World Cup 2022

Started by sid waddell, March 25, 2021, 09:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Don't agree, it would be like the euros then with Brazil n Argentina thrown in for good measure.  Memories that teams such as Cameroon, Ghana, Costa Rica and South Korea have provided have been fantastic. 

An Watcher

There has been alot if moaning about a tournament in Qatar as well.  Its fantastic.  Something different, a winter wc.  Remember the crying about the wc in Russia.  Wasn't sure about it myself but it was run very well and fair play.  Different continents deserve their turn

Capt Pat

Quote from: An Watcher on November 26, 2021, 10:33:14 PM
Don't agree, it would be like the euros then with Brazil n Argentina thrown in for good measure.  Memories that teams such as Cameroon, Ghana, Costa Rica and South Korea have provided have been fantastic.

I agree with that but throwing in teams even further down the rankings will lead to more one sided games that won't really help the tournament.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 26, 2021, 10:03:38 PM
Play-off Draw

1. Wales or Austria v Scotland or Ukraine

2. Russia v Poland v Sweden or Czech Republic

3. Portugal or Turkey v Italy or North Macedonia

One (or both, I suppose) of Portugal or Italy missing out. Both ranked in the top 8 in the world currently, FIFA won't be happy with this. Expect the pressure for the number of spots awarded to UEFA teams to be increased going forward. Might even end up with more than the 16 they've been promised for 2026, which could be good news for the Irelands.

Also a potential Wales v Scotland play-off final. Russia v Poland will be a bit of craic too.

Had a strong feeling that would be draw. That Italy stoppage-time penalty miss against Switzerland could prove costly. Portugal nobody but themselves after trying to play for a draw against Serbia.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: An Watcher on November 26, 2021, 10:35:23 PM
There has been alot if moaning about a tournament in Qatar as well.  Its fantastic.  Something different, a winter wc.  Remember the crying about the wc in Russia.  Wasn't sure about it myself but it was run very well and fair play.  Different continents deserve their turn

Maybe not so fantastic for the migrant workers slaves they have building the joint. Great to move the tournament outside of the usual haunts alright, but Qatar seems like a truly rotten part of the world. Glad Ireland decided to give this one a miss.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

sid waddell

That Jorginho with his stupid penalty taking style is only a cod.

Far too smart for his own good.

Farrandeelin

They do, but reports of people dying while construction was ongoing annoyed me. The heat will be a leveller however.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rodney trotter

Different Continents have hosted the World Cup. It's been in America,  South Korea/Japan, South Africa

Next years World Cup was a whole scandal, and Platini had to resign over the corruption, along with thousands dying on the construction site.

sid waddell

Qatar's Lord Haw Haw is none other than Richard Keys.

Quite the reinvention.

JoG2

Fantastic? Not for me for a multitude of reasons, 'something different' doesn't enter the equation