Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

ExiledGael

Didn't see the Cavan challenge games or hear any reports from it at all. Should make it to Skea this Sunday for the McKenna opener though. Very interesting to see the line out or if O'Rourke will have any style of play implemented at this early stage.

As for McCabe is he even on the county squad? BBC reporting he's signed for Glentoran, turning down an offer from Derry City so that would make any committment to the county tougher than ever. Shortly before he left Dungannon Rodney McAree requested to be placed on the transfer list. He wasn't, McCabe was with the boss stating that in doing so he had the support of several members of the first team. Heard the stag do story doing the rounds and players didn't want him as part of the team, especially as captain.

ExiledGael

Decent performance today in Lisnaskea from Fermanagh against St Marys, but drifted in and out of the game scoring heavily in bursts. Though it must be said St Marys were very poor.
Shaun Doherty was impressive at times, scored around 1-4 in total. Good to see Marty McGrath back and though he struggled his way through the game it will do him the world of good. Tommy McElroy another to impress but we struggled in the full-back line. Though with Owens and Bogue to come that shouldn't be a worry.
Wasn't impressed with Gallagher in goals from St Galls, few fumbles and just doesn't inspire confidence despite his constant barking of instructions. Loudest man in the ground today, but won't keep out Tinney/Breen or even Murphy from Queens.
O'Rourke played his strongest possible team almost and at least we now have won as many games this year as we did in the whole of 2007 already.
Good to see Tom Brewster, Ryan McCluskey and Shane McCabe in the crowd, which was probably 1000 or so.

inisceithleann

Good result today, and I have great confidence for this season, don't know why, but I like the sounds coming from the camp. O'Rourke has just given the panel a bit if a lift I think. Good to see those fellas watching it, but as regards McCabe, I don't think Glentoran or the East Belfast faithful will be impressed, if McCabe commits himself to Fermanagh. We may have to wait until the end of the soccer season for his return. Anyone have the line up for todays game?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

ExiledGael

Agree that we won't see McCabe until the soccer season is dead, but McCluskey should feature. Good to see them down all the same.

Not certain of scorers and but this is almost right at least

Ronan Gallagher (St Galls)

Declan Campbell (Tempo)
Paddy Mohan (Brookeborough)
Shane Goan (Irvinestown)
Tommy McElroy (Brookeborough) 0-1
Shane McDermott (Donagh)
Damien Kelly (Tempo)

Marty McGrath (Ederney)
Mark Murphy (Derrylin)

Mark Little (Lisnaskea, captain) 0-3 frees
Shaun Doherty (Kinawley) 1-5, 3 frees
Matthew Keenan (Enniskillen) (also very impressive at times) 0-4, 3 frees
Paul Ward (Derrygonnelly) 0-2
Liam McBarron (Kilmacud) 0-2
Eamon Maguire (Donagh)

Subs: Peter Sherry (Roslea), Declan O'Reilly (Teemore), Ciaran McElroy (Ballinascreen), Pat Cadden (Donagh) 0-1, Ciaran Boyle (Brookeborough).

inisceithleann

Good to see Paul Ward scoring a few, he was the best corner forward in Fermanagh last year. Mattie Keenan is a real talent as well, though is a bit light for inter county level. Is Little the captain then for this season?

ExiledGael

Not sure, announcer said 'and the Fermanagh captain today is Mark Little'. May just have been because he was the only Lisnaskea man on the team at their ground on the day. Wouldn't have thought he was captain material, great player on his day but he seems fairly quiet and withdrawn at times.

FermPundit

I didn't get to the match as I've been struggling with the flu but I was pleased to hear of the win. To put 1-18 on the scoreboard is impressive regardless of how poor St. Mary's were. In 2007 Fermanagh had bags of possession but couldn't turn it into scores. Hopefully today is a sign of positive things to come this year.

It looks like Malachy is going to try and use Liam McBarron at full forward. It hasn't really worked before but I see he got 2 points today. What were your impressions Exiled?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

inisceithleann

Quote from: FermPundit on January 06, 2008, 09:51:47 PM
I didn't get to the match as I've been struggling with the flu but I was pleased to hear of the win. To put 1-18 on the scoreboard is impressive regardless of how poor St. Mary's were. In 2007 Fermanagh had bags of possession but couldn't turn it into scores. Hopefully today is a sign of positive things to come this year.

It looks like Malachy is going to try and use Liam McBarron at full forward. It hasn't really worked before but I see he got 2 points today. What were your impressions Exiled?

No harm to Liam but i'd like to see Stevie Maguire in there, and O'Rourke hasn't given up hope of persuading him back. What other newcomers were on the panel today?

ExiledGael

McBarron was McBarron, a legend in his own right but not of a good enough quality to bother any decent inter-county full-back. Still good enough option as a spoiler at midfield to "cla" about as only he knows. Have tonnes of respect for the man and his dedication and desire.
These rumours about Maguire never seem to go away but I've never read/seen/heard anything to suggest he will ever even think about returning. After the county final he said he was leaving the county to the younger generation and he would not return.
Would love to see him back, but it seems like wishful thinking at this stage. He must be touching 30 now?

inisceithleann

Aye Stevie must be 30 at this stage. Strange that he doesn't seem interested in coming back, he was excellent in 2004. I know work seems to be the big issue so doesn't look like he'll be coming back at this stage.

ExiledGael

Another encouraging result tonight, allbeit over a makeshift Armagh side. 1-11 to 0-10.
Know most of line up, Chris Breen, Declan Campbell, Shane McDermott, ??, Raymie Johnston, Shane Lyons, Shane Goan, James Sherry, Ciaran Boyle, Ryan Keenan, Shaun Doherty, Ciaran McElroy, Ronan McCabe, Liam McBarron, Pat Cadden.
Apparently McElroy, Lyons, Cadden, Johnston were all good.
Very experimental after all, very positive start for the new manager but hope we don't get that carried away. Just build up a positive spirit for the League and Championship and get used to winning games for a change.
Apparently the Derry game on Sunday has been changed to Maghera.

FermPundit

Declan O'Reilly is your missing man I think Exiled. I hear Pat Cadden was the best player on the field by a mile. I always thought he was a decent enough club player but I wasn't sure if he'd make the grade at inter county level. It looks like it'll be very competitive for places in the squad which is excellent to see. Fermanagh have scored 2-29 in the last two games. When was the last time this was achieved?

Yep, I heard the game has been moved to Maghera. I'll hopefully be able to get to it at the weekend

FermPundit

Fermanagh scorers

Pat Cadden 0-04
Ronan McCabe 0-02
Shaun Doherty 0-02
Ciaran McElroy 0-02
Liam McBarron 1-0

Not sure who got the other point but I think it was Kieran Leonard

ExiledGael

I'll be there anyway. Seen quite a bit of Pat Cadden, usually running after him, always very stylish and probably more suited to inter-county action than club if that makes sense. Not really a grinder or a battler but a very talented player with a great left foot.
So far so good

inisceithleann

Always like Cadden as a footballer, but think he doesn't contribute enough from open play. There will be fierce competition for places now. Good to see Ronan McCabe back, he's been a class footballer for the last ten years, even if his powers wained a bit at club level in the last few seasons. I dunno about yous boys, but I've a great feeling about this season. There is a real buzz about it, and it's only the McKenna Cup.