HOW WOULD YOU VOTE IN A BORDER POLL?

Started by RedHand88, March 20, 2021, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you back unity if a border poll was held tomorrow?

Yes (Northerner)
No (Northerner)
Yes (Southener)
No (Southener)

clonadmad

Quote from: Rossfan on March 21, 2021, 01:18:40 PM
In any All Ireland set up the State will be run by those elected by the voters.
That will rule out loonylefties being in any kind of power.
If Sinn Féin still exist then they will be a Centrist catch all populist party. They're already heading that way with their 2 abortion positions, not to mention their everything free but cut taxes too.
Calling the 26Cos a "failed statelet(sic)" is the language of the 1950s and is now only used by brainwashed eejits.

Poor Angelo

He has more in common with the likes of Jim Alister.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 21, 2021, 07:19:00 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 21, 2021, 02:10:06 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 20, 2021, 09:01:07 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 20, 2021, 06:33:27 PM
Said it before and will say it again.
Any Irish person that votes against unity is an embarrassment to their country and an embarrassment as a person.
I think it's fair tos ay that a huge majority down south are in favour of a UI but fully realise that a lot of hard bargaining is needed before we can entertain any hopes of coming up with an arrangements,  federal states or otherwise, that would have any chance of success.
Putting a UI together is one thing but coming up with a solution that works is going to be far harder- if unity ever comes to pass.
No "hard bargaining" needs to be done.
We're not asking you for a favour so stop letting on that northerners need to grovel to the southerners as if you're gonna bail us out or something. The irony in that too though eh.
If and when it comes down to putting an X in the box, if any Irish person votes against unity they are an embarrassment.
To whom? I can't see many southerners  who see the essence of Irishness being an aspiration for unity with no strings whatever attached. They would like to be allowed the right to have some say in their own future.
To their country and to themselves, as I already said in my last post.
The fact you go on to say that they may need persuaded says it all, it reinforces my point.
"I'll only vote for a UI if it doesn't cost me any money". Plastic paddies. They'd be the biggest waste of spaces of the lot.

Rossfan

How many "nationalist Nordies" will vote NO because of their pockets?
Then there was the genius (forget his handle) on this board who suggested having higher taxes in the 26 to pay for better health care in the 6 ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

The Free Stater partitionists getting very testy about calling out the inherent corruption associated with both parties who have governed over their state since its shady inception.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

seafoid

Quote from: charlieTully on March 21, 2021, 11:10:56 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 21, 2021, 08:13:38 AM
It should be done in stages with Fermanagh rejoining first  because Fermanagh had voted allegiance to Dáil Éireann pre 1921.

Throne would be next , then Derry, followed by Armagh
Maybe Down could be digested in stages.

And Antrim, with Larne at the end.

Right seafoid that's you banned from county down. 😒
GRMA Charlie

https://youtu.be/mkTI1L2Ap3s

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Rossfan on March 21, 2021, 01:48:36 PM
How many "nationalist Nordies" will vote NO because of their pockets?
Then there was the genius (forget his handle) on this board who suggested having higher taxes in the 26 to pay for better health care in the 6 ::)

almost all of them, a border poll in the north would be thrashed, god knows why unionists are so scared of it  ::)

Substandard

Personally,  I would vote yes, but there is a myriad of issues that would need to be addressed,  and I'd imagine any reunification process would need to be phased in over a number of years and stages. 
I think that the vision any of us have of how a United Ireland would work or look depends on our ages, influences and experience.
I know that while I was in school (a long way from the border, and violence in the North was a regular feature in the news), there would always have been a pretty significant tacit support, but for us nationalist and Republicans were interchangeable.  Up the ra was familiar graffiti and sentiments.  I'm not interested in debating the rights or wrongs of this- Sid and Angelo are both far better equipped to do this than me, but it always struck me as somewhere between odd and sinister the portrayal in the media even from when I was a teen: it was overwhelmingly anti- Sinn Féin and the IRA, but there never seemed to be near as much about the UDA or UFF.  I think that's a fair observation, but I don't have anything to back it up, so maybe I'm wrong.
Again as a teen my Dad started doing business with a few different lads from Tyrone,  Armagh and Belfast for a while.  It was fascinating to hear them describe day to day life, and regular encounters with the RUC and the British army, and on one or two trips with him to that part of the world I saw it for myself- in what world would it be considered normal to be questioned by a soldier with a gun pointing into the car?  It got me thinking at an early age that we were living in a complete bubble by comparison, and not only were we being insulated from all this, we were being conditioned by the media and the other political parties: I always found it baffling how it seemed that the powers that be seemed so eager to condemn anything Sinn Fein or nationalist, and why?  Because we were so dependent on the UK economically, we wouldn't want to be seen or heard to cause offence?  There are so many strands and layers- I haven't the time, or the required knowledge or comprehension to go into so many things here.
I have noticed over the past 20 years that the school environment and attitude towards the North has changed a lot.  Kids growing up now have other things that take up their time and attention.  Up the ra is very rare, either written or said.  So I'd imagine the concept of a United Ireland or vote, and the thought processes for people in their 20s or teens, and for those of us old enough to remember' the Troubles' are different, possibly very different.
The entire concept is big, bigger than a couple of paragraphs on a chat forum.  That's my tuppence worth- I don't post too often, but I read a lot of threads every day.  I try to keep an open mind, and I used to find this forum great because of the variety of views or links that I could read, and sometimes take on board for my own point of view.  I know very little,  and understand less, and I'm slow to make my mind up because there's always the other side of the story to consider.

grounded

Quote from: Substandard on March 21, 2021, 02:47:39 PM
Personally,  I would vote yes, but there is a myriad of issues that would need to be addressed,  and I'd imagine any reunification process would need to be phased in over a number of years and stages. 
I think that the vision any of us have of how a United Ireland would work or look depends on our ages, influences and experience.
I know that while I was in school (a long way from the border, and violence in the North was a regular feature in the news), there would always have been a pretty significant tacit support, but for us nationalist and Republicans were interchangeable.  Up the ra was familiar graffiti and sentiments.  I'm not interested in debating the rights or wrongs of this- Sid and Angelo are both far better equipped to do this than me, but it always struck me as somewhere between odd and sinister the portrayal in the media even from when I was a teen: it was overwhelmingly anti- Sinn Féin and the IRA, but there never seemed to be near as much about the UDA or UFF.  I think that's a fair observation, but I don't have anything to back it up, so maybe I'm wrong.
Again as a teen my Dad started doing business with a few different lads from Tyrone,  Armagh and Belfast for a while.  It was fascinating to hear them describe day to day life, and regular encounters with the RUC and the British army, and on one or two trips with him to that part of the world I saw it for myself- in what world would it be considered normal to be questioned by a soldier with a gun pointing into the car?  It got me thinking at an early age that we were living in a complete bubble by comparison, and not only were we being insulated from all this, we were being conditioned by the media and the other political parties: I always found it baffling how it seemed that the powers that be seemed so eager to condemn anything Sinn Fein or nationalist, and why?  Because we were so dependent on the UK economically, we wouldn't want to be seen or heard to cause offence?  There are so many strands and layers- I haven't the time, or the required knowledge or comprehension to go into so many things here.
I have noticed over the past 20 years that the school environment and attitude towards the North has changed a lot.  Kids growing up now have other things that take up their time and attention.  Up the ra is very rare, either written or said.  So I'd imagine the concept of a United Ireland or vote, and the thought processes for people in their 20s or teens, and for those of us old enough to remember' the Troubles' are different, possibly very different.
The entire concept is big, bigger than a couple of paragraphs on a chat forum.  That's my tuppence worth- I don't post too often, but I read a lot of threads every day.  I try to keep an open mind, and I used to find this forum great because of the variety of views or links that I could read, and sometimes take on board for my own point of view.  I know very little,  and understand less, and I'm slow to make my mind up because there's always the other side of the story to consider.

A reasonable well thought out honest post. You'll not last long on here!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 21, 2021, 01:39:36 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 21, 2021, 07:19:00 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 21, 2021, 02:10:06 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 20, 2021, 09:01:07 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 20, 2021, 06:33:27 PM
Said it before and will say it again.
Any Irish person that votes against unity is an embarrassment to their country and an embarrassment as a person.
I think it's fair tos ay that a huge majority down south are in favour of a UI but fully realise that a lot of hard bargaining is needed before we can entertain any hopes of coming up with an arrangements,  federal states or otherwise, that would have any chance of success.
Putting a UI together is one thing but coming up with a solution that works is going to be far harder- if unity ever comes to pass.
No "hard bargaining" needs to be done.
We're not asking you for a favour so stop letting on that northerners need to grovel to the southerners as if you're gonna bail us out or something. The irony in that too though eh.
If and when it comes down to putting an X in the box, if any Irish person votes against unity they are an embarrassment.
To whom? I can't see many southerners  who see the essence of Irishness being an aspiration for unity with no strings whatever attached. They would like to be allowed the right to have some say in their own future.
To their country and to themselves, as I already said in my last post.
The fact you go on to say that they may need persuaded says it all, it reinforces my point.
"I'll only vote for a UI if it doesn't cost me any money". Plastic paddies. They'd be the biggest waste of spaces of the lot.
G'man, you're in flying form- musta been on the  Lurgan champagne last night!
I'm afraid that there's a chance that you might actually be serious.
I will decide if something embarrasses me or not.
Dunno how you think people down south won't vote for UI if it's going to cost them money- all available evidence points the other way.
Back in the 90s, when the GFA negotiations were at a critical stage, the south was asked to amend its constitution to remove articles that were offensive to Unionists in general. Both articles were rescinded by massive majorities. By and large, people down here are very much aware of what is happening in the North and will do whatever can be done to bring about reconciliation between the warring factions in the god-forsaken corner of the island.
Of course, a UI will cost us money and a lot more besides but it's not up to us to make the first move.
Seems to me that all SF is doing is hyping up sectarian tensions for reasons I don't understand.
Has Mary Lou and co. come up with what should be done in the event of a UI vote being in their favour in NI? Any blueprint for the shape a UI should take?
You show me SF's proposal for their vision of a UI and I will rest my case.
Any attempt to form a sectarian state will lead to more violence and destruction and will knock the arse out of any chances of making any form of UI work. That's delusion on a grand scale.
I'd have no problems sharing Ireland with the vast majority from both sides of the community up north. But we have enough problems of our own without importing yours.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Angelo

Quote from: Substandard on March 21, 2021, 02:47:39 PM

A very good post.

You can see how brainwashed some free staters are by the contributions on here.

Rossfan and Dublin7 being prime examples of the type of brain donor commentary you expect. All slurs, little substance.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Applesisapples

I got pilloried on another chat for saying that as a nationalist I need a lot of reassurance before I would commit to yes. This is mainly because of my age and stage in life. If I were younger I would enthusiastically take the chance. I would need to be sure that my health needs and retirement both of which are rushing at me quicker than I'd like , are taken care off. I make no apology for that. Secondly the threat from loyalist crime gangs would need to be addressed. I also would not wish my experience of growing up in a state that denied and denies my right to be Irish visited on those who feel that they are British.

Rossfan

The new All Ireland entity will have to have Constitutional arrangements for the 6Co area and for the "Ulster British"( I can't think of a better term) who live there.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Watcher

Well if loyalist crime gangs get wind of people not voting for a UI based on threats from them, we all know what is going to happen.

grounded

What i do find both fascinating and simultaneously utterly depressing, is the differences in conversation between the Nationalists/Republicans/others both North and South(be that political parties, media and even forums like this. Loads of different opinions/arguments both for and against.
          Is there anything like that sort of discourse on the Unionist/Loyalist side?
  All roads lead to Dublin and hell!