Ros v Dubs tomorrow

Started by The Hill is Blue, May 27, 2023, 03:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: thewobbler on May 29, 2023, 09:53:24 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2023, 09:38:10 PM
You sound like a right misery guts ::)

No. Just frustrated at Gaelic Football. Senior county football looked like it was turning a corner not so long ago. But with Rory Gallagher's reemergence, and now Armagh and Roscommon determining that the best way to progress is by removing any potential for mistakes, we are about to take a giant step backwards again in Jimmy McGuinness land.... Unless the rule makers step in.

What's with the beef you have with Jimmy McGuinness?  The way Donegal played in 2012 and the win against Dublin in All Ireland semi final in 2014 was good the only issue with it was the shelf life of it was short as it took serious strength and conditioning to make it effective and those players was pretty much burnt out by 2015.   

Quote from: thewobbler on May 29, 2023, 09:53:24 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2023, 09:38:10 PM
You sound like a right misery guts ::)

No. Just frustrated at Gaelic Football. Senior county football looked like it was turning a corner not so long ago. But with Rory Gallagher's reemergence, and now Armagh and Roscommon determining that the best way to progress is by removing any potential for mistakes, we are about to take a giant step backwards again in Jimmy McGuinness land.... Unless the rule makers step in.

Why should Roscommon go out play gung ho football and get hammered?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: thewobbler on May 29, 2023, 09:22:36 PM
Dublin were interesting yesterday. They weren't for wasting energy unnecessarily. It probably says more about the format of the competition than anything about them.

Don't believe Dublin was doing that it was more the way Dublin are now with Dessie Farrell in charge and with a heap of players with a lot of mileage on the clock. The 2nd half and all of extra time of 2021 semi final against Mayo wasn't much different to Dublin's performance yesterday.

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on May 29, 2023, 01:13:52 PM
Quote from: sensini on May 29, 2023, 12:58:20 PM
If Donie Smith had his shooting boots would have won that handy. Referee gave little frees in second half to Roscommon.  Someone in Croke Park must have changed the Referee at HT because wasn't looking after the dubs 🙄
Yawn.

Setting up a second account to post about a game you didn't even watch.

Enthralling stuff 🙄
He's not the only one,  a certain poster wrote this earlier in the thread before making plenty of comments about the game ;D

Quote from: Hound on May 28, 2023, 04:53:19 PM
I'm only listening to it on the radio. Presumably the only reason Ros can play keep ball for 5 min periods is that Dublin are not putting any pressure on the ball player or ball receiver?

onefineday

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on May 29, 2023, 12:26:28 PM
A great performance by Roscommon yesterday. But surely no one can be surprised by this. They are a strong team who have battled it out with the top teams in the country over the past year and who came to Croke Park well prepared for the game. They came up against a Dublin team who had not been exposed to the required level of intensity for some time - and yet in the end Roscommon were lucky to get away with the draw. It may be that this will be the closest Roscommon will get to Dublin for some time.
Nonsense, Dublin are a pale shadow of what they were for most of the last decade.
So far this year kildare should have closed out the Leinster semi, Derry beat them, Clare should have held on, cork had a great chance to beat them too, didn't see the first kildare league game, but all of these games were more or less the minimum margin, they've had plenty of tight intense games this year.

onefineday

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 29, 2023, 02:20:04 PM
Quote from: onefineday on May 29, 2023, 12:10:28 AM
The complaint from me as a neutral is that I have to watch that shite and that the gaa won't do anything to limit it and the packed 15 man defence.
Game after game it's the same rubbish, cat and mouse for 50 mins of keep ball and if we're lucky a game then breaks out.
And that's at the top level, what's even worse is club football right around the country, where this non contact hybrid between rugby league and basketball is beginning to dominate. Intercounty we can just about cope with given the athleticism and invention that we can witness, but at club level, it's usually entirely unwatchable and not exactly fun for the participants either.

Out of interest what was your thoughts on the recent Ulster final?  I'd agree with this recent discussion with Michael Foley,Enda McGinley skip to 55.55.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb9jyjSh6hI
My thoughts on the ulster final were the same as they were fir last year's ulster final and the Derry v Galway semi and I'd say the same as any rossie felt yesterday, it's watchable when you've a dog in the fight, but horrible for 90% of the rest.
Wobbler and I have both been consistent about this for the past year, we know why teams do it, but in my opinion the rules have to change to take away this option because it really is damaging the game at all levels, especially lower levels.

befair

Quote from: onefineday on May 30, 2023, 12:07:35 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 29, 2023, 02:20:04 PM
Quote from: onefineday on May 29, 2023, 12:10:28 AM
The complaint from me as a neutral is that I have to watch that shite and that the gaa won't do anything to limit it and the packed 15 man defence.
Game after game it's the same rubbish, cat and mouse for 50 mins of keep ball and if we're lucky a game then breaks out.
And that's at the top level, what's even worse is club football right around the country, where this non contact hybrid between rugby league and basketball is beginning to dominate. Intercounty we can just about cope with given the athleticism and invention that we can witness, but at club level, it's usually entirely unwatchable and not exactly fun for the participants either.
This is true; it's even worse at club livel. Some rule change is necessary, maybe changing to 13-a-side?

Out of interest what was your thoughts on the recent Ulster final?  I'd agree with this recent discussion with Michael Foley,Enda McGinley skip to 55.55.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb9jyjSh6hI
My thoughts on the ulster final were the same as they were fir last year's ulster final and the Derry v Galway semi and I'd say the same as any rossie felt yesterday, it's watchable when you've a dog in the fight, but horrible for 90% of the rest.
Wobbler and I have both been consistent about this for the past year, we know why teams do it, but in my opinion the rules have to change to take away this option because it really is damaging the game at all levels, especially lower levels.

Rossfan

What rule change d'ye want?
You can't pass the ball to a team mate?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41150701.html
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on May 30, 2023, 08:25:33 AM
What rule change d'ye want?
You can't pass the ball to a team mate?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41150701.html

It was remarkable to even have the balls to attempt that 6 minutes passage of play against Dublin in Croke Park.  A more than credible draw (could have should have won) is a big improvement from the last time Roscommon played Dublin in the championship, which was 4 years and 18 point defeat.  A selection of the comments after that match including your own.

Quote from: Hound on July 20, 2019, 07:58:31 PM
Roscommon though are probably perfect opponents to allow Dublin show their stuff.

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 20, 2019, 08:11:04 PM
They'll have to take ALL the games out of Croke Park at this rate. Too many matches being played in funereal atmospheres. Doesn't make for an attractive product.

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2019, 08:41:55 PM
Dublin are simply a brilliant football team regardless of all the advantages they may or may not have. But feck me their games are incredibly boring to watch.

Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2019, 12:52:19 AM
Just home from this away game.
Weary, depressed, disappointed for the lads but it was amateur boys against professional men.
Hard to know where we go from here, how many lads will have the appetite to slog it out over the winter again.

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2019, 04:26:37 PM
how can you sell a game to players where you are telling them to do their best and keep the score down? It's depressing.

But we need a rule change now because little old Roscommon found a way to be competitive against the mighty Dubs?

thewobbler

See, no.

It's the same rule change that was needed a few years ago to prevent teams in front from clock-killing, of which Dublin were prime exponents and Ciaran Kilkenny was executor in chief.

It was a dour way to win games when Dublin did it. It's a dour way to stay competitive now Ros does it.

As mentioned above I have absolute respect for Ros for being competitive and disciplined.

But anyone who believes that our game would not be improved by the prevention elongated periods of non-contact possession, I honestly feel sorry for you. The Gaelic football bar now has been set so low for you, that you can gain enjoyment from a handful of passages of play, over 70 minutes. This is no way to live folks. Demand better.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: onefineday on May 29, 2023, 11:59:05 PM
A great performance by Roscommon yesterday. But surely no one can be surprised by this. They are a strong team who have battled it out with the top teams in the country over the past year and who came to Croke Park well prepared for the game. They came up against a Dublin team who had not been exposed to the required level of intensity for some time - and yet in the end Roscommon were lucky to get away with the draw. It may be that this will be the closest Roscommon will get to Dublin for some time.
Nonsense, Dublin are a pale shadow of what they were for most of the last decade.
So far this year kildare should have closed out the Leinster semi, Derry beat them, Clare should have held on, cork had a great chance to beat them too, didn't see the first kildare league game, but all of these games were more or less the minimum margin, they've had plenty of tight intense games this year.

Some fair points there.

Of course "Dublin are a pale shadow of what they were for most of the last decade", and it's for that reason that Dessie Farrell spent the league and Leinster Championship trying to beef up the squad. They didn't go out trying to wipe teams out but at the end of the day they managed to win Leinster and finish top of Division 2.

If we're honest, with the new championship format, it's very hard to assess where any of the teams stand now. There are a lot of games to be played yet. And we're all hoping for the best for our own favourites.

COYBIB

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

larryin89

There is a lot giddyness creeping in , my advice to all these giddy counties from a former professional giddyness merchant is stay calm cause it gets a whole lot different when the bigger dude counties start to fully stretch the legs . Dublin were pish n Sunday compared to what they were capable of in their pomp but on reflection who's to say they are not getting primed for qf stage , likes of mannion might never get back to top stride but what if he does .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Captain Obvious

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on May 30, 2023, 04:04:17 PM

Some fair points there.

Of course "Dublin are a pale shadow of what they were for most of the last decade", and it's for that reason that Dessie Farrell spent the league and Leinster Championship trying to beef up the squad. They didn't go out trying to wipe teams out but at the end of the day they managed to win Leinster and finish top of Division 2.

If we're honest, with the new championship format, it's very hard to assess where any of the teams stand now. There are a lot of games to be played yet. And we're all hoping for the best for our own favourites.

COYBIB

Trying to beef up the squad, how successful has Dessie Farrell got with that in the last 4 years?  Instead of trying to make more new faces become established starters he's brought back Paul Mannion,Jack McCaffrey,Stephen Cluxton and then you have 35 year old Michael Fitzsimons who was unavailable for the Leinster championship drafted right back into the starting 15 on Sunday.

seafoid

Some fair points there.

COYBIB

Winning Leinster is meaningless. Winning D2 isn't much to shout about either
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2023, 06:40:34 PM

Some fair points there.

COYBIB

Winning Leinster is meaningless. Winning D2 isn't much to shout about either

I'm not sure what your point is. Maybe you'd like to read my post carefully again and see what I actually said
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8