2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Building strength does not mean reducing speed.

Just look at any top level sprinter - they are absolutely built, yet the fastest people in the world.

If being skinny made you fast, Usain Bolt and co would look like a skinny marathoner - but they're built.

Case closed.

blueandwhite1

It's sort of tragic the way in Laois we think that has to be one thing or the other.

Dublin are fast and physical and skillful and play to a rigid gameplan and are creative and focus on their pipeline coming through. No point in choosing one thing to focus on, you have to have it all to be competitive.

Our problem is that we are neither fast nor physical nor particulary skillful nor play to any gameplan yet.

In our best days we had speed and skill but got passed out by teams who added physicality and structure.

Can't make a good cake without all the ingredients in sufficient quantities.

les Antiques

Myth: Lifting weights will bulk you up, which hinders your speed/agility.

Fact :Try to build lean muscle by lifting less weight but performing more reps. You can always grow stronger without compromising your mobility. 

town1980

I miss the days the Laois teams and games used to excite me our players were house hold names known the length and breath of the country...nowadays it's silly chat about SnC and all the excuses that roll with it...god I miss the good old days

High Fielder

Nail on head moment Town. Fair play to them, all of them, for giving up their time and putting the hard work in. But there's a pointlessness to this, and to the GAA, that is hard to ignore. You can't blame those Limerick lads in all honesty. It will come the day when a county can't field a team. The sooner the better in my opinion because no sport worth its name can exist with such imbalances.

Tony

I think we're getting to a point (within the next 5 to 10 years) where you either pay the inter county players for their time, or you lose them in droves. It's getting to the point where you have to commit 5 or 6 training sessions per week, just to be somewhat competitive. It's not sustainable.

portlaoisekid

For me the inter county scene is pretty much dead and buried for teams outside the top 8 under the current structure.

No excitement, no buzz anymore and we have players expected to devote their lives to this and all they get is failure and endless abuse. Anyone that commits fully to the regime and represents Laois is a credit to the county.

OTF

Quote from: portlaoisekid on January 19, 2018, 08:57:01 AM
For me the inter county scene is pretty much dead and buried for teams outside the top 8 under the current structure.

No excitement, no buzz anymore and we have players expected to devote their lives to this and all they get is failure and endless abuse. Anyone that commits fully to the regime and represents Laois is a credit to the county.

But the answer to the problem is there in front of us.

Senior
Intermediate
Junior

10 teams in each grade or thereabouts, each county can have one team only.

But will our pride allow it........doubt it.

Laoisguy

I have been somewhat critical at times ....but I have to agree with The Kid

These guys are putting in major effort and I hope they do really well and derive real satisfaction for the effort put in

Completely understandable if the head drops with expectations in counties

Don Draper

Quote from: town1980 on January 18, 2018, 10:10:52 PM
I miss the days the Laois teams and games used to excite me our players were house hold names known the length and breath of the country...nowadays it's silly chat about SnC and all the excuses that roll with it...god I miss the good old days
I miss Bosco, he was great fun. I miss the good old days, before mortgages and kids and work.

Butch Cassidy

Ben Conroy still with the footballers lads?

Don Draper

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on January 19, 2018, 11:29:33 AM
Ben Conroy still with the footballers lads?
Back with the hurlers these past few weeks.

Unlaoised

Playing Louth Sunday somewhere in the big smoke!

I heard Louth beat Kildare in a recent game!
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 19, 2018, 11:59:31 AM
Playing Louth Sunday somewhere in the big smoke!

I heard Louth beat Kildare in a recent game!

Did this go ahead? Anyone got a report if so.