of them in many classrooms.
I'm not trying to be contrary, just trying to work out what you might be able to get into a room. What's the general dimensions of teaching space in a classroom?

We do this for their assessments, with each child sitting opposite ends of the table but they're not able to stay away from the person behind them. It would be virtually impossible to have 1m distance. The room is just too small. Then in the lower classes it is definitely going to be impossible for them to stay away from each other. Our FS teacher has serious health condition and she's also had cancer a few years ago, she has 31 P1 children in her class this September. I'd say she will be worried because even if she has 10 in her class they'll be crawling over the top of each other and her.