Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norabeag

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 11, 2010, 06:51:13 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 11, 2010, 06:39:25 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2010, 01:30:11 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 11, 2010, 12:01:16 PM
Ritchie is going to be the ruination of the stoops.  An awful politician.
Agreed

ritchie is the most hated politician in lots of areas of south down and that includes the unionists. her only support is in her home town of downpatrick and with unionists determined to keep the shinners out at any cost. her decision to wear a poppy just shows how out of touch the sdlp have become with working class nationlists.
She's not from Downpatrick and we would never claimed her. As far as I recall she's from Crossgar/Sainfield area. Though faced with a choice between her and Ruane well, it really was some choice!

ziggysego

Quote from: lurganblue on November 15, 2010, 05:46:12 PM
Saw a guy wearing one as he past me in gordons chemist earlier. Now that
Rememberance Sunday is over, when are they put away?

I saw a bloke this morning, with one on his dog's collar.  :D
Testing Accessibility

seafoid

Quote from: Banana Man on November 15, 2010, 10:44:29 PM

Tell me this Maguire, do you honestly and genuinely believe that a United Ireland is high on the agenda of Ritchie or even the SDLP for that matter?
[/quote]

Do you honestly think, Bananaman, that 51% of people living in the 26 counties want a united ireland ?  Most of them couldn't care less. 
And who do you think would pay for it ? The European Central Bank ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Banana Man

Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2010, 08:24:27 AM

Tell me this Maguire, do you honestly and genuinely believe that a United Ireland is high on the agenda of Ritchie or even the SDLP for that matter?

Do you honestly think, Bananaman, that 51% of people living in the 26 counties want a united ireland ?  Most of them couldn't care less. 
[/quote]

i think a better question seafoid would be do we want to join you's the mess you's are in. People ridicule the leaders in the north but it ain't any better in Mexico lad.

And yes I do believe it is well over 51%

Banana Man

Quote from: theskull1 on November 15, 2010, 11:17:26 PM
Arguing about united irelands one minute then x-factor the next

Personally find it hard to take someone seriously when x factor takes up part his/her daily thoughts.

your some boy skull, that's 2 little jabs you have had without coming out and saying it straight, in short your spineless, mention my name if you want to have a pop instead of shooting from the sidelines.

I might not agree with Maguire but I respect that he argues his case and engages me directly. But you need to grow a set.

As for the unimpressive attempt at a pop quoted above I didn't realise there was a pre-requisite of TV programming that was required/excluded in order to be able to debate politics  ::)

Must try harder Skull

Sallylalala

Quote from: BerfArmagh on November 04, 2010, 12:37:26 PM
Mary Byrne & the young lad from west meath were wearing them on the xfactor. Shame on them

Mary Byrne has NEVER worn a poppy on the X Factor, check back her You Tube videos, she's never, ever worn one.  I've noticed that every week.  Louis Walsh certainly does, I don't know about the lad from West Meath. 

But Mary has definitely not worn one.

Nally Stand

[/quote]

Are you one of those people who don't want a united Ireland seafoid?

I don't think nationalists/republicans in the north need to be reminded that a large degree of free state f***ers don't give a fcuk about their fellow countrymen in the six counties, as long as their county falls into one of the 26 freed ones.

History will judge ye lot very very poorly.

Although in saying that, whislt I agree that most, to their shame, don't understand and don't give a sh1t about the north of the country, if it came to a vote, yes, over 51% would vote for a UI. A LOT more.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

seafoid

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 16, 2010, 10:09:37 AM

Are you one of those people who don't want a united Ireland seafoid?
I don't think nationalists/republicans in the north need to be reminded that a large degree of free state f***ers don't give a fcuk about their fellow countrymen in the six counties, as long as their county falls into one of the 26 freed ones.
History will judge ye lot very very poorly. Although in saying that, whislt I agree that most, to their shame, don't understand and don't give a sh1t about the north of the country, if it came to a vote, yes, over 51% would vote for a UI. A LOT more.
[/quote]

I don't think the average FF moron voter cares about Northern Ireland, to be honest.  What did the South fritter the boom away on? PS salaries and an insane property mania. There was no investment in Northern Ireland other than property speculation.   When do you think southerners are likely to wake up ?
I would love to see my fellow citizens taking an interest in NI but most of them are too shortsighted and greedy.  They don't give a flying sausage about the Irish language either. 

I see the current situation continuing indefinitely. Northern Ireland is like A intersection B from maths. It is neither fully Irish nor fully British.  If I were a Unionist living in Northern Ireland all I would want is someone to keep funding my statelet. And the Brits are currently doing that. They don't want Northern Ireland either really but they feel some sort of fiscal responsibility.

Northern Ireland is a bigger version of Gibraltar.     

lynchbhoy

there was some poll recently -or while during a survey, a question was asked about whether people wanted a re-united Ireland.
Most voters (I think around 65%) said they would like to see it alright.
Its not a 'demand' for it, but people in the south certainly would like to see things back the way they should be.
However, there is the whole question of economy and jobs first.
I always mainteinted that there will have to be perfect economic conditions along with the majority population swing in the north before reunification happens. the population swing will soon be there, the economic conditions wont be for a while.

Nally & Bananaman - dont think that people n the south DONT care, its just that there are other more pressing things that need to be rectified before thinking about the 'nice to haves' !

seafoid

I don't think people realise in what bad a state the Norn irn economy is.
Something like 40% of GDP is public sector. The economy was destroyed by "the Troubles".
And never recovered.  Plus they never got over the loss of the old prod industries like shipbuilding and linen
And there is a huge problem with the non working non educated Prod underclass. 
Northern Ireland will never be financially independent. 

Maybe the south won't either over the medium term  but that is more of a FF thing.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2010, 10:45:34 AM
Something like 40% of GDP is public sector. The economy was destroyed by "the Troubles".
And never recovered.  Plus they never got over the loss of the old prod industries like shipbuilding and linen
Maybe the south won't either over the medium term  but that is more of a FF thing.
actually Seafoid - there is massive undertakings to attract dev and industry to th enorth.
huge tax breaks and incentives.
I know of a number of companies in IT sector that have set up in the north or just set up offices and employees there as a branch of their HQ's - on the back of tax breaks and capital investment from British and Irish gov's !

it will take a while but if this continues, they will have a platform - akin to our own - with low corporation taxation bringing them in.

As the north has no history of decent ICT employment - the companies dont have any proper medium to advertise for jobs, and potential candidates dont seem to know where to look.
jobs websites apparantly get hits in in the dozens and the belfast telegraph (the traditional advertisment vehicle for job in the north) got three responses to a multi jobs advert in the past 6 months (IT related roles).
That just shows that the north doesnt have the candidates- as there are jobs up there but they cant get the people !! So if any of these public sector types can see the wood from the trees and are suitably qualified, they should jump fromthat sinking ship now!
There could be light at the end of that eco disasterous tunnel that is the northern economy !

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 16, 2010, 10:52:25 AM
actually Seafoid - there is massive undertakings to attract dev and industry to th enorth.
I know of a number of companies in IT sector that have set up in the north or just set up offices and employees there as a branch of their HQ's - on the back of tax breaks and capital investment from British and Irish gov's !

it will take a while but if this continues, they will have a platform - akin to our own - with low corporation taxation bringing them in.

As the north has no history of decent ICT employment - the companies dont have any proper medium to advertise for jobs, and potential candidates dont seem to know where to look.
jobs websites apparantly get hits in in the dozens and the belfast telegraph (the traditional advertisment vehicle for job in the north) got three responses to a multi jobs advert in the past 6 months (IT related roles).
That just shows that the north doesnt have the candidates- as there are jobs up there but they cant get the people !! So if any of these public sector types can see the wood from the trees and are suitably qualified, they should jump fromthat sinking ship now!
There could be light at the end of that eco disasterous tunnel that is the northern economy !
Our place can't get software developers in the door. However does the situation not show that the North needs to diversify and move away from a reliance on IT jobs created by multinationals with no ties there other than grant aid.

theskull1

Quote from: Banana Man on November 16, 2010, 08:59:09 AM

Personally find it hard to take someone seriously when x factor takes up part his/her daily thoughts.

your some boy skull, that's 2 little jabs you have had without coming out and saying it straight, in short your spineless, mention my name if you want to have a pop instead of shooting from the sidelines.

I might not agree with Maguire but I respect that he argues his case and engages me directly. But you need to grow a set.

As for the unimpressive attempt at a pop quoted above I didn't realise there was a pre-requisite of TV programming that was required/excluded in order to be able to debate politics  ::)

Must try harder Skull
:)

I am arguing that you trying to make serious political comment one minute then tittle tattle opinions about the X factor the next, makes it impossible for me to take anything you say on these types of issues seriously. That show appeals in general to an audience that lacks the ability to think beyond the everyday minutia . Do you think the serious thinkers of our time would engage in conversions about rubbish such the Xfaxtor, bar venomously ridiculing it and its negative affects on populations? Open your eyes man  ;)

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 16, 2010, 11:09:38 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 16, 2010, 10:52:25 AM

Our place can't get software developers in the door. However does the situation not show that the North needs to diversify and move away from a reliance on IT jobs created by multinationals with no ties there other than grant aid.
once the north starts to be seen as a place where IT jobs are, it will attract a lot from the south - however there is a bit of a shortage in IT candidates down here right now too.
Eventually, if the corporation tax was set up to remain low and reflecting that of the south, the IT jobs and ICT sector would remain in good health and retain large employment.
You could say that re-unification would copper fasten this.
However if Ireland has to receive a 'bailout' it remains to be seen if a condition of this or behind the scenes agreement- would be to bring the Irish coprorate taxation rate into line with rest of EU.
then the whole of Ireland would be fecked and we are back to the 70's/80's again but this time with no outlet of USA/OZ/UK to jump to !

Banana Man

Quote from: theskull1 on November 16, 2010, 11:13:39 AM
Quote from: Banana Man on November 16, 2010, 08:59:09 AM

Must try harder Skull
:)

I am arguing that you trying to make serious political comment one minute then tittle tattle opinions about the X factor the next, makes it impossible for me to take anything you say on these types of issues seriously. That show appeals in general to an audience that lacks the ability to think beyond the everyday minutia . Do you think the serious thinkers of our time would engage in conversions about rubbish such the Xfaxtor, bar venomously ridiculing it and its negative affects on populations? Open your eyes man  ;)

right so in YOUR OPINION people who have serious political opinions aren't allowed to watch certain programming because that would impinge on their ability to think through proper policies  ::)

Also everyone that watches these type of shows do not or should not be allowed to have a political opinion but should let other people with no outside interests or a TV in their house for that matter decide what direction the entire country should go in.

so you know every single person that watches X Factor or at the very least have conducted a poll drawn from X Factor viewers, asked them politically geared questions, broken down the results and you used this as the basis for your wide sweeping generalisation.

FFS catch a grip of reality