Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Green

stew

Can Fearon expect a poppy wearing McAfee to "just happen be in the area" and for him to stop in for a friendly wee chat during poppy wearing season?

Sad bastids all.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on November 01, 2011, 06:43:24 PMThe British vandals broke up monasteries and the like and inhibited the circulation of scholars, ensuring the balkanisation of Gaelic.
I think you'll find The Vandals were busy breaking up Monastries elsewhere, and rather earlier. Earlier, even, than eg the Vikings.

As for the 17th Century British colonists, I think you'll find that many of them had refined their Monastry-breaking skills, both in Ireland and at home, nearly a Century earlier:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissolution_of_the_Monasteries
So maybe it wan't personal after all?

In any case, it explains why 'Apples', too, was talking balls when he implied there was still a single, standardised system of spelling Irish by the beginning of the 19th Century.

"Clear The Way!"  ;)

Quote from: armaghniac on November 01, 2011, 06:43:24 PMThe people who lost out most in this  balkanisation were the Manx who lost their spelling and who had a pseudo Welsh orthography  applied to their language which disguises that it is Gaelic.
Indeed.

Oh for a Manx Republican Army, to right (write?) the wrongs of 800 years of oppresshun etc... :o
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hardy

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 01, 2011, 06:52:32 PMyou felt moved to "clarify" (shall we say?) my post, even though it was not incorrect?

I think that says more about you than me...

WTF???

I wasn't clarifying your post. I was adding an item of information.

What do you think you've learned about me from that?

Wait - I don't care.

armaghniac

E.G. perhaps you had better acquaint yourself with the English language and spend less time gloating over the damage done to Gaelic by your ancestors.

van·dal    [van-dl]
noun
1. (initial capital letter) a member of a Germanic people who in the 5th century a.d. ravaged Gaul and Spain, settled in Africa, and in a.d. 455 sacked Rome.
2. a person who willfully or ignorantly destroys or mars something beautiful or valuable.

As I did not use a capital letter I meant the second meaning.

But now that you mention it, the Vandals were a Germanic tribe of barbarian wreckers, a description that also fits their Anglo-Saxon cousins' actions in Ireland.

Quote from: Evil GeniusAs for the 17th Century British colonists, I think you'll find that many of them had refined their Monastry-breaking skills, both in Ireland and at home, nearly a Century earlier:

Dissolving monasteries in your own country is one thing, invading the neighbours and dissolving their's is somewhat personal.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: armaghniac on November 01, 2011, 09:14:53 PM
E.G. perhaps you had better acquaint yourself with the English language and spend less time gloating over the damage done to Gaelic by your ancestors.

van·dal    [van-dl]
noun
1. (initial capital letter) a member of a Germanic people who in the 5th century a.d. ravaged Gaul and Spain, settled in Africa, and in a.d. 455 sacked Rome.
2. a person who willfully or ignorantly destroys or mars something beautiful or valuable.

As I did not use a capital letter I meant the second meaning.

But now that you mention it, the Vandals were a Germanic tribe of barbarian wreckers, a description that also fits their Anglo-Saxon cousins' actions in Ireland.

Quote from: Evil GeniusAs for the 17th Century British colonists, I think you'll find that many of them had refined their Monastry-breaking skills, both in Ireland and at home, nearly a Century earlier:

Dissolving monasteries in your own country is one thing, invading the neighbours and dissolving their's is somewhat personal.

The Vandals were actually misrepresented by the Romans for destroying Carthage (hence the propeganda of the use of the word vandalism), which they did not, they took it off the Romans. However when the Romans took Carthage off the Carthaginian, they in fact are the ones who destroyed or vandalised it.

You should actually read the history not the Roman propeganda.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Rossfan

Quote from: Rossfan on October 28, 2011, 12:16:55 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on October 27, 2011, 11:41:20 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 27, 2011, 09:26:47 PMOf course there was a standardised spelling of Irish from the time we became Christianised ( 5th Century ) till we were enslaved and impoverished in the 17th ( by the forebears of the EGs of this world no doubt ).
As Hardstation would say, "Really?" I think you're bluffing on this one...

I think you and that other buck will find that the learned classes that gave us the Book of Kells , Annals of the 4 Masters , Annals of Loch Cé etc etc would all have learned to spell the same way  ;).

Where do I say  that the Book of Kells was written in Irish. ;) :P :-*

A lot of Ballls written by th'Evil one methinks

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Evil Genius

Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2011, 09:39:40 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 28, 2011, 12:16:55 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on October 27, 2011, 11:41:20 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 27, 2011, 09:26:47 PMOf course there was a standardised spelling of Irish from the time we became Christianised ( 5th Century ) till we were enslaved and impoverished in the 17th ( by the forebears of the EGs of this world no doubt ).
As Hardstation would say, "Really?" I think you're bluffing on this one...

I think you and that other buck will find that the learned classes that gave us the Book of Kells , Annals of the 4 Masters , Annals of Loch Cé etc etc would all have learned to spell the same way  ;).

Where do I say  that the Book of Kells was written in Irish. ;) :P :-*

A lot of Ballls written by th'Evil one methinks
When someone states:
"Of course there was a standardised spelling of Irish from the time we became Christianised ( 5th Century ) till we were enslaved and impoverished in the 17th"
and then, when called on it, replies:
"I think you and that other buck will find that the learned classes that gave us the Book of Kells , Annals of the 4 Masters , Annals of Loch Cé etc etc would all have learned to spell the same way",
the inference is clear and unmistakeable: he (you) hadn't realised it was in Latin.  :D

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Forever Green

Evil Genius

Quote from: hardstation on November 01, 2011, 09:43:44 PM
Jaysus, this went mad. I still have to agree with EG. It was, imo, Rossfan who made the false claim, not EG. Although some info was added about a standard literary form in the Bardic tradition, it is irrelevant.

I also feel that the Irish bards were just a bunch of ball licking cnuts who feathered their own nest for an easy life. I mean, they wrote wee poems for their master and got to share his bed. FFS.
Well that (bold) may be one Irish tradition which has passed unbroken and unaltered from ancient times... ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

Feathering ones own nest is long tradition. On the moral front it sure beats the cuckoo style occupation of other people's nests.

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on November 02, 2011, 12:38:54 AM
Feathering ones own nest is long tradition. On the moral front it sure beats the cuckoo style occupation of other people's nests.
And were the Gaels the first birds to nest in Ireland, then?  ::)

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

QuoteAnd were the Gaels the first birds to nest in Ireland, then?  ::)

Typical Brit, ignorant of Irish history.  ::)

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on November 02, 2011, 12:52:26 AM
QuoteAnd were the Gaels the first birds to nest in Ireland, then?  ::)

Typical Brit, ignorant of Irish history.  ::)
Is that an answer?  ???

Anyhow...

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Forever Green