Android Boxes

Started by snoopdog, July 30, 2015, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Hands FFS

Is the fire stick or the android box better anyone?

nrico2006

I have been using KODI for a while on my phone.  Linked it to localcast via an xml file.  Always worked a dream.  I would also use HD Cinema too, nearly as good and quicker to search and use but it gives you the option to play locally or stream.  Downloaded the beast and got her streaming for any non-live programmes but for any live tv stream I always get the codec error from my chromecast.  I have had to reinstall the beast minus the xml link-in and it now plays live tv no bother on my phone.  Is there no way about this?  Do these andorid boxes have this isue or are they more robust in comparison with a chromecast i.e. do they decode the majority of streams?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Gs Man

To answer both questions above....

I have both an android box and an amazon firestick.  I prefer the firestick as it seems to be more stable.  Whilst it isn't hard wired to the router, it still out performs my m8 android box.

nrico2006, in my opinion, chromecast and all those local cast things etc just add an extra layer of possible problems.

Get yourselves an Amazon Firestick.  £25 on Amazon today for Black Friday.

Couldn't beat it with a big stick!
Keep 'er lit

Denn Forever

Quote from: The Gs Man on November 27, 2015, 01:38:45 PM

I have both an android box and an amazon firestick.  I prefer the firestick as it seems to be more stable.  Whilst it isn't hard wired to the router, it still out performs my m8 android box.

nrico2006, in my opinion, chromecast and all those local cast things etc just add an extra layer of possible problems.

How about a big fire extinguisher?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

laoislad

Quote from: The Gs Man on November 27, 2015, 01:38:45 PM

Fair play G's man thanks for the tip.I just bought myself one, couldn't not at that price.
I dunno why anyone still bothers with casting, its too much hassle.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

nrico2006

What does an Amazon Firestick do differently than Chromecast?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

LeoMc

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 27, 2015, 02:09:43 PM
What does an Amazon Firestick do differently than Chromecast?
or Apple TV or Roku?

The Gs Man

You're casting from a device to your phone with Chromecast.

A firestick plugs straight into your HDMI.  No messing about.

You're also able to get Kodi on your firestick with a bit of footering.
Keep 'er lit

take_yer_points

I put Kodi on a firestick during the week and then installed the Beast. I was trying to watch a match during the week using the Live Sports > BT Sport Europe link on the landing screen but it would only work for a few minutes and then would cut off. I have a 6 Meg download speed, I assumed that would be enough to stream. I've no bother watching films, tv shows or freeview channels on it. Is the server just too busy?

I couldn't get rte going on the iVue guide links either. I was getting an error message and it was saying to check the logs. Any ideas?

Boycey

Quote from: take_yer_points on November 27, 2015, 03:39:32 PM
I put Kodi on a firestick during the week and then installed the Beast. I was trying to watch a match during the week using the Live Sports > BT Sport Europe link on the landing screen but it would only work for a few minutes and then would cut off. I have a 6 Meg download speed, I assumed that would be enough to stream. I've no bother watching films, tv shows or freeview channels on it. Is the server just too busy?

I couldn't get rte going on the iVue guide links either. I was getting an error message and it was saying to check the logs. Any ideas?

There is limited cache available on the Firestick and it fills up very quickly. I empty the cache everytime I launch Kodi.... Its more of a problem watching live stuff than streaming tv series and the like

Where are you based? if not in Ireland RTE probably won't work without a VPN

The Gs Man

Take yer Points, maybe try a couple of different add-ons.  Dexter TV and Phoenix are the ones I usually go for.

I would also tend to avoid any Sky Sports or BT streams.  I reckon everyone uses those so they may be pretty slow and buffer a lot.

The matches on that Premier League Pass are great!  No buffering and HD quality.
Keep 'er lit

annapr

Quote from: The Gs Man on November 30, 2015, 11:15:27 AM
Take yer Points, maybe try a couple of different add-ons.  Dexter TV and Phoenix are the ones I usually go for.

I would also tend to avoid any Sky Sports or BT streams.  I reckon everyone uses those so they may be pretty slow and buffer a lot.

The matches on that Premier League Pass are great!  No buffering and HD quality.
Is Premier League pass a paid subscription service?

gallsman

Anyone seen or heard Bud recently? Gave him a shout about his fancy 4K enabled box both here and at the email on the website but haven't heard anything back.

The Gs Man

Quote from: annapr on November 30, 2015, 11:17:11 AM
Quote from: The Gs Man on November 30, 2015, 11:15:27 AM

Is Premier League pass a paid subscription service?

No, it tends to be the stream that shows up through Phoenix.

And it's the one that shows up for 3pm Saturday kick-offs too.
Keep 'er lit

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Boycey on November 27, 2015, 04:31:47 PM
I empty the cache everytime I launch Kodi....

Boycey, how do you do this?

BTW, there was an update for The Beast at the weekend and it not gives more sources for sports.  I'd recommend updating.
On Kodi, you just launch the ChrisB wizard from within your add-ons, select The Beast and then let it work for 30 or 40 minutes.