Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

I would chose teaching again but the amount of work I do at the minute is ridiculous. The work just keeps getting piled on, and most of it box ticking! Before I was made permanent in my job I worked in lots of different schools and it is amazing how the workload and children's issues varies from school to school. There are some schools obsessed with data and ticking the boxes to impress inspectors. My last school was great. In at 8.30 and out the door for 3.30/4.00 with only the odd bit of weekend work or work at night and I never did work on my holidays. In other schools, including my current school, I can never get my work done. Work home every night, weekends and over the holidays too. No need for the half of it and most of the box ticking does not help the children learn at all, in fact it probably has the opposite effect as I don't get the time to teach the fun lessons anymore. Starting to feel more like a child psychologist or a social worker these days too. Children coming to school half dressed and starving and clearly living in unhappy homes. Bloody disgrace how some parents get on.

Gaffer

For me teaching no problem. Every job has its stresses but I would have no difficulty recommending the profession.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gaffer on May 15, 2016, 11:49:07 AM
For me teaching no problem. Every job has its stresses but I would have no difficulty recommending the profession.
Quote from: JimStynes on May 15, 2016, 11:48:06 AM
I would chose teaching again but the amount of work I do at the minute is ridiculous. The work just keeps getting piled on, and most of it box ticking! Before I was made permanent in my job I worked in lots of different schools and it is amazing how the workload and children's issues varies from school to school. There are some schools obsessed with data and ticking the boxes to impress inspectors. My last school was great. In at 8.30 and out the door for 3.30/4.00 with only the odd bit of weekend work or work at night and I never did work on my holidays. In other schools, including my current school, I can never get my work done. Work home every night, weekends and over the holidays too. No need for the half of it and most of the box ticking does not help the children learn at all, in fact it probably has the opposite effect as I don't get the time to teach the fun lessons anymore. Starting to feel more like a child psychologist or a social worker these days too. Children coming to school half dressed and starving and clearly living in unhappy homes. Bloody disgrace how some parents get on.

How many teachers drop out of teaching now compared to before??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 15, 2016, 06:35:34 PM

In England they're dropping like flies but not sure about here.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on May 15, 2016, 08:09:23 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 15, 2016, 06:35:34 PM

In England they're dropping like flies but not sure about here.

With the effort of doing a degree then going on to do a teaching qualification (if you choose that route) the rewards don't seem great... Money wise its not a lot compared to other graduate jobs, so is it the love of teaching and the long holiday's (which seem to be shortening) the job security (which isn't always there now with cuts) and a good pension that keeps people in teaching??

My wife has said she would never encourage our kids to go down the teaching route...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Any ICT coordinators in here? Coordinator role has been advertised in my school.  How annoying is it? I know it's not worth the money but it would be good experience. Worked out if I tutored two children a week it would be better money!

diegoforlan1

Franko

The thing that grates me about teachers is the ones that get into an absolute tailspin when it comes the time for an inspection.  Surely the stuff that the inspectors are looking for is just the stuff they should be doing all along?  Surely if you'd done your work when you were supposed to you wouldn't be in this panic?

Orior

Quote from: Franko on June 17, 2016, 11:01:27 AM
The thing that grates me about teachers is the ones that get into an absolute tailspin when it comes the time for an inspection.  Surely the stuff that the inspectors are looking for is just the stuff they should be doing all along?  Surely if you'd done your work when you were supposed to you wouldn't be in this panic?

Inspections are not much different from a visit by the mother-in-law. The wife has to have the place spotless.

The problem with inspectors is that quite often they have not taught for years, they might stumble upon good practice elsewhere but have no idea of what is required to implement. Also, I'm also unsure inspection goals are aligned with school objectives, which should be pupil orientated.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

You'd be hard pushed to find any industry that sits "inspection ready" at all times.

JimStynes

Inspections and their ideas of what 'good' teaching should be are totally unrealistic. Mostly about paperwork and data. This leads to school inspections being a load of shite and a big show for the 3 days that they are in. Children are just numbers and data, the children's home life etc wasn't even considered. We had three inspectors and a principal from another school in for our inspection. The inspectors hadn't been in a classroom in over 15 years and two of them were secondary teachers. I wouldn't know what to look for in a secondary school if I had to go in and look for good lessons. Been through two now and both were a pile of balls, although the school did well in them.

Milltown Row2

Its all a game, the inspectors are always looking for something different, second guessing them is not worth the effort, have the glass varied and good structures in place and that's it.. they will give you feedback you work on that feedback and put it into practice (where its useful) and move on, cause the next time they will want something else

ONeill

Hard to know what til be at.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

laoislad

Wasters.
At least the roads will be quiet in the mornings for a few weeks.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

theticklemister

Three more weeks for me left. I only get 6 1/2 weeks off FFS.