Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cicfada

It is irritating to read the people complaining about the  wearing of the poppy on tv..it's not like they have  a choice now is it?? And that in my opinion is exactly what is wrong with the whole poppy thing!! I mean I am sure there are people of a nationalist bent who have  had family members who fought against the nazis and in world war 1 but who don't wear the poppy. Why?.....It was shoved down their throats time and time  again that they had to wear it!! So much for free will huh??

Rossfan

I noticed the newscasters on UTV this evening didnt wear any of those British symbols.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Rossfan on November 02, 2011, 09:44:21 PM
I noticed the newscasters on UTV this evening didnt wear any of those British symbols.

Roy Keane and Martin Oneill have though
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 02, 2011, 09:55:26 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 02, 2011, 09:44:21 PM

Roy Keane and Martin Oneill have though

Fair play to them, bound to not have given it a second thought too
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

(I've skipped through most of this thread.)

Who gives a toss who wears a poppy and who doesn't? Nobody should be compelled to wear one or not wear one. It's customary to pass no remarks about such things. If I saw another Irishman wearing one I'd assume that he has his reasons and leave it at that. You never know who had relatives who fought in the war.

At the same time if you were to wear every single coloured ribbon or plastic wristband that everyone pushed your way you'd walk about covered head to toe in the things. This one particular charity seems to get an inordinate amount of free publicity every year and it's a shame that a culture has built up around it that you're being "disrespectful" if you don't contribute to them. If people want to pay respects to the war dead they should be allowed to do so in their own way even if it means not donating to this particular charity or displaying a sign that they did.

bennydorano

British Public Sector Pensions are supposedly some of the best in the world as well.

Milltown Row2

Yes and when my wife retires she'll get one of those great pensions!!  happy days ;D

So will a right few posters here. Imagine that  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2011, 10:21:47 AM
Yes and when my wife retires she'll get one of those great pensions!!  happy days ;D

So will a right few posters here. Imagine that  ;)

Imagine if Ireland had defaulted on its banks debts and British banks had fallen as a result, the U.K. had to rape their pensions to save them. I wonder how many people on this board this would have affected. (I'm not worried, I will probably country hop again in a few years.)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Trio charged after poppy burning

Three teenagers have appeared in court after a photograph was posted on social networking site facebook showing a poppy being burnt.
The trio have been charged with incitement to hatred.

Two 17-year -olds and a 16-year-old, who is also charged with improper use of the public electronic communications network, appeared in court on Wednesday.

An investigation was launched after officers were made aware of the pictures.

Wonder would there have been the same response if it had been Easter lilies?
Or posters, flags, soccer and GAA tops on top of bonfires?
Tbc....

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 03, 2011, 11:08:47 AM

Three teenagers have appeared in court after a photograph was posted on social networking site facebook showing a poppy being burnt.

Two 17-year -olds and a 16-year-old, who is also charged with improper use of the public electronic communications network, appeared in court on Wednesday.

All over the U.K. they will be burning effigies up and down the country on saturday  >:(
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Bingo

So this is were everyone is hanging out now that the Aras race is over  ;D

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 11:33:40 AM

All over the U.K. they will be burning effigies up and down the country on saturday  >:(

And how many of them will have to suffer a criminal record or the stigma of a court appearence!

Good to see the PSNI are out catching the "real" criminals though.
Tbc....

Applesisapples

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 03, 2011, 11:44:16 AM

And how many of them will have to suffer a criminal record or the stigma of a court appearence!

In fairnes to the Police a complaint was made by the British Legion and they are obliged to investigate.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 03, 2011, 11:47:01 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 03, 2011, 11:44:16 AM

In fairnes to the Police a complaint was made by the British Legion and they are obliged to investigate.

Granted.
But arrested and criminal charges!!!!!

Slightly more serious incidents need investagating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15565521

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15539656

http://www.u.tv/News/Two-elderly-NI-women-attacked-in-their-homes/5645c449-8fb8-4d88-a4a8-7e7af6775ec2

http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_ireland_news.asp?id=134470

All incidents within the last week and a bit.
Tbc....

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on November 02, 2011, 07:14:02 PMSimple question, EG. Do you or do you not share the objective of 17th century planters of having Ulster part of the British empire?
That is not a "simple" question, rather it is a leading question. As such, it is not so different from asking eg a committed EU integrationist whether he shares the objective of Napoleon...

Anyhow, as far as I can tell, my Planter ancestors came from the ordinary folk who moved from Scotland to Ireland, in search of work, land and a better life for their family etc. And as Scots and (I assume) Presbyterians), they would also have received welcome refuge from discrimination by the English and Anglicanism etc. As such, they were little different from eg the Pilgrim Fathers who left Britain a decade later, to colonise what is now the United States.

Whether they were entitled to do so is a moot point, since the Law of Conquest etc was markedly different from that which governs such matters today. More importantly, whether my ancestors were big, bad Planters, or yours poor oppressed Gaels, it makes no difference to me as to how you and I should get along, .

For whilst I happen to hold the same goal of NI being British, as the Planters had for Ulster, I differ completely as to the means. That is, whereas they wanted to make Ulster British by Colonisation, I want to keep NI British by strictly Democratic means. And in the present, those means are to be found in the Good Friday Agreement - an agreement freely and democratically entered into by descendants of both Planter and Gael.

Therefore, having answered your question, I might ask you whether you agree with the precepts of the GFA as a means of settling differences, or whether you refer back to the methods of the 17th Century, such as Colonisation and Rebellion? After all, you continually keep throwing those times into the debate, as eg when you asked: "So events of 400 years ago do not impinge on our day- to- day lives today?"

P.S. If we were to accept your thesis that the events of 1608 inevitably influence the events of 2011 etc, then are we not morally-bound to put right the wrongs of that earlier period? Indeed if we are to take your "principles" to their logical conclusion, should we not seek to reverse the Plantation altogether, by sending their descendants back whence they came? I have to say, that would not be such a hardship for me personally, but I daresay Ulster folk with such impeccably Planter names as eg Adams or Hume might have something to say about that... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"