Author Topic: Depression  (Read 108153 times)

Boycey

• View Profile
Re: Depression
« Reply #525 on: December 18, 2019, 08:03:26 PM »
Very simplistic....

Thats the problem, people should keep things as simple as possible, no need to over complicate things. Take stock of whats relevant and what matters.

As someone who's being battling it for a number of years I wish I wouldn't over complicate (mostly simple) things. That's part of the problem for a lot of people. Taking stock isn't always an option especially in the lonely hours when ur brain is running at maximum capacity with each thought more outlandish than the last.. 

Rudi

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 18, 2019, 09:44:09 PM »
Very simplistic....

Thats the problem, people should keep things as simple as possible, no need to over complicate things. Take stock of whats relevant and what matters.

As someone who's being battling it for a number of years I wish I wouldn't over complicate (mostly simple) things. That's part of the problem for a lot of people. Taking stock isn't always an option especially in the lonely hours when ur brain is running at maximum capacity with each thought more outlandish than the last..

I've been there too, thankfully not in the past 6 years. The initial comment was in response to a particular post and not depression sufferers in general.
I wish you well and hope you find light and clarity in your life again.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 07, 2020, 07:47:03 PM »
Talk. Talk. Talk.

Simple as that lads & ladies. Check on yer troops

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 16, 2020, 11:00:41 PM »

illdecide

• Quit your Jibba Jabbing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 17, 2020, 03:38:00 PM »
https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/03/16/news/learning-to-live-without-football-1868426/

Lads well worth a read, had tears in my eyes reading that. Jasus so glad it worked out well for young Sludden, a brave young man to come out and talk to the Irish News like that but if it helps even one more person then was well worth it.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 17, 2020, 08:56:00 PM »
https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/03/16/news/learning-to-live-without-football-1868426/

Lads well worth a read, had tears in my eyes reading that. Jasus so glad it worked out well for young Sludden, a brave young man to come out and talk to the Irish News like that but if it helps even one more person then was well worth it.
Poor lad. Happens to a lot of sportspeople who struggle to deal with serious injury. Good luck to him and great to see him on the mend.

PMG1

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 17, 2020, 09:35:36 PM »

Poor lad. Happens to a lot of sportspeople who struggle to deal with serious injury. Good luck to him and great to see him on the mend.
Didnít even mention the fact that on top of the 3 cruciates he also broke his leg at 15 or 16 and missed the guts of a year with that too. Never seen a young lad as badly hit with injuries, the fact that he was out for a 8 months with his second cruciate, played half a reserve game and a week later comes on in a senior league game against one of his biggest rivals, scores 3 points in his first 10 minutes, this shows you just how talented the lad is, serious loss as a player but pales into insignificance with the effect the injuries have had on his mental health 

TwoUpTwoDown

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 18, 2020, 08:59:49 AM »
Tough read and all the best to the young lad with whatever journey he now takes. One thing which really jumped out at me though. There's a serious problem with gambling in that community - and I'm not just referring to the obvious case. Why is that? It's a curse of a thing and has been a huge contributor to many a mental health problem over the years.

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 18, 2020, 09:14:54 AM »
Tough read and all the best to the young lad with whatever journey he now takes. One thing which really jumped out at me though. There's a serious problem with gambling in that community - and I'm not just referring to the obvious case. Why is that? It's a curse of a thing and has been a huge contributor to many a mental health problem over the years.

Absolutely it is and Iíve been in changing rooms where itís been the only topic of conversation from managers to players. My own theory and itís only a small part of it again is social media. How many times do you see some put up on Facebook or twitter their big win on the football or the horses? They donít put up all the losses. This in turn draws people in to think itís easy to win a few quid and it spirals. My 2p on it anyway. I have had the odd bet over the years and can see how it can draw you in.

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 18, 2020, 09:45:35 AM »

Absolutely it is and Iíve been in changing rooms where itís been the only topic of conversation from managers to players. My own theory and itís only a small part of it again is social media. How many times do you see some put up on Facebook or twitter their big win on the football or the horses? They donít put up all the losses. This in turn draws people in to think itís easy to win a few quid and it spirals. My 2p on it anyway. I have had the odd bet over the years and can see how it can draw you in.

True, it's a hedden problem not with the mobile phone.

I've a lot of papers in the house since Jan - only getting to read them now...lol. Good report in the Irish Times from early January. 10 of Premier Lge teams having gambling companies on their shirts, while 15 out of 24 Championship teams have gambling companies on their shirts.  I never even realised that.

Unreal how many gambling comanies are associated English football at the top level. Quite a few have chinese writing on them so the big market seems to be there but it impacts everywhere.  In saying that, that's where the money is - for betting companies and the Premierships and championship clubs etc.

Good job they can't have gambling companies on GAA tops - that's one of the many good things about the GAA.

On phones, it's far too easy to bed - it's not the physical task of getting into car and going to the local bookies and that's the problem - too easy nowadays.

A hidden scourge.

illdecide

• Quit your Jibba Jabbing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 18, 2020, 10:08:10 AM »
Guys its unreal just how bad it is, in a changing room it's all you hear and phones out gambling on anything that moves with livescore going flat out. Young men who can't even have a conversation with you or look you in the face as all they care about is the bet they've done and if it's winning or not. The changing rooms have changed so much these days, I stopped gambling altogether just so as my son didn't see me go in there as i would hate it if he ended up there. Gambling really is one of the worst habits out there, it breaks my heart looking at them students on the Ormeau Rd in Belfast all rigged out in their GAA gear drinking and gambling like money is no object...Sad.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 18, 2020, 10:12:17 AM »
Common conversation in changing rooms now after training

Player 1 - 'jeez Athletico are 1-0 up against Liverpool'

Player 2 - Frig, they were 4/1 too'

The amount of times I hear someone mention the score of the game, followed by the price of a team in the bookies is unreal.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 01:41:04 PM by toby47 »

TwoUpTwoDown

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 18, 2020, 01:36:59 PM »
Common conversation in changing rooms now after training

Player 1 - 'jeez Athletico are 1-0 against Liverpool'

Player 2 - Frig, they were 4/1 too'

The amount of times I hear someone mention the score of the game, followed by the price of a team in the bookies is unreal.

I can definitely relate to this. It's completely the norm in our changing room. It's everywhere and it needs to be stamped out. You don't have to dig too much to hear some horrible stories.

pbat

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 04, 2020, 08:43:29 PM »
Today i've hit a wall. Just took the wind out of my sails. Went to be bed at Four O Clock but have had to get back up as I was just lying there going to some dark and strange places. Im not a house drinker which is a good thing cause I know if a pub was open today Id been in it all day.

Off work now six weeks generally bored on Sundays but kept a form of structure to my week days as best as possible.  But today looked at a few wee jobs then just locked the shed and said no. Didn't even go for my walk. Suppose I will try again tomorrow.