Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Quote from: tbrick18 on December 18, 2019, 11:11:32 AM
Quote from: small white mayoman on December 11, 2019, 07:48:58 PM
Sorry for you loss Pj can only imagine how you feel . Don't know why I feel the need to post on the forum but the black dog has got a grip of me and probably has for quite a while though I didn't want to admit it. i have sought help but it's not easy , things appear very bleak at the moment , to the outside it would appear that I have an ideal  life but the truth is my heads is  in turmoil, used to love Christmas but really dreading this one .

Keep the head up and just take one step after the other. Christmas can be a very stressful time even when not suffering from depression, so give yourself a break. Keep talking and forget about what the appearance is to the outside world, we have no control over that. Just keep things focused on your self, your health and your family.
With help and talking, it will get better.

We do have control here, we can choose not to give a sh@t what people think.

Boycey

Rudi

Quote from: Boycey on December 18, 2019, 03:11:16 PM
Very simplistic....

Thats the problem, people should keep things as simple as possible, no need to over complicate things. Take stock of whats relevant and what matters.

grounded

Quote from: small white mayoman on December 11, 2019, 07:48:58 PM
Sorry for you loss Pj can only imagine how you feel . Don't know why I feel the need to post on the forum but the black dog has got a grip of me and probably has for quite a while though I didn't want to admit it. i have sought help but it's not easy , things appear very bleak at the moment , to the outside it would appear that I have an ideal  life but the truth is my heads is  in turmoil, used to love Christmas but really dreading this one .

A work colleague confided with me that he suffered from depression. I could hardly believe it. He had a good job and a lovely wife and family, he was in his mid 30's and what i thought in the prime of his life. To the outside world all looked fine and well.
           He said it was an accumulation of things. Started with a family dispute and then other things added to it. None of the problems were particularly serious but all together he couldnt cope. But thankfully he got professional help. He knew enough to know things werent as they should be.
            He spent some time away from his family to recover and thankfully he has made a recovery although he said it is a constant struggle but crucially he now has some idea of some coping mechanisms and access to help should he need it.
            I think this is the key. Don't try to go it alone. Talk to someone you trust and get professional help if you need it.
            I hope everything works out for you

Boycey

Quote from: Rudi on December 18, 2019, 04:07:57 PM
Very simplistic....

Thats the problem, people should keep things as simple as possible, no need to over complicate things. Take stock of whats relevant and what matters.

As someone who's being battling it for a number of years I wish I wouldn't over complicate (mostly simple) things. That's part of the problem for a lot of people. Taking stock isn't always an option especially in the lonely hours when ur brain is running at maximum capacity with each thought more outlandish than the last.. 

Rudi

Quote from: Boycey on December 18, 2019, 08:03:26 PM
Quote from: Rudi on December 18, 2019, 04:07:57 PM
Very simplistic....

As someone who's being battling it for a number of years I wish I wouldn't over complicate (mostly simple) things. That's part of the problem for a lot of people. Taking stock isn't always an option especially in the lonely hours when ur brain is running at maximum capacity with each thought more outlandish than the last..

I've been there too, thankfully not in the past 6 years. The initial comment was in response to a particular post and not depression sufferers in general.
I wish you well and hope you find light and clarity in your life again.

paddyjohn

Talk. Talk. Talk.

Simple as that lads & ladies. Check on yer troops

Eamonnca1

illdecide

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/03/16/news/learning-to-live-without-football-1868426/

Lads well worth a read, had tears in my eyes reading that. Jasus so glad it worked out well for young Sludden, a brave young man to come out and talk to the Irish News like that but if it helps even one more person then was well worth it.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Tony Baloney

Quote from: illdecide on March 17, 2020, 03:38:00 PM
https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/03/16/news/learning-to-live-without-football-1868426/

Lads well worth a read, had tears in my eyes reading that. Jasus so glad it worked out well for young Sludden, a brave young man to come out and talk to the Irish News like that but if it helps even one more person then was well worth it.
Poor lad. Happens to a lot of sportspeople who struggle to deal with serious injury. Good luck to him and great to see him on the mend.

PMG1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 17, 2020, 08:56:00 PM
Quote from: illdecide on March 17, 2020, 03:38:00 PM

Poor lad. Happens to a lot of sportspeople who struggle to deal with serious injury. Good luck to him and great to see him on the mend.
Didn't even mention the fact that on top of the 3 cruciates he also broke his leg at 15 or 16 and missed the guts of a year with that too. Never seen a young lad as badly hit with injuries, the fact that he was out for a 8 months with his second cruciate, played half a reserve game and a week later comes on in a senior league game against one of his biggest rivals, scores 3 points in his first 10 minutes, this shows you just how talented the lad is, serious loss as a player but pales into insignificance with the effect the injuries have had on his mental health 

TwoUpTwoDown

Tough read and all the best to the young lad with whatever journey he now takes. One thing which really jumped out at me though. There's a serious problem with gambling in that community - and I'm not just referring to the obvious case. Why is that? It's a curse of a thing and has been a huge contributor to many a mental health problem over the years.

square_ball

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on March 18, 2020, 08:59:49 AM
Tough read and all the best to the young lad with whatever journey he now takes. One thing which really jumped out at me though. There's a serious problem with gambling in that community - and I'm not just referring to the obvious case. Why is that? It's a curse of a thing and has been a huge contributor to many a mental health problem over the years.

Absolutely it is and I've been in changing rooms where it's been the only topic of conversation from managers to players. My own theory and it's only a small part of it again is social media. How many times do you see some put up on Facebook or twitter their big win on the football or the horses? They don't put up all the losses. This in turn draws people in to think it's easy to win a few quid and it spirals. My 2p on it anyway. I have had the odd bet over the years and can see how it can draw you in.

marty34

Quote from: square_ball on March 18, 2020, 09:14:54 AM
Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on March 18, 2020, 08:59:49 AM

Absolutely it is and I've been in changing rooms where it's been the only topic of conversation from managers to players. My own theory and it's only a small part of it again is social media. How many times do you see some put up on Facebook or twitter their big win on the football or the horses? They don't put up all the losses. This in turn draws people in to think it's easy to win a few quid and it spirals. My 2p on it anyway. I have had the odd bet over the years and can see how it can draw you in.

True, it's a hedden problem not with the mobile phone.

I've a lot of papers in the house since Jan - only getting to read them now...lol. Good report in the Irish Times from early January. 10 of Premier Lge teams having gambling companies on their shirts, while 15 out of 24 Championship teams have gambling companies on their shirts.  I never even realised that.

Unreal how many gambling comanies are associated English football at the top level. Quite a few have chinese writing on them so the big market seems to be there but it impacts everywhere.  In saying that, that's where the money is - for betting companies and the Premierships and championship clubs etc.

Good job they can't have gambling companies on GAA tops - that's one of the many good things about the GAA.

On phones, it's far too easy to bed - it's not the physical task of getting into car and going to the local bookies and that's the problem - too easy nowadays.

A hidden scourge.