Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: gallsman on November 17, 2010, 03:17:33 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 17, 2010, 02:08:57 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 17, 2010, 11:36:39 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 16, 2010, 09:35:59 PM
Gallsman, i see you are now into ridiculing those who dare to have a republican outlook on a message board. Is that the new level to stoop to? Well going by your profile, you have put up more posts than I have, and post per day average is higher than mine, what does that make you, if I'm a "keyboard republican"?

A keyboard post-nationalist?

Or is they "keyboard" prefix only necessary when attempting to ridicule people for not having similar political opinions to yours? Bit snobby that.

No, I'm specifically ridiculing you and Banana Man. Not that hard to figure out really.
I know you think you are ridiculing bananaman and myself, but that wasn't what I asked. So I'll ask my two questions again, in the hope of an answer to them the second time around.

Going by your profile, you have put up more posts than I have, and post per day average is higher than mine, so if I'm a "keyboard republican", what does that make you? A keyboard post-nationalist?

Or is they "keyboard" prefix only necessary when attempting to ridicule people for not having similar political opinions to yours?

But your question is completely irrelevant - my posts tend to examine both sides of an arguement. You post exclusively about your own opinions and attempt to shout down anyone who disagees with you. For example, you insist on referring to the SDLP and its supporters as "stoops". You don't catch me refferring to Sinn Fein as "murdering, sectarian, paedophile-hiding b**tards," do you?

I'm not a keyboard anything - I don't tend to wear my politics on my sleeve on an anonymous internet forum.

I have several times indicated things is disagree with SF on. I make no apologies for still being a supporter, and I CERTAINLY make no apologies for being a republican. Since when does being a republican exclude you from the right to discuss things on this board?
You still don't answer my question anyway Gallsman. You may think it is irrelevant but it is still is a question. If I am a "keyboard republican", are you then by extension, since you put up more posts than me, a "keyboard post-nationalist" or a "keyboard anti-republican"? Or is it only if you are a republican, do you have bestowed upon you the prefix of "keyboard..."?

P.s. You have very grandiose ideas about your posts. You resort to petty snipes and personal abuse and "ridiculing" more than anything. Not the most grown up if you ask me. If you have an issue with something I post, then discuss it with me without the use of  supposed insults like "you're a keyboard republican" or "you're an embarrassment" or "you complete imbecile" or "you are incapable narrow minded fools". You were discussing something with Bananaman which I was not involved with in the slightest yet in your reply to him, you still felt the need to use personal abuse about me, Gallsman. So you can maintain all the grand ideas about your balanced posts all you want. You are just exposing yourself as 110% anti-republican (which of course is your right, but don't start spouting about looking at both sides of an argument).
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

gallsman

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 17, 2010, 04:04:04 PM
1) It's a bit of a stretch to murdering whatever from stoops. 2) I don't know what age you are Gallsman but you don't seem to have an understanding of where the NI state came from or the issues faced by Nationalists, Catholics and Republicans up to the late 1980's early 1990's. I wonder reading your posts are you just winding people up? 3) Your revisionist posts over simply the whole NI question just as much as some of the posts from those you ridicule. Bottomline is the political situation here is not as simple as Margaret Ritchie and her poppy would have you believe, neither is it as clear cut as some republican posters believe. Our enconomy is every bit as dependant on that of the ROI as it is on the UK subvention. It is much more complicated than that but I don't have the time or inclination to go into the detail. 4) To go back to the issue of the poppy and it's symbolism and the whole NI question and where the SDLP are leading us by extension, read Nuala O'Connor's article in yesterdays Irish News.

1) Principle is principle. The point I was making is that Nally feels the need to constantly refer to the SDLP in what he and others no doubt feel is a hilariously insulting manner. I don't when it comes to any political party. Except maybe Eirigi or the BNP.

2) I'm 23 and perfectly aware of the history of this island. Further questions?

3) Revisionist posts? Where? What have I revised anywhere? I don't attempt to deny ANY attrocity committed, whether political, social or military on either the British side or "our" side. Nor do I attempt to pander to any particular entity or party

4) I don't read the Irish News, don't have a subscription and struggle to come by it in Dublin (not that I try that hard) - perhaps you could post it for me.

What the f**k the poppy and the "Northern Ireland question" have to do with each other is beyond me. Wearing the poppy is a personal choice that someone makes for personal reasons.

You appear to think that I'm a supporter of both the SDLP and Margaret Ritchie - I'm neither. I'll just speak up when I think someone is waffling away.

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 17, 2010, 04:13:56 PM
You are just exposing yourself as 110% anti-republican (which of course is your right, but don't start spouting about looking at both sides of an argument).

How am I doing that? By disagreeing with you?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: gallsman on November 17, 2010, 04:33:52 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 17, 2010, 04:04:04 PM
1) It's a bit of a stretch to murdering whatever from stoops. 2) I don't know what age you are Gallsman but you don't seem to have an understanding of where the NI state came from or the issues faced by Nationalists, Catholics and Republicans up to the late 1980's early 1990's. I wonder reading your posts are you just winding people up? 3) Your revisionist posts over simply the whole NI question just as much as some of the posts from those you ridicule. Bottomline is the political situation here is not as simple as Margaret Ritchie and her poppy would have you believe, neither is it as clear cut as some republican posters believe. Our enconomy is every bit as dependant on that of the ROI as it is on the UK subvention. It is much more complicated than that but I don't have the time or inclination to go into the detail. 4) To go back to the issue of the poppy and it's symbolism and the whole NI question and where the SDLP are leading us by extension, read Nuala O'Connor's article in yesterdays Irish News.

1) Principle is principle. The point I was making is that Nally feels the need to constantly refer to the SDLP in what he and others no doubt feel is a hilariously insulting manner. I don't when it comes to any political party. Except maybe Eirigi or the BNP.

2) I'm 23 and perfectly aware of the history of this island. Further questions?

3) Revisionist posts? Where? What have I revised anywhere? I don't attempt to deny ANY attrocity committed, whether political, social or military on either the British side or "our" side. Nor do I attempt to pander to any particular entity or party

4) I don't read the Irish News, don't have a subscription and struggle to come by it in Dublin (not that I try that hard) - perhaps you could post it for me.

What the f**k the poppy and the "Northern Ireland question" have to do with each other is beyond me. Wearing the poppy is a personal choice that someone makes for personal reasons.

You appear to think that I'm a supporter of both the SDLP and Margaret Ritchie - I'm neither. I'll just speak up when I think someone is waffling away.

You are just exposing yourself as 110% anti-republican (which of course is your right, but don't start spouting about looking at both sides of an argument).

How am I doing that? By disagreeing with you?

!!!  ???
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

dec

Airdrie put a picture of some soldiers on the front of their match program for Poppy Day.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: dec on November 17, 2010, 07:18:30 PM
Airdrie put a picture of some soldiers on the front of their match program for Poppy Day.

Aren't those German soldiers.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Still see them being worn in England, wish they would get over it.

spanner

Quote from: gallsman on November 17, 2010, 03:17:33 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 17, 2010, 02:08:57 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 17, 2010, 11:36:39 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 16, 2010, 09:35:59 PM
Gallsman, i see you are now into ridiculing those who dare to have a republican outlook on a message board. Is that the new level to stoop to? Well going by your profile, you have put up more posts than I have, and post per day average is higher than mine, what does that make you, if I'm a "keyboard republican"?

A keyboard post-nationalist?

Or is they "keyboard" prefix only necessary when attempting to ridicule people for not having similar political opinions to yours? Bit snobby that.

No, I'm specifically ridiculing you and Banana Man. Not that hard to figure out really.
I know you think you are ridiculing bananaman and myself, but that wasn't what I asked. So I'll ask my two questions again, in the hope of an answer to them the second time around.

Going by your profile, you have put up more posts than I have, and post per day average is higher than mine, so if I'm a "keyboard republican", what does that make you? A keyboard post-nationalist?

Or is they "keyboard" prefix only necessary when attempting to ridicule people for not having similar political opinions to yours?

But your question is completely irrelevant - my posts tend to examine both sides of an arguement. You post exclusively about your own opinions and attempt to shout down anyone who disagees with you. For example, you insist on referring to the SDLP and its supporters as "stoops". You don't catch me refferring to Sinn Fein as "murdering, sectarian, paedophile-hiding b**tards," do you?

I'm not a keyboard anything - I don't tend to wear my politics on my sleeve on an anonymous internet forum.

I have several times indicated things is disagree with SF on. I make no apologies for still being a supporter, and I CERTAINLY make no apologies for being a republican. Since when does being a republican exclude you from the right to discuss things on this board?
You still don't answer my question anyway Gallsman. You may think it is irrelevant but it is still is a question. If I am a "keyboard republican", are you then by extension, since you put up more posts than me, a "keyboard post-nationalist" or a "keyboard anti-republican"? Or is it only if you are a republican, do you have bestowed upon you the prefix of "keyboard..."?

P.s. You have very grandiose ideas about your posts. You resort to petty snipes and personal abuse and "ridiculing" more than anything. Not the most grown up if you ask me. If you have an issue with something I post, then discuss it with me without the use of  supposed insults like "you're a keyboard republican" or "you're an embarrassment" or "you complete imbecile" or "you are incapable narrow minded fools". You were discussing something with Bananaman which I was not involved with in the slightest yet in your reply to him, you still felt the need to use personal abuse about me, Gallsman. So you can maintain all the grand ideas about your balanced posts all you want. You are just exposing yourself as 110% anti-republican (which of course is your right, but don't start spouting about looking at both sides of an argument).

Jeez!.  Ye tuk that bad!

Hurler on the Bitch

Saw a few Peelers today with them still on. Some just love the look - perhaps, a political message taken a bit too far!

Milltown Row2

Doing that just to wind up the posters on the Gaa board. No doubt logging on to see if they get a reaction......... ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 17, 2010, 10:46:18 PM
Doing that just to wind up the posters on the Gaa board. No doubt logging on to see if they get a reaction......... ;)

That wound u up anyway.

caughtredhanded

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 17, 2010, 07:37:50 PM
Quote from: dec on November 17, 2010, 07:18:30 PM

Aren't those German soldiers.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Yes they are! Heard about this yesterday, major red faces in Airdrie.

Evil Genius

Was in a long queue in the bank today (in London) and noticed the guy in front of me still had a Poppy in his lapel.

A few minutes later, someone at one of the tellers' window completed his business and turned to leave. On his way out, he noticed the guy in front of me, whom he knew, and greeted him warmly - something along the lines of "Good to see ya, will you be around at the weekend etc"

Despite being Irish (from the accent, somewhere about the Midlands?), this second guy didn't seem to mind/notice that his friend was wearing a Poppy - fair enough, live and let live and all that.

But when the Poppy-wearer's answer revealed that he, too, was a 'Free Stater', I thought of this thread and grinned.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ONeill

Those who are offended by a poppy choose to be so. I couldn't give a dicky if they were a green kite for the memory of Japanese miners.

People should be free to display, be it on them or otherwise, symbols of anything they believe in. This 'beating it up ye' argument only exists if you are a wee bit sensitive.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

Quote from: ONeill on November 18, 2010, 11:54:38 PM
Those who are offended by a poppy choose to be so. I couldn't give a dicky if they were a green kite for the memory of Japanese miners.

People should be free to display, be it on them or otherwise, symbols of anything they believe in. This 'beating it up ye' argument only exists if you are a wee bit sensitive.

117.5% nail on the head.

muppet

Quote from: Puckoon on November 18, 2010, 11:55:28 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 18, 2010, 11:54:38 PM

117.5% nail on the head.

Ye feckin IMF feckers are everywhere.
MWWSI 2017