Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: seanmacdiarmada on November 14, 2010, 10:25:49 AM
Lads, I work in the BBC, on the 11th there was a 2 minute silence in the office, I simply logged myself out of the computer and went to the toilet for 2 minutes, there was about 4 people in my office out of 20 or so wearing a poppy...on Easter I wear my Lilly for the whole week of Easter, I had only one complaint about that last year, i refused to remove it due to the poppy issue and no more was said, I have no problem with the ordinary working class unionist or Stoops (as they know no better) people wearing a poppy, I do get annoyed tho when I see the likes of Colin Farrell, Frank Mitchell (big Down GAA man, yeah rite) and the other so-called Irish celebrities who wear the poppy just because they are told to.
You of course have evidence that these people are told to wear poppies? Colin Farrell isn't an employee of the BBC so I doubt if they would have cancelled his appearance on The Graham Norton show if he said he wasn't wearing a poppy. Try again.

spanner

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 14, 2010, 12:29:31 AM
Quote from: spanner on November 13, 2010, 11:19:27 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 04, 2010, 01:12:36 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 04, 2010, 12:55:36 PM
Quote from: BerfArmagh on November 04, 2010, 12:37:26 PM
Mary Byrne & the young lad from west meath were wearing them on the xfactor. Shame on them

Good to see free choice is alive and well. If they want to wear them, so what and yes i know symbolisim etc. Plenty of Irish men in the ranks of the British Army over the years.
Money talks, all those Irish working in england wear them, its more a symbol of the irish licking the holes of brits, pandering for votes or money. I see it as selling your soul. Do they realise there supporting the comfortable retirement of all those brit soldiers who killed innocent people up North.
Is it complusary on brit tv to wear one?

My bold above.

Not forgetting that it wasn't only Brits and Loyalist Death Squads who killed innocent people up north?

As for wearing a Poppy.  I imagine that most people who do choose to wear it, would probably  do so in remembrance of those men and women ( Yes - including many Irish volunteers who didn't want to be ruled by a Fascist regime) who died in two World Wars so that most of Western Europe including Ireland, wouldn't be speaking German today.

The discussion is about poppies. Hence the relevance of brits murdering in Ireland.

If you are trying to stir sh1t, at least do so in terms relevant to the discussion ffs.

If you check above, you will see that it was Sligonian, who first mentioned "brit soldiers who killed innocent people up North".  Why didn't you have a pop at him?

Orior

Someone forgot to pin a poppy to Eddie Jordan today. Heads will roll.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

spanner

Quote from: Orior on November 14, 2010, 12:18:59 PM
Someone forgot to pin a poppy to Eddie Jordan today. Heads will roll.

Especially if it was being televised on the BBC.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 14, 2010, 12:04:16 PM
Lads, I work in the BBC, on the 11th there was a 2 minute silence in the office, I simply logged myself out of the computer and went to the toilet for 2 minutes, there was about 4 people in my office out of 20 or so wearing a poppy...on Easter I wear my Lilly for the whole week of Easter, I had only one complaint about that last year, i refused to remove it due to the poppy issue and no more was said, I have no problem with the ordinary working class unionist or Stoops (as they know no better) people wearing a poppy, I do get annoyed tho when I see the likes of Colin Farrell, Frank Mitchell (big Down GAA man, yeah rite) and the other so-called Irish celebrities who wear the poppy just because they are told to.
You of course have evidence that these people are told to wear poppies? Colin Farrell isn't an employee of the BBC so I doubt if they would have cancelled his appearance on The Graham Norton show if he said he wasn't wearing a poppy. Try again.
You think it's a coincidence they're all wearing one?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ONeill

I'm nearly sure Frank Mitchill's grandfather fought in WW2.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rossfan

Quote from: spanner on November 13, 2010, 11:19:27 PM
died in two World Wars so that most of Western Europe including Ireland, wouldn't be speaking German today.

So it's alright to have fcukin English BĂ©arla bet into us over 400 years but God forbid we might have to speak its first cousin Deutsch.
Anyway we might as well take up the Deutsch as they'll be paying our wages ,pensions etc for the next 20 years.  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Sidebottom wearing Poppy at Casement!!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Sorry, it's actually Sidebottom, not Frank Mitchell, whose grandfather was a war veteran.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on November 14, 2010, 02:48:25 PM
Sorry, it's actually Sidebottom, not Frank Mitchell, whose grandfather was a war veteran.

Correct, his oul feller is English.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 14, 2010, 12:36:30 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 14, 2010, 12:04:16 PM
You think it's a coincidence they're all wearing one?
There is a huge difference between being asked to wear one and being told/forced to wear one. I have no doubt they were asked to wear one. I can't imagine they would have been sanctioned if they refused the offer.

ziggysego

Asked or "asked".

I've no problem anyone wearing Poppies, Unionist or Nationalist. I just don't think they should feel pressured into wearing one.

Just look at the shite Alan Sugar got into on Twitter during the week, maddness.
Testing Accessibility

Sandino

If yoiu looked at Eddie Jordan today you could see that he was indeed wearing a small metal poppy pin. This was visible on the one occasion that his arm dropped to reveal the pin. Me thinks Eddie was not wearing it by choice.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

ziggysego

Quote from: Sandino on November 14, 2010, 04:56:05 PM
If yoiu looked at Eddie Jordan today you could see that he was indeed wearing a small metal poppy pin. This was visible on the one occasion that his arm dropped to revel the pin. Me thinks Eddie was not wearing it by choice.

He seemed to be doing his damnest to keep it covered.
Testing Accessibility

Hoof Hearted

celtic had them on their jerseys today, but sunderland hadn't
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012