China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 11, 2022, 12:29:33 AM
How's a gp supposed to diganose what's wrong with your chest over the phone or tell what's wrong with you, simple answer they can't. I was spitting up blood for 7 days, had ripped stomach lining in past and though it was a reoccurrence. It was 2 weeks before they see me face to face as it wasn't deemed a emergency, ended up it was early stages of tuberculosis. Point is if they seen me at the start I wouldn't had the problems I still have now. The service from the gp in my opinion went through the floor. Having to explain to the admin who not a doctor your medical issues not on either. They got 8 gp in my surgery, near all are part time, u can't see the same gp twice, how are they supposed to keep track of a patients well been when you don't see the same doctor L. Years ago you seen the same doctor all the time and they knew your history, but they worked full time not a 2/3 day week.

Ok few things. They usually have an admin day where they spend the day actioning letters, coding records etc. 4 days a week 8-6 is a typical working week for a GP (40hrs).

Admin staff are trained to determine what is/isn't an emergency. You need a filter there otherwise unfortunately the slots would fill up even quicker and be filled with absolute crap like I need help with the NIDIRECT covid passport website, I swallowed some mouthwash, I want to speak to Dr X to ask how his son is. You would not believe what people ring their GP for. This makes it harder for real problems to get through.

Also, any doctor will be sitting infront of your full history anytime you speak to them, so don't worry about different GPs.

As for your TB case, were you speaking to the GP at the start? Usually in a case like that you'd be asked to send in a sputum sample, did this not happen?

Like any industry or profession, there are good ones and bad ones. I feel the likes of dentists and hospitals get off lightly compared to GP surgeries. Tried seeing a dentist recently? Good luck. Waiting on a hospital consultant? Prepare for a long wait.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 11, 2022, 08:27:15 AM
How's a gp supposed to diganose what's wrong with your chest over the phone or tell what's wrong with you, simple answer they can't. I was spitting up blood for 7 days, had ripped stomach lining in past and though it was a reoccurrence. It was 2 weeks before they see me face to face as it wasn't deemed a emergency, ended up it was early stages of tuberculosis. Point is if they seen me at the start I wouldn't had the problems I still have now. The service from the gp in my opinion went through the floor. Having to explain to the admin who not a doctor your medical issues not on either. They got 8 gp in my surgery, near all are part time, u can't see the same gp twice, how are they supposed to keep track of a patients well been when you don't see the same doctor L. Years ago you seen the same doctor all the time and they knew your history, but they worked full time not a 2/3 day week.

Ok few things. They usually have an admin day where they spend the day actioning letters, coding records etc. 4 days a week 8-6 is a typical working week for a GP (40hrs).

Admin staff are trained to determine what is/isn't an emergency. You need a filter there otherwise unfortunately the slots would fill up even quicker and be filled with absolute crap like I need help with the NIDIRECT covid passport website, I swallowed some mouthwash, I want to speak to Dr X to ask how his son is. You would not believe what people ring their GP for. This makes it harder for real problems to get through.

Also, any doctor will be sitting infront of your full history anytime you speak to them, so don't worry about different GPs.

As for your TB case, were you speaking to the GP at the start? Usually in a case like that you'd be asked to send in a sputum sample, did this not happen?

Like any industry or profession, there are good ones and bad ones. I feel the likes of dentists and hospitals get off lightly compared to GP surgeries. Tried seeing a dentist recently? Good luck. Waiting on a hospital consultant? Prepare for a long wait.

I'm working out of a GP surgery also. Its busy enough, it's being used for other things also which keep numbers coming into the the clinic, so its not like they are stopping people coming in, I'm fairly busy all day (while he has a cuppa) 2 full time doctors 2 nurses and a couple of doctors who are in 2 or three days a week.

As for my own experience of going to a GP, I've only been to the GP twice in 30 years, both times during covid, one was a minor complaint and the other was for a check up for a stool sample for check up bowl cancer. Its a pain to sit and wait on the call but once I got through a doctor called back and arranged to see me that day.

The doctors I see working here are in first thing in the morning and last out at night, they are busy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

They are under resourced. I saw a GP within 15 minutes about 3 months ago during the pandemic. It is an absolute pain the arse getting through to them mind you.

I have heard two sides to the story. From my own perspective I had a lingering cough and wasn't seen so got antibiotics which were useless. That wouldn't have happened pre covid and I'd have been properly diagnosed initially but I can kind of see why too.

On the flip side there are bad ones too. My wife's boss got a bad one wrt care of her father who was in significant pain. The GP would do nothing for him and this was day to day significant pain. Eventually a second opinion was asked for and he was told to get into hospital immediately. The original GP should have been given a boot up the hole and disciplined.

Like anything you get good ones and bad ones and they are in a difficult situation.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I can tell you that the number of cancers being found by the time it is too late is on the increase. Not sure if this is down to GPs but Id suspect there may be a link

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 11, 2022, 09:48:34 AM
I can tell you that the number of cancers being found by the time it is too late is on the increase. Not sure if this is down to GPs but Id suspect there may be a link

I get that, but there are people like my da, who even though the signs were there refused to do anything about it, or afraid to do anything about it.

If you know something is up and not getting any help from your GP, your options are, A&E or private, there are plenty of private clinics now that will take payments for GP services, they aint hard to pay either, I'm not talking Knightbridge or Ulster Clinic, there are small private ones about
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2022, 09:55:14 AM

I get that, but there are people like my da, who even though the signs were there refused to do anything about it, or afraid to do anything about it.

If you know something is up and not getting any help from your GP, your options are, A&E or private, there are plenty of private clinics now that will take payments for GP services, they aint hard to pay either, I'm not talking Knightbridge or Ulster Clinic, there are small private ones about

I accept that

Tony Baloney

Have seen your bake on the wall in one of them  ;)

Jim Bob

How would you find where they are?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 11, 2022, 01:10:58 PM

Have seen your bake on the wall in one of them  ;)

Bastards have me planted in a few shops in the north, the cnts!! So you can only imagine how ugly the other ones are lol

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 11, 2022, 01:21:39 PM

How would you find where they are?

This doctor called into our place in Belfast a couple of years ago, they have one based in Belfast on Howard street I think

https://vitalishealth.co.uk/

grounded

I think you replied to me before that they now see face to face an average of 5 patients a day. The rest are dealt with on the phone.

How does that differ with rhe numbers of face to face pre-covid?

RedHand88

Quote from: grounded on January 11, 2022, 02:26:41 PM

I think you replied to me before that they now see face to face an average of 5 patients a day. The rest are dealt with on the phone.

How does that differ with rhe numbers of face to face pre-covid?

Well it was pretty much all face to face pre covid. So maybe 30 face to face before 2020. The amount of people dealt with in a day is still the same.

Milltown Row2

What's the limit on numbers for indoor venues in the South?

Rossfan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2022, 03:30:28 PM
What's the limit on numbers for indoor venues in the South?
Without checking...  think it's lesser of 50% of seated capacity or 1,000, all out by 8pm.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM